“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Cedar Rapids, United States
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

The room was typical, but good as expected. The restaurant and bar had wide range of choices with very reasonable prices—much less than expected at a Hilton Mark. The regular shuttle bus to the local mall was definitely a plus.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel several times over the last ten years and have always enjoyed the experience. It is far nicer than most other hotels farther into Fairfax County that I am aware of. The bar and restaurant serve very good food at reasonable prices and are open late which is important to me.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Ohio, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I spent one night at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center prior to a morning meeting at the Mark Center. Logistically this was ideal as the hotel is located directly across the road from where my meeting was held, so easily within in walking distance (seriously, it was like walking a long, dog-leg par 4 from the hotel exit to the entrance to the Mark Center.

In addition to the location being ideal, the hotel was very nice and had everything I needed for the one night. The hotel personnel who I dealt with was all very friendly and helpful. I had reserved a standard king-bed room, but was given a corner king room, on an upper floor, so I had a little more space and a very nice view with DC in the distance.

The room had all the amenities (more than I used for the one night): ironing board and iron (that I did use), coffee maker (that I never use); there was a hairdryer and all the usual soaps and shampoos plus plenty of towels. There is also an in room safe that is very handy. The room was clean and comfortable. It took me a little while to find the temperature controls, but once I did, I was able to get the setting to a cooler temperature so that I could get a good night’s sleep.

I requested a late checkout as my meeting ran until after the standard noon checkout time and I wanted to change out of my suit for the trip home. No issues at all as they nice young lady at the front desk extended my checkout to 2:30 (note that she had to get a special room key programmed and the standard keys become inactive at the normal checkout time). Anyway, that worked out well for me as I could leave by luggage in the room and was able to change back into my comfy clothes for the trip home.

I ate at the hotel restaurant twice during my stay; dinner on arrival night and lunch before departing. I went with the small-plate menu for dinner and tried the club sandwich which was quite tasty and for lunch I opted for the crabcake sandwich, another very good choice. They were offering a lunch buffet that looked very good, but was just what I was in the mood for (the price for the buffet was $12.95 without drink, but had a nice variety of selections including desserts, but the crabcake just sound too good to pass up). Service at the restaurant was outstanding during both dinner and lunch and the food was great, so a good deal all around.

There was no business center, but there were computers in the lobby that were open for use for printing boarding passes or checking the web and email. There was also a small store (snacks and personal items) adjacent to the main desk. I also noticed a rental car office and a barber shop in the lobby. There is bar in the lobby, but it seemed to be closed the evening that I was there. The lobby was nicely appointed and had plenty of space to hang-out, plus there were several TVs in the lobby so that you could catch up on the news or watch the current sporting event. Overall it was a very nice setting.

Bottom line is that I would certainly stay at this property again.

Room Tip: Room 2415 is a corner king room that faces more or less east; nice view of DC and I had a nice sunri...
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Went home to DC for a weekend stay, and didn't want to stay in the City. This was a perfect location. The rooms where clean and the view of the city was a nice addition. The Bar downstairs was great. I must say, if you want to throw an event there is plenty of space. The was an indoor pool and and outdoor pool. Nice and clean Fitness Center as Well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Bruceton Mills, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Our most recent experience at this hotel was perfect. Hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our dinner at the Finn and Porter restaurant (which is connected to this hotel) was absolutely perfect as well! This is one of our favorite restaurants to dine at when in Alexandria; they have excellent steaks and seafood and their sushi is awesome as well. The food, service, and atmosphere were all top notch. Our server, Lula, was absolutely wonderful and very personable/friendly. We will definitely be requesting her by name whenever we dine there in the future. Great job Hilton Alexandria staff, well done!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Please watch you security Deposit that they hold for you. If you are using a credit card they charged my card $50.00 a day and I had two rooms for a total stay 5 nights. By the time I checked out the totals were very high and wrong. So after they "Fixed it" now I must wait 7-10 for the credit card company to release the "extra charges" Also was told at check in that my parking fee would be 9.50 a day. When the bill came to the room why was it $24.00 a day. Never again will I go to this Hilton. Please watch out for your hard earn money because they don't care! Period

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Ralph P, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor member
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and observations.. I assure you that my team and I are working very hard to provide all of our guests with the products and services that will allow us to exceed your expectations. Your comments indicate that you had an issue with your credit card hold, for which I sincerely apologize. Please understand that when guests use a debit card, the bank puts a $50.00 hold on your funds to cover incidental expenses. We do not actually charge the card until a guest charges an item to their room. The hold is controlled by the banks and many times when we request the hold to be released, it takes them days to free up the funds. We do have signage on our front desk explaining how financial institutions handle debit cards.
Again, thank you for sharing your observations and please know that we value your business and we look forward to being of service to you in the very near future.

Sincerely

Ralph Priesing
Delaware Road-Tripping Family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Recently spent two nights at the Mark Center.

Overall, a very comfortable stay but we were there during a very quiet time. Hotel was at low capacity, so there were zero issues with elevator delays, restaurant service, etc.

Rate was extremely inexpensive which is part of the 4* rating. Otherwise, it would have been 3* average.

Room was nicely decorated but showing its age. Wallpaper was starting to peel near one bed (also bubbling along the seams in different parts of the hallway), grout was nasty in several areas of the bathroom, and the carpet had quite a few stains. Bed was comfortable, however - killer pillows. Room ran hot but was easily adjusted.

Bathroom lighting was AMAZING. I've never looked so good! No fan so our room got steamy after showers (there were 3 of us in a 2Q room).

Hallways and common areas were VERY clean and kept quite neat. Very comfortable seating in the lobby area. Lots of chairs, sofas, etc. to pick from.

Front desk service was friendly and efficient, no complaints.

Parking garage was about only 1/4 full, so good spots were easy to find. Received a discount rate; otherwise, it would have been WAY overpriced at $24/day. WIFI was given to us free of charge. Couldn't believe that they otherwise would have charged $10/day. Ridiculous.

Restaurant service was very efficient but a little bored. We got a quick take-out a couple times. Food was OK for the price charged. Calamari = yummy! Bacon in the turkey club was nasty and hard - disappointing.

No coffee bar! Had to run to Starbucks down the street, boo.

Overall, a pleasant stay. I might stay again here depending on the packages offered with discounted parking, WIFI, etc.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hilton Alexandria Mark Center? Share your experiences!