“Another wonderful stay at the Lorien” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rates from $119
Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Another wonderful stay at the Lorien”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

This is the third time my wife, daughter, dog and I have stayed at the lovely Lorien. It seems to get better with each stay. The hotel is located on King Street, so it's very convenient to Old Town, the Metro and the Interstate. At the same time, because it's tucked away and in a less busy part of Old Town you don't get the noise or heavy traffic that plague the tourist areas.

The hotel itself is reminiscent of a European boutique hotel: Quaint with a high-level of attention to details and service. The lobby has a lounge area that's like a den where you can relax with a drink or read a book. There are two courtyards--one in the front and another to the side--that are perfect for enjoying the seasonal weather.

The staff is attractive, polite, efficient, friendly and very professional. Not necessarily the warmest or most conversant folks, but always pleasant. We've stayed at several Kimpton hotels and they always have well-trained staff who are a cut above. At the Lorien, everyone from housekeeping to maintenance was friendly and polite. They politely ask how your stay is going and if they can assist with something. There's real sincerity when they ask.

The rooms are superb. Clean, upscale, comfortable and well thought-out. The standard room is a little small for two so I strongly recommend a suite or corner room. The best views are the facing King Street and with a balcony. The strong points of the Lorien's accommodations are as follows: Wonderfully comfortable beds with high-thread count cotton sheets, great bathrooms especially the large ones featured in the suites, rooms are soothing in a color scheme of light blue and white, large flat-screen TVs, free Internet PLUS a personal computer in your room--a very classy touch. Best of all, everything is clean and new. You feel like you're the first person to have stayed in the room.

The partner restaurants Brabo and The Tasting Room are supposed to be excellent. We only had breakfast at Brabo which was good albeit pricey. The dinner crowd is definitely well-heeled and hip.

Sometimes boutique hotels can be pretentious, stuffy or overly precious. Not so with the Lorien. Kimpton has managed to blend their flair for design and character with a more elegant theme and style, resulting in a near-perfect synthesis. A classy hotel that doesn't forget the importance of comfort, atmosphere and customer service.

Oh, and like all Kimptons, they are genuinely pet-friendly. This alone is one of the main reasons we choose Kimptons over other brands.

Stay at the Lorien and it will become your favorite hotel in the DC area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

Property, amenities, and staff exceptional. Looking forward to my next stay. Maureen deserves special Kudos for her exceptional customer service skills, warm reception, and help with reservations.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2009
Good day mhabib,

Thank you for staying with us. I see that you liked the hotel and the staff. I am happy that you are coming back to stay with us. I will be sure to let Maureen know she did a great job and helped make your stay special. Thank you for staying and please come back soon!
Sudbury, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

I am picky. What sold me on booking this hotel was the location, and that it was designed by Vincent Wolfe so I believed it would blow me away. It did not.

The location is very good, but not great. It is relatively close to the Metro but not if you're wearing heels. Also, it is a nice longish walk to the waterfront hustle and bustle, however, there is a free trolley that can take you there if you prefer not to walk. It is a safe, lovely area to walk around and there are plenty of restaurants/cafes if you don't want to eat on the premises.

We had booked a suite and arrived late to find the pull out couch not yet set up for our kids who were exhausted. The manager told us this was policy -- one they should reconsider as I don't think anyone arriving with kids want them to hang out and wait 45 minutes for everything to be set up at 11pm. The bedroom was tiny with a king size bed barely fitting inside, very poorly lit (to the point where it is hard to read in the room), bathrooms are very mod but a bit impractical as the sink is very high and set back so far that I strained my neck trying to brush my teeth. The "living room" portion of the suite had no windows at all. It would have been impossible to read anything in there with the poor lighting.

We were upgraded to a larger suite with a terrace which was very nice of them. The terrace "menu" is a nice treat but we didn't see it until our third day there. There are no bureaus in the rooms so no way to unpack anything. The desk drawers don't open because the chairs are flush against them -- again poor design and bad space decisions. The bathrooms are fine for those who are very close but the sliding glass doors give you little sense of privacy -- either visually or soundwise. The walls were also paper thin considering it is a new hotel so if you have a talkative neighbor you will suffer. The colors are soothing, the free internet and computers a brilliant idea, but so much wasted "hall" space when you need more space in the actual room.

