“Stylish, intimate and well-located” 5 of 5 stars

Home for the Holidays
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ames IA
“Stylish, intimate and well-located”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

Tagging a day of sightseeing onto the end of a conference, I looked for a hotel with a unique identity in an interesting place. Like the other Kimpton Hotels, the Lorien was all wanted and more: stylish, intimate and well-located. The hotel is situated close enough to the Metro to walk there with luggage in tow and a pleasant stroll from Alexandria's shops, restaurants and waterfront.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2009
Hello dschumac,

Thank you for staying with us. I see that you enjoyed your vacation at the end of the conference. I do hope that you will be able to come back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

The hotel is in a great location about 4 blocks from the Alexandria Metro. I was in town for a meeting in Crystal City, so the quick walk to the metro was great. It is, however, on a far side of the Old Town Alexandria walking area/shops/resturants.
The hotel is styled in a edgy, modern, classic lines look with lots of sterile colors - gray and white but accented with light baby blue. As to people's complaints about the bathroom - it doesn't offer the true privacy of a completely blocked off room. The sliding door/frosted glass was interesting and fun, but I can see it bothersome if you are sharing a room with someone you don't known very very well. I wish the bathrooms had more hooks to hang clothes etc. The soaps and lotions were great - L'Occitane fare. They do allow pets in this hotel and I did see a few dogs being taken out for walks. I never noticed anything that would indicate a pet problem - no stains or smells.
The bed was comfortable. My request for a high level floor and quiet room was honored. The rooms are on the tight side - but I usually don't expect anything larger when in the city. The bathroom was almost as large as the main room! The shower is HUGE and has a rainshower head. The desk-top computer (with free internet) was a great touch and I used it to play internet-radio while I surfed on my personal computer. There is a "Dreams" program where you can pick from a variety of room scents, pillows, and mood music. I didn't try it out, 'cause I was happy with the standard fare. There's a large (maybe 42-46 inch?) flat screen TV opposite the bed. As a business traveler, I wished there were more electical outlets at the bedside and at the desk.
The common areas are charming - cozy library and great outdoor fireplace. I was disappointed to not see the usual Kimpton free happy hour. Although, the coffee/tea station with take-away cups (yes!) is available in the morning.
The hotel is associated with a full-service restaurant Brabo (I did not try the restuarant or room service). But I did go to the Tasting Room (lovely "French bistro" casual bar, and there's a large shared central table. I did not feel awkward being a solo diner) and the Butcher's Block (artisan cheese, sandwiches, meats, Belgian beers in single bottles). The staff at both were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The lady at the Butcher's Block let me taste a few salami and cheese and helped me create a wonderful lunch packet (with fruits, crackers, free olives - all for < $20) that fed me for several days. (The room had a mini-fridge to tuck leftovers, lunch and beer).
The spa is in the basement next to the gym. It's small, but comfortable and soothing. After my service I still had oils I wanted to soak in a little longer, so they allowed me to scoot upstairs in my extra-thick, extra long spa robe (this thing offers 5x the coverage of my gym gear), and I didn't run into anyone in the elevators or hall.
There's no self-service parking. The valet parking is expensive $28 dollars a day, but allows unlimited access to the car. I called down about 10min before I wanted the car, and it was always there waiting for me.
I stayed there for 5 days and got a great deal on the room. (You can get notifications about deals/specials through the free Kimptom guest membership program.) That being said, I would definitely stay there again, even without the special ($179 weekday, $129 weekend).

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Hello DaisyVL,

Thank you for staying. We do have a great location and I am glad that you were able to take full advantage of it. I see you enjoyed the room and the in-room computer terminal. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!
delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

Stayed at the Lorien for the first time the weekend of October 16th. I had stayed in Alexandria previously at both the Hilton and a Sheraton several years ago. The Lorien caught my eye because I didn't remember seeing the previous year we had stayed in the area. I booked the room through American Express travel and paid with points from the credit card. Amex lists only 1 type of room as King size, there are several room types listed on the website for the hotel. I think we probably had a standard room, but it may have been a rainshower room. I never bothered to confirm. We booked for a rate of $129 a night which is far less than an equal room in DC. The metro is very is a close walk and it's very easy to get into the city so I didn't see the reason in paying more. There's tons of great dining and shopping up and down King Street and that's one of the major things we enjoy when we get out of town just for fun.

I'm not a fan of city driving and our GPS brought us into the hotel via DC, it was dark, drizzly and rainy, not a fan of that route. On the way out we just jumped onto the beltway and were quickly on our way, I found that to be much less stressful. We did use the valet to park, mostly because of the rain, I wouldn't have minded walking a couple of blocks from the closest parking garage. Check-in was swift and friendly. The room was a bit on the small side, but comparable to other in-city hotels I've stayed at. The rooms all vary a bit, so ours could have just been on the smaller side. The complementary internet was not working in our room and the front desk had a maintenance person come up right away. An easy fix. While he was in our room he noticed that the heating unit was a little noisy and popped it open and corrected that for us too. A little inconvenient but I would rather have had it corrected then, than have been annoyed trying to sleep with the noise overnight. The maintenance guy was really nice, got us some free wine and breakfast coupons for the trouble. We're pretty easy going and weren't fazed by it too much.

My husband gets very uncomfortable laying down for too long and found the bed really comfortable. I thought the mattress was fine and thought the weight of the comforter was perfect. Not too hot, not too cool. I know a lot of people have made comments about the barn style doors on the bathrooms. It's more or less a cool version of a pocket door. Because of the sizes and layouts of the room, a swinging door would have really gotten in the way. I thought the design was cool, if the glass had been cut a few inches longer it would have overlapped the bathroom entrance a bit more and I think people would feel a little more comfortable.

