“Will keep coming back” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rates from $119
Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Providence, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

This is a Fantastic property with an outstanding staff! I will certainly be staying here again and agan!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2009
Hello Samthe3,

Thank you for staying with us and posting your thoughts on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you thought the property was “fantastic” and that the staff were “outstanding.” It makes a big difference for us. Thank you for staying and continuing to return. We sincerely appreciate it!
Albuquerque, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

When I first arrived, there was a hand-written note to welcome me along with a complimentary bottle of water and a delicious chocolate covered Belgium waffle. Needless to say I felt very welcomed! The room I was originally assigned did not have a bathtub so I called the front desk and asked to be moved. The woman who had quickly checked me in came up to the room to deliver the new room key and was very kind, offering to help me move to the new room. She also called the new room a short time later to make sure that I was satisfied. She and all of the other front desk staff were great. I made several calls to the front desk throughout my stay for various things and the line was always promptly answered by someone eager to help.

The rooms are modern, calming, and beautiful. The room I was moved to had a personal computer inside of it although the first room did not. The personal computer was a nice touch - it had free access to the internet and menus to get info about the hotel, restaurants, spa and the Old Town Alexandria location. I would have left my laptop at home if I knew the p.c. would be there, I never had an in-room computer at any other property I’ve stayed at so I thought it was pretty neat! The bed was super soft and comfortable with TONS of pillows, which I like. Housekeeping did a great job every day. My only complaint about the room would be that the bath mat was taken out after the first day and never replaced.

I ordered room service several times and it was delivered quickly each time. The food from room service was very tasty and always warm. I had breakfast at Brabo and it was also nice. There are several restaurants near the hotel too, but I preferred room service since it was cold and rainy the majority of my stay.

The Lorien Spa was definitely the highlight of my stay. I had their signature “Sweet Dreams” massage and it was beyond relaxing and enjoyable. The spa attendant and masseuse were polite and professional. The spa itself is very beautiful and decorated in the same pale blue and white of the rest of the hotel. Hot tea and snacks are offered before and after your service in a calming setting adjacent to the locker rooms and treatment rooms. I bumped into a colleague of mine while I was there and she raved about her massage too. We had the same masseuse, Stephanie, and she was great.

The metro (King Station) was a 5-7 minute walk and the Old Town Alexandria trolley runs for free up and down King Street every 20 or so minutes, so the location of the hotel is great as well.

After my four nights at the hotel I moved to the Crystal City Hyatt for one night and had wished I stayed at the Lorien. I just can’t say enough about this hotel, it was a wonderful stay. The hotel is brand-new and the service is just as nice as the new property. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Hello Sush68,

I am glad that the amenity waiting for you upon arrival made you feel welcomed. I apologize that the original room you were in was less desireable but I am happy that once you alerted the front desk they were quick responding. It seems that every aspect of your stay was enjoyable from your relaxing spa treatment to your in room dining and the in room computer system. Thank you for staying and please come back and visit again soon!
Central PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

Stayed in Old town instead of DC as the Lorien is 2 blocks to the Metro. Was upgraded upon arrival to a suite (would have paid for it), Huge room, perfectly appointed, gorgeous bathroom. Bell service brought ice a few minutes later and offered to show me the in room free internet on the computer in the room. Had appetizers and drinks at the restaurant Brabo. Full menu looked good and by the crowd could tell it is a well received addition to King Street. Hotel just opened so they are working out the kinks but the Engineering Manager introduced himself and offered his assistance with anything I needed. Will bring my wife back when in DC and she can spa in site while here. I would highly recommend this property.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

We just got back from a weekend stay at the Lorien and have high regards for this new Kimpton property.

