“Excellent place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Sweet Suite Deal
Ranked #1 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Fareham, England
“Excellent place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for three nights. Alexandria is a very nice place to stay. It has a small town feel. The hotel itself was new and very nicely finished and furnished, with excellent facilities. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We made use of the complimentary bikes for a day. Good fun for a ride down the cycle tracks to Mt. Vernon. All in all a great stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2009
Hello philandjulie,

I agree Alexandria has a small quaint town feel and you can most certainly get around by cycling. I am glad you made use of the hotel bikes. In addition, I know the staff will be happy and proud that they provided helpful and friendly service. I am glad you had a great stay and I hope you will be able to return again soon!

852 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

My husband and I stayed one night at the Lorien and loved it so much we cut our family visit short and came back 2 nights later! The staff was polite, relaxed, and always available to answer questions or offer suggestions. The rooms are gracious, comfortable, and interesting. The location can not be beat -- it is in close proximity to restaurants, stores, and the Metro. Although the Lorien has all the typical hotel features, it is far from a typical hotel.

Hello ShuggieP,

Wow! Great for us and no so great for your family. Next time bring them with you! I am glad you liked the hotel so much you returned shortly after you departed. That is a great story. Thank you for staying, and then coming back again, hopefully we’ll see you (and your family) soon!
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

My girlfriend and I came across this hotel by accident. It was absolutely perfect. The room was perfect, the staff was perfect and our stay was perfect. It was a convenient walking distance to both the King St. Metro Station (3 bocks) and the Alexandria Ferry down King St. (10 blocks?). We used both forms of transportation. We didn't eat in Alexandria, but there were 30 dining choices probably within a 8 or 9 block radius. The courtyard is beautiful. We were told by other travellers that the Hotel's Restaurant was terrific but we didn't have a chance to eat there.

All in all, we were wowed by this hotel. We travel often up and down the Eastern Seaboard (especially to DC). We would never stay at another DC area hotel. In fact, we have decided that we are going to stay at a sister hotel when we travel to Boston next month. Make sure you ask for Maureen or Stephanie at the Front Desk. And Christian, the valet, is a true treasure.

If you are going to DC, stay here. It's quiet, only 20 mins by Metro or car to the Washington Mall and the service is spectacular. I can't wait to stay again.

Also - join the Kimpton Hotel Rewards program before you stay. You might get a steal of a rate on a random weekend. That's what we ended up doing. Happy we did.

Hello KJBert,

It is so nice to hear that sometimes unexpected surprises turn out to be splendid! And I know that Maureen, Stephanie and Christian will be happy when they read about your stay. They were certainly a bog part of making it memorable. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

We stayed one night and enjoyed ourselves so much that we decided to skip out on family a night early and enjoy the last night of our long weekend there, too. We weren't there for too terribly long, so we don't have terribly in depth experiences, but every moment of our time there was really pleasant.

Simply put, the hotel is simple, but very stylish and the staff was really nice. The location is great - close to the King Street Metro stop, in Old Town, and obviously just outside DC. Easy to metro to straight from National Airport. If you drive, the valet staff is very welcoming and accomodating - they let us know at the front desk that we could call down a few minutes before we wanted to head out and they'd have the car waiting for us, and they sure did.

Speaking of staff, they were very kind and welcoming when we showed up, and they seem to all operate together to help one another out, so there's a fluidity to the service they provide, which is always really great.

Our rate was the AAA rate @ $101/night, and including the valet parking fee. Obviously, I would recommend the AAA rate, if you have the membership. We'll definitely look at the Lorien and other Kimpton Hotels for our next trip up to DC/Baltimore to visit friends and family.

Hello eljr,

Wow thank you so much for staying and then deciding to come back again a day later! That is wonderful! I am glad that you liked the hotel and the staff so much that you couldn’t stay away. I know everyone will be pleased to hear your story.
Cairo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

I felt like royalty from the first day of my stay until the last day. Everyone from the extremely helpful valet staff to the friendly front desk staff to the highly professional restaurant staff--and let's not forget the talented spa staff--attributed to this feeling. Personalized greetings each day--morning and night, highly responsive and noteworthy customer service, beautiful and relaxing surroundings, etc. A wonderful retreat...yet situated in the middle of exciting Old Town Viginia. What more could one ask for!?!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Hello mlstanford,

I am so glad to hear that you were treated like royalty. Everyone at the hotel goes above and beyond. Thank you for your kind words. We hope you will be back soon!
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

My husband and I decided to stay here for our 2nd anniversary. I used to live in Old Town, and was happy to go back for a visit. My favorite part of the hotel room was the "dreams" theme, where they give you a complimentary "specialty" pillow and fragrant reed diffuser. Initially after I ordered a certain pillow and that evening when I didn't get it, I was slightly disappointed. When I called the front desk, I was told there were none available, but they would try to get me one. Later that night when I returned, the pillow was there. The reed diffuser made the room smell amazing! The rooms were very clean, as was the entire hotel. We stayed on a Sat night and tried to go to Brabo without reservations, but were told they were booked for the night, so I suggest reservations if you really want to eat there on the weekend. The price was great too; we had a special deal "stay one night and get 50%off 2nd night," which made it very reasonable. Overall, had a great time and would go back again and recommend to others.

Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

We just stayed at the Lorien for two nights and really loved our time there. The staff at the front desk were incredibly friendly and did not give us any grief for having booked through Hotwire. The room was peaceful and modern in decor, if a bit on the small side. The bed was really comfortable and the bathroom/shower spacious. The room did not have an ice bucket or service on our floor, but housekeeping delivered one promptly at our request.
We did not eat at Brabo or the Brabo tasting room, but we can comment on the spa. It was great! Very relaxing environment, great and professional therapists, and friendly reception staff. Both my husband and I were comfortable there. We also used the complimentary bikes offered at the hotel. They gave us helmets and cable locks along with the bikes, which came in very handy when we stopped to eat and shop at various places, and the staff graciously pumped up the tires when we asked. The bikes were a great way to see Old Town, and we even biked across the Potomac River on them without too much difficulty. We saw bikes being rented for $15/hour at the National Harbor.
The hotel is on the quieter end of King Street, close to the metro and train station. Plenty of shops and restaurants on King Street are within walking distance, but it's a fairly long haul all the way to the river. If you miss the last Trolley at 10 pm, it might be quite a walk back to the Lorien for you. If you like the quiet, though, you might appreciate being a bit removed from the hubbub near the river.
all in all, a great and modern getaway in Old Town! We would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2009
Hello SteelGardenia,

I am glad that the front desk were incredibly friendly and you enjoyed your stay. I am pleased that you were able to make use of the hotel services and amenities including the complimentary bikes to use. Thank you for coming to visit. Please come back and join us again soon!

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!