“Lovely Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
NC
“Lovely Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

The Lorien is new, modern, clean, and trendy. Very nice.

Pros: 1) Staff is very cordial, professional. 2) Location is within walking distance to King St. metro. 3) Decor is sleek and modern, beautiful, zen-like, restful. 4) Hotel has two restaurants, including a casual small-plate restaurant. 5) Spa services. 6) Bathroom is large, clean, modern. Walk-in shower has sliding glass door, easy access. 7) Monitor with in-room internet access provided. Very nice. 8) Comfortable bed. Choice of pillows provided. Feather/down pillows were wonderful. Great not to have those awful bouncy, styrofoam pillows. 9) A very nice wine and cheese shop is next door, if you'd like a baguette, cheese, and wine.

Cons: 1) Valet parking is $25 a day. 2) There didn't seem to be very many good restaurants within walking distance, so a drive into old town Alexandria or to the water district is probably in order, unless one eats at hotel restaurants. 3) Room service food is expensive, of course. In-room snacks and mini-fridge are exorbitantly expensive, of course. 4) Bathroom has frosted, sliding glass door, which is beautiful, but it doesn't shut completely and therefore does not provide absolute privacy. No fan in bathroom. So, if bathroom privacy is an issue, don't stay here. 5) Coffee and tea are provided in the lobby, but no coffee or tea set-up in room. Lobby coffee/tea do not include any other breakfast items. 6) Our room was a corner room with king bed overlooking the courtyard. It had lots of light but was very small for two people. It was fine, but not real spacious. Not too much of a big deal.

General: If you do want a more inexpensive breakfast than provided by the hotel, which I'm sure is nice but expensive, try the coffeehouse across the street on the corner, or even the Dunkin Donuts a quick walk down the street. For dinner, Le Refuge on Washington Street is a very nice bistro-style French restaurant.

I would definitely recommend the Lorien. If you'd like a hotel similar in quality but closer to the historic part of Alexandria a few blocks east, try Hotel Monaco. Both are Kimpton hotels. Both are beautiful.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

The location is perfect - right next to the King St. metro but not close enough to hear every arrival and departure. I went for three nights June 19-22 with my 40 lb dog and met my girlfriend there. There is no pet fee, and the staff was incredibly gracious and accommodating to all three of us (they knew my dogs name from the InTouch loyalty program, brought her a dog bed and treats, and knew the best spots to walk her). The hotel is very chic and trendy, from the moment you walk into the lobby to the elevators and rooms. I loved the room - we stayed in a king spa suite with a turkish bath (both a huge ball and claw tub and a shower that opened up into it - hard to describe). Everything was somehow sleek and modern, yet comfortable and inviting. I got a great room rate on the kimpton website, which the telephone booking agent for Kimpton honored. I have stayed in a lot of hotels, including the Kimpton in San Diego, but this was by far the best hotel I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2009
Hello Barnbh6,

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad that you liked the location. I see you brought your furry companion and she was welcomed and recognized. I know everyone at the front desk works really hard to make everyone feel at home and comfortable. Thanks for staying and please come back and visit us again!
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

It was girl's weekend away. My daughter, neice and I booked a 3 night stay at the Lorien. The location to the metro and train station were great and we were shown to our room promptly. We had dinner reservations in DC that evening and were somewhat rushed. The room was small and had one small window that looked out onto another guest's balcony. My daugher waved at the lady who seemed quite shocked to see another guest looking at her through the window. The computer and free internet in the room were great and I had the opportunity to check my bank balance before leaving for dinner. I discovered that the hotel had deducted $799.00 from my account not ten minutes after checking in. My room rate was ony $118 so I was shocked. Upon questioning this transaction, the ladies at the desk apologized and had the charges removed. I then asked her if all of the rooms looked out onto another's balcony and she again apologized and offered to change our room. We accepted.
The rest of the stay went muchy smoother. The spa was great and we had the opportunity to try several treatments. The guests have free use of the steamroom and showers throughout their stay. That was nice. The roomservice was prompt but expensive. $12 for a small pot of tea. We were offered turn down service but it was never delivered. We did use the 'Dream Button ' to request special pillows but unfortunately the hotel was out of one of our requests. The pillow that was delivered was great as was the bed and linens.
We ate breakfast in Brabo each morning and enjoyed the service and the food. The tasting room was great for lunch too.
So despite a rocky start, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who needs a little pampering.

