“OK if you don't care about money” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Parking & Wifi Deal!
Ranked #25 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Winthrop, Maine, United States
“OK if you don't care about money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I was amazed to find that I had to pay $10 for WiFi for my laptop. Then when I tried to get WiFi on my iPhone, they wanted another $10. In the morning when I am helpless without my coffee, I did not find complementary coffee available in the lobby/lounge. I needed to take a Shuttle to the Metro and then search for breakfast and coffee. The local food options are pretty expensive. I did not have my car available because the parking at the hotel costs a daily fee (maybe $24). The room was nice/clean etc. but I was irritable the whole stay because of being nickeled and dimed and transportation hassles.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time towrite a review about your experience at our hotel. I understand that you were unhappy with some of the charges and I apologize for any miscommunication. We strive to create a wonderful and affordable guest experience. Thank you again for your review.
We hope to have the opportunity to be of service again soon.

Charlie Banta

682 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Pembroke, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My stay was brief, however, all of the services I recrived were very efficiently and professionally delivered: check-in / check-out, concierge, Finn & Porter restaurant, and taxi valet. Even the elevators were lickety-split responsive.

Room was clean and well-appointed in traditional Hilton high standards. Though I was travelling alone on business, the queen size (vs. double) beds in my room make this room style attractive for my next family vacation visit.

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Alexandria, Virginia was our home for over thirty years. During the time that the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center has been open it has supported many special events for our family. Some events were formal; our son's wedding reception, special birthdays, and retirement parties. Other times, just a quick, quiet dinner with friends.
Each and every experience we have had with the catering department or the restaurant has been wonderful.....perfect!
Please note, there are many great establishments in which to choose for special events and dinner parties in Alexandria....We just always knew this hotel would be dependable, flexible, and professional.
Which leads to my present review. Because of our previous history with this hotel, we decided to stay here after we sold our house. What a great transitional plan. Now, we are retired and each time we return to Alexandria....We stay at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center.

From the bellmen, to the front desk, room service, restaurant personnel, house keeping service... lastly.. the reservation specialists each individual has been professional, supportive, and doing their job!
Wonderful!

We have no complaints. The rooms are clean, quiet and have a great city view.
I highly recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: An North East corner room on one of the higher floors will give you a view of Washington, D.C..
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My husband and I had difficulty finding a room on a recent visit to see our son in Arlington, VA. The hotels we usually stay at we're all sold out due to the Cherry Blossom Festival. The Hilton directed us to their Mark Center property which suited our needs perfectly.
With a AAA discount our room was just $99 per night. While that was very reasonable, the $24 overnight parking charge seemed inordinately high in comparison. The hotel is larger than the other properties we usually stay at in the area, with lots of group and convention business. But they gave us a corner room which was unusually spacious and well appointed for a hotel at that price point. Among the amenities were in-room coffee maker and a small, powerful hair dryer. We were just there overnight and didn't have a chance to see their fitness room and indoor pool. But it was just four miles from Arlington and we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. Very spacious!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

After a day of truly horrific travel up I-95, construction, construction, construction, that added HOURS to my commute, I arrived at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center and met Jason, Front Desk Specialist. He was able to deal with a frazzled and pretty surly guest with cool and calm professionalism. Nothing makes up for the Hell that is I-95, but Jason came close.

The room was beautifully maintained and spotlessly clean. My room was on 15 with a balcony view of the Alexandria Skyline.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor or a corner room with a balcony. The perfect way to relax!
Knightdale, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

"You know how to take the reservation, the problem is you don't know how to hold the reservation". The reservation was set up but when we got to the hotel, the ony thing they had left was smoking rooms. We had ordered two queens w/ a sitting room. For the inconvenience they "upgraded" us, we got a king w/ no sitting room and a roll away bed. The upgrade part was the 27th floor w/ a great view of DC. I'm not sure if that was an "upgrade" or an excuse. There is also a parking fee, which is not evident on the website. The room was beautiful, comfortable and the staff was great, no complaints there. Just wasn't the room we thought we were getting.

Room Tip: Be prepared to pay $20 - $24 in parking.
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed for a night at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center for a conference a couple of days ago. The hotel was a little tricky to find, and if you are looking for a location in the tourist corridor, this isn't going to be it.

We valet parked (both self parking and valet parking cost money), and the bellhop and front desk employees were excellent. There is a concierge right inside the door, whose main job seems to be directing guests to check-in. The common areas of the Hilton were kept in great order.

I believe there are 6 elevators at the hotel (4 or 6), and even though the Hilton is tall, there was never much of a wait for one.

My first problem was arriving at the room. There was a mug and french fry laying next to the door, and it made me concerned that I had a room already in use. While that wasn't the case, the toiletries were not yet replenished (later I realized the toilet paper wasn't either). When I called to request toiletries, I let the staff member know that I only had lotion, and I'd like the rest of whatever they offered. She asked me what I wanted. I just wanted everything else! But for some reason, she wanted me to tell her exactly what I was requesting, even though I didn't know what the normal layout was. I asked for soap, shampoo and conditioner. That was very odd!

The room is very nicely appointed, with a comfortable bed, and a lot of windows. I found the curtains confusing and didn't figure out how to close them until the next day. There is coffee and tea for the room, along with a small refrigerator. Apparently it costs $10 for internet, but I am a Silver member of Hilton Honors, and didn't pay.

We ate at Finn & Porter for lunch, and they had a lite meal menu when we arrived. The food was all excellent, and each item we ordered was under $10.00. I know it's more expensive at other times, but I found it reasonable for good food in a nice setting. Our service was exceptional.

Banquet service was another matter. The food for the convention banquet was unmemorable, with the main memory being of a server coming around with tea. When I said I would like some, he looked at me, looked at the table, said "you have no cup" and then left. He didn't offer to get me a cup, and I didn't have tea. That really is an unacceptable answer!

I had to pick something up in the gift shop - it is very expensive, I recommend the CVS down the street if you have time and need something.

I would probably give the Hilton Alexandria 3 1/2 stars if I could - it's a beautiful hotel, but extremely uneven on service. Service for me is #1, even over location - and the Hilton missed the mark on this. Family in another room had some issues as well.

If invited to another conference, I'd not hesitate to stay here again - but I'd not go out of my way to stay at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center either.

I didn't use the fitness/pool facilities, or shuttle.

Room Tip: The King Bed room I had was really nice, with lots of windows and a view of...buildings. Nothing exc...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Alexandria Mark Center? Share your experiences!