“Great hotel but unreliable shuttle service!” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Parking & Wifi Deal!
Ranked #25 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
“Great hotel but unreliable shuttle service!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I just completed my second stay at this hotel. I was looking forward to staying there as during the past year, I have spent 75% of my time in hotels around the Washington DC area and this one was one of my favorites. However, on the previous occasion, I was let down by the shuttle bus not turning up and was prepared to dismiss this as a one-off event for my next stay. Well, needless to say, this became a major issue during my second stay.
The hotel is a fair way from any metro stop so without a car, guests have to rely on the shuttle bus service. They recently changed the service and only pick up from Pentagon City once an hour. On my first evening, I checked the housekeeping booklet in my room to remind myself of the pick up times. There it stated the previous policy of twice an hour. That evening the bus did not show up and when i called they told me the schedule has changed to once an hour. There is nothing on the concierge desk, or the bus to advise regular guests of this change. As I said the room brochure also indicated the previous schedule. The following evening, I followed the Front Desk Manager's advise and went to Reagan airport to wait for the bus. Guess what? No show again! When I inquired with the hotel, I was told the "driver is busy as we have a large group of guests!" In other words, other guests are not important. On both evenings I waited in cold winds for this bus to arrive. They did at least pay for an $18 taxi ride after my complaint.
Hilton, sort this out. It is not difficult, all other hotels in the area provide regular and reliable shuttle services, and the location of your hotel means that you should provide even more frequent services, not less!

Room Tip: Ask for a Retreat room if you don't mind a short walk to get to it. It overlooks a lake and has...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at our hotel. We are proud to be one of your favorites hotels!

Please accept our apologies for the issues you experienced with our shuttle service. While we continue to offer shuttles to Reagan National Airport every 30 minutes, we are now alternately routing our trips via the King Street Metro Station and the Pentagon City Metro Station, to make both areas available to our guests.

Thank you for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We look forward to having you back at our hotel, and will work hard to earn your continued loyalty.

Charlie Banta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

where can i start????????? first off the shuttle ride is in a very nice bus and was oh so easy to catch. the FOOD is excellent. this was like a gem ... im a smoker but i also loooove to stay in nice hotels during my travels. i searched and searched until i found this hotel. since it was hyatt i knew it was going to be nice but i didnt expect it to be *BEAUTIFUL* IT WAS ABSOLUTELY SLENDID.. the rooms have balconies with such breath taking veiws. it feels great to sip hot tea on a balcony while watching an awesome veiw and smoking *sigh* it was piece and quiet. the bed slept o so good like a hyatt bed usually does. this was by far one of the best hyatts ive stayed in.. i would deff go back for the room alone

Room Tip: the entire smoking section rooms are as breath taking as probably the non smoking rooms.. their also...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The hotel room was clean and comfortable. It was just as advertised. The floor i stayed on was very quite and private. The view from the balcony of the fountain and pond was a plus. Check-in and check-out was a breeze. I was able to change my room at check-in to be closer to friends whom were guests as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I would definitely recommend this hotel. It is very close to I395 and very up-to-date. We were pleased with our room on the 13 floor. The room was very clean with a refrigerator and safe. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are in the area. The check in and check out were very quick and efficient.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This hotel is very nice, open lobby with nice restaurant and bar, modern as well...When I booked in August, my goal was to stay 2 nights in January 2013 for the most important week-end in Washington DC, but I was only able to get 1 night...the hotel was fully booked ... Our fridge was warm, the handyman said they turn it off to conserve energy, one would need pliers to adjust the temperature in the rear of the appliance (awkward)! but the valet parking attendants were efficient even for this particular weekend. Comfortable rooms, safe, we were near the elevator, but did not hear any noise. I would give the restaurant a B... the value for the night we stayed was great, other others jacked the prices up to approx $400-$620 for the same rating for this timeframe

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Was here recently for a meeting for the first time. The room was really lovely--well appointed, spacious, comfortable bed; and the common areas were on trend and plentiful. Several downsides. To me, one of the greatest parts of being in DC (which I am fairly often) is being able to get out and walk to a great restaurant or the Metro. That's not possible here. Also, the only onsite restaurant had the worst service I've ever experienced in a hotel restaurant--it was so painfully inattentive, I could have dined and dashed from the buffet without anyone ever noticing. As it was, I had to wave over a waiter to order and then had to get out of my seat to grab another's attention to get the bill. Usually, this wouldn't be as big of an issue, but since there was no other option on site or within walking distance, it is.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. We were very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay. Please accept our apologiies for the poor service that you received in the restaurant; your experience was not a typical one, and I have shared your comments with the leadership team so that improvements may be made.

Thanks again for your comments, and the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We hope to have the opportunity to be of service to you again soon.

Most Hospitably Yours,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I come to this hotel rather frequently. This is an above average hotel. Food is excellent. Rooms are great, and if you get the DC facing ones in the upper floors, they are superb. In general, staff members are quite polite and professional, we even got managers introducing theirselves and thanking for our loyalty to the hotel. The only exception are the concierges. For been customer-facing employees, they are even rude. They are after your tips and selling marked up tickets. Their restaurant recommendations sent us to chains, which we precisely asked to avoid. They had no knowledge of local transit. Being in a 29th floor, asked them to hold the shuttle once for us to fetch our coats, and three minutes after the hour it was gone. They are the shame for the rest of an otherwise friendly staff.

• Stayed March 2013
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experiences at our hotel. I was very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stays with us, and appreciated the kind words about our team.

I was very alarmed however to receive your feedback about our concierge services. Please accept my sincere apology for disappointing you in this area. I have shared your comments with the leadership team, so that immediate improvements can be made in this area.

Thank you for your continued patronage, and for the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

Most Hospitably Yours,

Charlie Banta

Been to Hilton Alexandria Mark Center? Share your experiences!