I was curious about staying in a pet friendly hotel. Would there be any smells from a previous guest, would a dog bark in the middle of the night? I didn't see any dogs, didn't smell any dogs, didn't hear any dogs. It was a non-issue.

My husband is a care-less kind of traveler. He's not picky, doesn't care about cool or trendy... he lets me pick what I want and he really liked this hotel. For a guy who could care less to say, "This is a great hotel" ... that's a rave review.

Liked the location, the staff, they style... cool place.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello Jenaye,

Thank you for trying us out. I see that you enjoyed your stay very much. I apologize about the internet not working but I am glad someone came up quickly and took care of it for you. I am glad that your husband found the beds comfortable also. I see you noticed that we are pet friendly and Kimpton hotels make sure the entire property is kept clean and well maintained. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!
virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

The location of this hotel was great. It is right in the middle of Old Town, with walking distance to everything. The hotel itself is set back off of the street. There is a courtyard in front as you walk in, that is probably awesome in warmer weather. The staff were great and very accommodating. Our room was really nice as well. The bathroom was super contemporary and cutting edge. There was free internet in the room with a flat screen computer supplied for the guests. The fitness center was really nice as well with top of the line equipment. There was zero to complain about with this elite property.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello vananben,

I see you liked the location and the courtyard. It is nice being outside during warm weather. Thank you for staying and we hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

This is the third time my wife, daughter, dog and I have stayed at the lovely Lorien. It seems to get better with each stay. The hotel is located on King Street, so it's very convenient to Old Town, the Metro and the Interstate. At the same time, because it's tucked away and in a less busy part of Old Town you don't get the noise or heavy traffic that plague the tourist areas.

The hotel itself is reminiscent of a European boutique hotel: Quaint with a high-level of attention to details and service. The lobby has a lounge area that's like a den where you can relax with a drink or read a book. There are two courtyards--one in the front and another to the side--that are perfect for enjoying the seasonal weather.

The staff is attractive, polite, efficient, friendly and very professional. Not necessarily the warmest or most conversant folks, but always pleasant. We've stayed at several Kimpton hotels and they always have well-trained staff who are a cut above. At the Lorien, everyone from housekeeping to maintenance was friendly and polite. They politely ask how your stay is going and if they can assist with something. There's real sincerity when they ask.

The rooms are superb. Clean, upscale, comfortable and well thought-out. The standard room is a little small for two so I strongly recommend a suite or corner room. The best views are the facing King Street and with a balcony. The strong points of the Lorien's accommodations are as follows: Wonderfully comfortable beds with high-thread count cotton sheets, great bathrooms especially the large ones featured in the suites, rooms are soothing in a color scheme of light blue and white, large flat-screen TVs, free Internet PLUS a personal computer in your room--a very classy touch. Best of all, everything is clean and new. You feel like you're the first person to have stayed in the room.

The partner restaurants Brabo and The Tasting Room are supposed to be excellent. We only had breakfast at Brabo which was good albeit pricey. The dinner crowd is definitely well-heeled and hip.

Sometimes boutique hotels can be pretentious, stuffy or overly precious. Not so with the Lorien. Kimpton has managed to blend their flair for design and character with a more elegant theme and style, resulting in a near-perfect synthesis. A classy hotel that doesn't forget the importance of comfort, atmosphere and customer service.

Oh, and like all Kimptons, they are genuinely pet-friendly. This alone is one of the main reasons we choose Kimptons over other brands.

Stay at the Lorien and it will become your favorite hotel in the DC area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

Property, amenities, and staff exceptional. Looking forward to my next stay. Maureen deserves special Kudos for her exceptional customer service skills, warm reception, and help with reservations.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2009
Good day mhabib,

Thank you for staying with us. I see that you liked the hotel and the staff. I am happy that you are coming back to stay with us. I will be sure to let Maureen know she did a great job and helped make your stay special. Thank you for staying and please come back soon!
Sudbury, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

I am picky. What sold me on booking this hotel was the location, and that it was designed by Vincent Wolfe so I believed it would blow me away. It did not.

The location is very good, but not great. It is relatively close to the Metro but not if you're wearing heels. Also, it is a nice longish walk to the waterfront hustle and bustle, however, there is a free trolley that can take you there if you prefer not to walk. It is a safe, lovely area to walk around and there are plenty of restaurants/cafes if you don't want to eat on the premises.

We had booked a suite and arrived late to find the pull out couch not yet set up for our kids who were exhausted. The manager told us this was policy -- one they should reconsider as I don't think anyone arriving with kids want them to hang out and wait 45 minutes for everything to be set up at 11pm. The bedroom was tiny with a king size bed barely fitting inside, very poorly lit (to the point where it is hard to read in the room), bathrooms are very mod but a bit impractical as the sink is very high and set back so far that I strained my neck trying to brush my teeth. The "living room" portion of the suite had no windows at all. It would have been impossible to read anything in there with the poor lighting.

We were upgraded to a larger suite with a terrace which was very nice of them. The terrace "menu" is a nice treat but we didn't see it until our third day there. There are no bureaus in the rooms so no way to unpack anything. The desk drawers don't open because the chairs are flush against them -- again poor design and bad space decisions. The bathrooms are fine for those who are very close but the sliding glass doors give you little sense of privacy -- either visually or soundwise. The walls were also paper thin considering it is a new hotel so if you have a talkative neighbor you will suffer. The colors are soothing, the free internet and computers a brilliant idea, but so much wasted "hall" space when you need more space in the actual room.

The front desk staff was very nice and accommodating but we will not revisit this hotel. When you sacrifice basics like lighting, quiet and furniture for a "name brand" designer you do not win friends.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!