The front desk staff was very nice and accommodating but we will not revisit this hotel. When you sacrifice basics like lighting, quiet and furniture for a "name brand" designer you do not win friends.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Hotel is conveniently located to shopping and restaurants. Although we did not eat in the hotel's restaurants, they did look interesting. The accommodations were fantastic and the bed was very comfortable. The staff was top notch from the valet attendant to the front desk personnel. All staff called us by name and went out of their way to accommodate our every need! If you are looking for a great place to stay, I would definitely consider the Lorien!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Hello sk3,

I agree we are conveniently located in Old Town Alexandria. I am glad that you liked the hotel and staff. I know they will be happy to hear they made a memorable impression. I will be sure to let them know. Thank you for staying and come back again soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

Overall we really enjoyed the Lorien. The rooms were beautiful (especially the bathrooms) and very comfortable, the staff was helpful and nice workout facility.
What I liked: The rooms, the bed, the staff, morning tea/coffee in the lobby. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Check in was easy, the bed was super cushy, the TV and computer nice touches. The location was also very good because you could walk to the Metro or down King to the shops/restaurants.
What I didn't like: 1) We are tea drinkers and there was no coffee/hot water maker in the room, when we asked the front desk where we could get a cup of tea one night (or even hot water - we had brought our own tea) they were dumbfounded. After trying both restaurants (they were both too full on a Friday night to just order tea) and walking up and down King Street trying to find something open we finally went back to our room and ordered a pot of team for $20. Sort of ridiculous in my opinion. 2) To get ice you had to call room service 3) the valet parking guys were way too busy. The kind of service as valets, porters, concierge, traffic director, etc. We would call down for our car 20 minutes before we wanted to go anywhere, go out and the car would be waiting, but wouldn't be able to find the valet. He was usually off helping someone else so we would end up waiting anyways. At one point there were 4 people waiting to park, only one person working and King Street ended up all backed-up with traffic. 4) we came back from breakfast one morning and found that housekeeping had already been there and that our door hadn't been shut all of the way. I just had to push it open. That was a little scary and at first ticked me off. I was going to inform the front desk but then the next time I went out the door the same thing happened to me - you really have to pull hard on the doors to ensure that they close completely.
Above and Beyond the Call of Duty: By the time we made it to our next stop my husband realized he was missing his iPod - he came to the conclusion that it was probably stolen when we broke down on our way to the next destination and we had to stop in a garage to have some work done. Imagine our surprise when we got home and had a message from the Lorien saying that housekeeping had found his iPod in our room safe! They made it really easy to arrange to have it shipped back.
Overall a very good experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Manassas,Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

AMAZING HOTEL!!!!! I have stayed in all of the best hotels and they had nothing on this one! From check in to check out it was first class all the way. Alison, the MOD was amazing! We did not know the Old Town area so she even helped us plan our weekend activities. I would like to thank her and the entire staff for a fantastic weekend.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2009
Hello Shannon101369,

Great to hear you had a wonderful time at the hotel! I know that Allison will be particularly pleased to hear she helped make your stay so memorable. Thank you for staying and be sure to come back again soon!
dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

It could not have been more beautiful, total and complete. The Hotel it self is perfect, from the contemporary style to the attention to every detail. The service was so attentive and personal, you could not ask for anything more. The Restaurant both casual and formal were so much fun to be in. The casual was hussell and bussell with lots of great wine and food and fun people. The formal was beautifully done with dark woods and quite elegance. The menu was seasonal and offered something for every taste. The bar and wine list were varied and reasonable. Service more then anything was above and beyond what I know to be standard, and YES we will go back asap.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello hairlady10,

I am glad that you liked the hotel and décor so much. Kimpton worked hard to make the Lorien top-notch. Your descriptions of the restaurants are so very true…I couldn’t have said it better myself. And as for the service I am glad everyone made a positive impact. I will be sure to pass your comments to the rest of the staff. We all look forward to seeing you visit again soon!

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!