Property: The exterior of the Lorien is decked out in colonial red brick and white trim. It blends seamlessly with its neighboring original colonial buildings. The street entrance is really just an arch into a secluded (no cars) courtyard surfaced with red-brick pavers. A beautiful clock oversees the courtyard. The lobby entrance at the back of the courtyard is unassuming and the front desk is about 3 steps into the entrance. Off to the right of the front desk is a lounge/library with chairs and couches. It had a perfect funky colonial vibe. Beyond the lounge/library, Lorien sported another inviting courtyard. The elevators in the Lorien were near silent. Living in the city myself, I can appreciate noiseless elevators. The Lorien is not a big hotel and its hallways on each floor were easily traversed. Ice is only available through in-room dining and no ice was delivered in the afternoon or evening as a matter of course. My biggest complaint about the property in general is that there is a lack of hotel common areas to gather (save for the two courtyards which are less inviting in February). I think as Lorien gets more popular guests may get frustrated by a crowded lounge and lack of private seating areas to enjoy the company your with. Also, there are no grand spaces. You will never be in awe by any of the common areas or feel any sense of grandeur (like you can be at many five star hotels). The lobby is small, the hallways narrow and the layout a little cramped. Sure, the décor and some of the common space is neat and funky, but the space is remarkably modest. Perhaps this is what Lorien was going for, but for rooms starting at $350/nt, the common areas were quite limited.

Rooms: We booked a King room (at $149/nt) and we were upgraded to a King Suite. Thanks Lorien! The king suite was spacious. The bathroom was the best feature of the room. The bathroom had an open layout with the bathtub, shower, toilet and vanity all in the same room. In other words, if a guest needed to use the toilet and someone was (a) at the vanity; (b) in the tub; or (c) in the shower the guest could not use it without having a spectator (that’s okay for some folks; not for others). The bathroom was enormous (appox. 10’x18’) and had Kohler fixtures. The shower head was a perfect blend of gentle with plenty of pressure. The bathroom was clean and open and had great charcoal gray tile. The suites were painted in a light blue and were tastefully decorated. The common/sitting room had a desk that was made of polished concrete and a rock hard couch which concealed a pullout bed. There was not a whole of natural light in this area. One could walk out on a tiny balcony. Strangely, another room’s window looked immediately out to the balcony. It seemed more of a token balcony than one that could be used for any significant purpose. The bedroom had a window over the headboard and overlooking the balcony and was flooded with natural light. The bed end table sported an ipod docking station/alarm clock (iHome). My biggest criticism about the room was the staggering lack of closet space. There is a very tiny closet that houses the safe and mini-bar. It has a little space for hanging clothes (a foot across?), but no room for suitcases. All suitcases had to be kept out and in the open. This seems like a major oversight. I hope other rooms have bigger closets than ours, but I suspect not. The sitting room and the bedroom had very large (50”?) flat panel televisions. Only the local stations were in HD and the remaining cable stations looked pretty grainy on the large televisions. Lorien should look into adding some additional HD channels. The bed was smashingly comfortable and almost put our own bed at home to shame. High marks! It was the best sleep my pregnant wife got in a long time. The towels were extremely soft and not starchy like so many hotel towels you run across. L’Occitane bath products.

Housekeeping: No complaints. Notably, they did not have evening turndown service which I think often separates a four star property from a five star property.

Room Service: We ordered breakfast one morning and it was absolutely delicious. The homemade jam was extraordinary. They did not wheel in a table/cart like many places so we had to essentially eat from a coffee table. We were okay with that, but some people may feel differently.

The Fitness Area: Excellent Lifetime Fitness cardio equipment. I believe there were two ellipticals, two treadmills and two stationary bikes. These were top of the line, brand new pieces of equipment that integrated flat screen (hd?) televisions. That’s where the compliments stop. There were no free weights. They had only one jack-of-all-trades weight machine that was well-built (and probably expensive) but remarkably complicated as it transformed into dozens of different positions. It would also be awkward if others were trying to work on this machine simultaneously. They should simply rename this area the “Cardio Area” because that is all that could be really accomplished in this room. The fitness area was small and rather cramped. There were two large bottles of water that were left there and some plastic cups in which to pour the water. No cold individual bottled waters (which is pretty standard at five star hotels). Also, as a swimmer I was disappointed they did not have a pool (but realize that they probably did not have space for such a luxury given the size of the footprint the Lorien sits on). As a suggestion, I think Lorien should include additional weights or weight equipment in the secondary room beyond the cardio equipment.

The Spa: I only walked by it. We had no time for treatments. It looked nice though.