Stayed June 2009
Hello 904Macon,

I am glad that you were able to get a girl’s weekend away with your daughter and niece. We all know how much fun it can be to get away for a few days with family. I apologize that you didn’t get the room of choice upon arrival but I am glad to hear that the front desk was quick and responsive meeting your needs. Thank you for staying and please come back again!
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Lorien with my 4 grandchildren and a friend (ages 18, 15, 14, 11 and 10) and it just could not have been more perfect! I had been looking for a great place to take the kids when I got the Kimpton $86 a night birthday special email and picked the Lorien because of Tripadvisor reviews and having had a brief stay at the Hotel Monaco in Alexandria a few months prior. Since there were 6 of us I had to have 2 adjoining rooms and the staff were very helpful in making the arrangements for me. Of course the teens loved having the computers and flat screen tv's although we weren't in the room all that much. We walked the short walk to the King Street Metro each day and visited the sites in DC during the daylight hours but returned to King Street in the evening.
My 11 year old grandson awakened me early yesterday morning and he was hot with fever. I went down to the desk to see if they might have a thermometer and when they did not, one of the desk clerks arranged to have Bobby drive me a few blocks down the street to a CVS so that I could get a thermometer and medicine. Both inquired later in the day and again today about how he was doing. I'm sorry but in my concern for my grandson I failed to get their names but I am most appreciative of their assistance and concern.
We had rooms 329 which was a very large, corner King room that even had space for 2 additional roll-a-way beds making our sleeping arrangements much more comfortable and the adjoining double, 328.
Every employee that we came in contact with, right down to the cleaning staff, went out of their ways to be helpful and courteous, but a special thanks to Stephanie, Bobby and the other nice ladies working at the front desk yesterday morning..

Being a 65 year old grandma with 5 teens and pre-teens in tow it meant so much to have your empathy and kind assistance these past 5 days! Thanks to all of you!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Hello wquat,

Thank you for the nice comment about the hotel. I see you brought an entourage with you and everyone enjoyed their stay. I am sorry to hear your grandson was not feeling well but I am glad that the staff did what they could to help you. I am also happy to hear that they checked in with you regularly also. Thank you for the comment and I know the staff will all appreciate hearing what a great job they did!
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

Just returned from the Lorien Hotel and Spa and loved it! Staff was friendly and knowledgeable. Our room was on the smaller side but an upgrade wasn't available because the hotel was fully booked. It was still a nice room. The marble floors in the bathroom and shower were incredible. The frosted glass door to the bathroom was unique and beautiful. The King-sized bed was so comfortable that this stressed out mom slept like a rock! We enjoyed the delicious mussels in the Brabo Tasting Room and had wonderful service there. And I cannot say enough about my facial with Ludmila at the Lorien Spa! It was a wonderful, soothing experience.

Hotel is within walking distance to shopping and restaurants. When we returned to our room after shopping, there was a lovely hand-written note, bottle of spring water, and RW's chocolate-covered Belgian waffle for a night treat. It was a great surprise from Paula the concierge!

Some negatives during our stay -- From inside our room we you could hear the doors from other rooms being opened and closed. Overnight parking fee is high at $25. We had to call room service for ice. Our room had only one small window. And our breakfast order from room service took almost an hour. Otherwise, we cannot wait to return some day!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

We traveled to Alexandria for a weekend without kids and had a wonderful trip. The hotel staff were helpful, the room and hotel were immaculate, and the free in-room computer and internet access was very helpful in allowing us to identify local restaurants and reviews quickly. We could control the room temperature and the room (and view) was pleasant and comfortable. The only thing we can say that was unusual was that we had to ask the front desk to bring us ice since there was no access to ice machines even though the room had a nice insulated stainless steel ice bucket.

Lastly, we could walk on King St. and to nearby activities without a need to drive which was exactly what we wanted. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

I stayed for 4 nights at the new Lorien Hotel & Spa and would definitely return. The new hotel is beautifully decorated with a minimalist-type of design. I stayed in suite 301 - a very large, spacious space with a living room, separate bedroom and large bath with incredible shower. This suite also has a large terrace overlooking King Street. There were two large flatscreen TVs and a computer for internet access. Just heavenly. The staff are all quite friendly, and concierge Paula Callahan made me feel especially welcome. The Brabo restaurant is excellent and I really enjoyed the smaller Brabo Tasting Room next door (try the mussels!). On my next trip I hope to have time for some spa treatments.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!