The Restaurant: We went into Brabo to grab a drink after our dinner in Alexandria. There were a few people that were still sitting in the dining room. When we got to the bar area, it was very crowded and we could not locate a seat for our group. We asked the hostess at Brabo whether or not we could grab a drink and sit at one of the tables in the dining room. She did not know and went to ask someone else. She came back and said no. We were surprised. We were essentially turned away. I chalk this up to inexperience, but would hate to see this happen in the future.

The Service: Very friendly, very accommodating. Check in was simple and fast. All the front desk clerks were very affable. The valet and bellmen were very helpful and courteous. We did not use the concierge so we cannot comment. I booked at a rate which allowed me a $20/nt discount on meals. That discount was not reflected on my bill. It was promptly removed without hassle at the front desk.

Overall this is a wonderful 4 to 4.5 star property. Rating it as such, I give it 5 out of 5. If I were rating it as a five star property, I would give it less than a 5 out of 5. Lorien needs some work to reach the five star level (turndown service; better fitness area; telling us we can’t sit and enjoy a drink in an empty restaurant). Some say I might be too picky, but frankly the small details and extra polish is what separates the four star properties from the five star properties. With that said, I would definitely return to Lorien when staying in Northern Virginia. This is a very nice property off to an excellent start. Bravo, Kimpton. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Lorien_GM, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2009
Good Afternoon Chgodiver,

I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to complete such an extensive review of the Lorien Hotel & Spa. The information you presented is extremely helpful for us to continue to strive to provide our guests the best possible experience. The best insight we receive is from or guests, so I truly appreciate the amount of time it must have taken for you to complete your review.

There are a few things that you mentioned I would like to address. The hotel does offer turndown service on a request basis, however we obviously need to do a better job of communicating that to our guests if you did not know it was available. In addition, we are awaiting more channels to be installed in HD. When this process is completed, there will be a total of 9 channels in HD. We are currently evaluating the need for some small free weight dumbells for use in the health facility. The rear portion of the Fitness Center is designed to be used for Yoga and stretching; and we have added a permanent water solution as well.

Thank you for your wonderful comments about the staff. I feel very privileged to work with the team here and it is particularly rewarding to see that you enjoyed your experiences with them.

If you are ever in the Alexandria area in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would love to be able to welcome you back to our hotel. You can reach me via email at don.anderson@lorienhotelandspa.com or by dialing 703-894-3434.

Thank you again.

Don
los angeles, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

This place is amazing! The staff is excellent - this is a place where everyone takes the time to know your name and preferences! The minute I walked into the room, I laughed in delight because the design of the rooms is exquisite. The staff is friendly and professional, valet parking is cheap, and two perks - 1) there's a spa downstairs and 2) they have an excellent restaurant and "tasting room." It was a true pleasure. My new mainstay in Northern Virginia. :)

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

This is a great small hotel and another gem in the Kimpton family. My first impression upon walking into the lobby was of utter relaxation. The subtle fragrance combined with the airy light blues and white color palette blended to create a soothing ambience. Hotel staff were friendly all the way. The valet always welcomed me back and even offered to carry my one shopping bag of food. Reception staff were equally friendly. One way to measure service is by 1) the meeting of your request 2) doing so promptly, and 3) doing so with a smile. All this was done. For example, the night prior I ordered a wakeup call at 7:00am, followed by breakfast at 7:10am, and a cab at 7:35am. Everything arrived within 2 minutes of the requested time.

Rooms: I had a double room. Beds are amazing. Linens super soft. Complimentary robes for use. Bathrooms are massive. Also a range of complimentary bathroom amenities such as toothbrush and toothpaste. The decor of the rooms were again in an airy light blue and white palette. Once again, very soothing. Large flat screen TV included with free internet if you are a Kimpton member.

If you are looking for a 5-star experience for not a 5-star price, I recommend this hotel. It is not the norm, and in a good way at that.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
RougeGM, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2009
Dear NEP1984,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor regarding the Lorien Hotel & Spa. I realize how precious time is, so I truly appreciate the effort that you put into this.

If you are ever in The Alexandria, VA area again, I am hopeful you will allow us to welcome you back.

Please feel free to send me an email as I would love to welcome you back personally. My email address is don.anderson@lorienhotelandspa.com. Of course you can phone as well; that number is 703-894-3434.

Best Regards,

Don Anderson

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!