“The Lorien is Wonderful...” 5 of 5 stars

Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Phoenix
“The Lorien is Wonderful...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

We recently stayed at the brand new Lorien Hotel and Spa in Alexandria, VA. It was dreamy. We were actually their first guests of record during their opening weekend and they really rolled out the red carpet for us - champagne, fresh flowers, yummy treats left in our room... The Lorien is a beautiful property convenient to Metro transportation, shopping, dining, and to all of the fabulous Washington DC area attractions. Our room was luxurious and spacious with a great “Kimpton” bed and large beautiful bathroom. The on-sight restaurant BRABO is excellent as well - highly recommend it. We had a wonderful weekend at the Lorien and look forward to returning as we often travel to the DC area for both work and play. Many thanks to Don, Marc and Scott, you and your entire staff are stellar.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
RougeGM, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2009
Dear Traceyphoenix,

Thank you very much for completing this review on Trip Advisor. It was so much fun having the two of you arrive at the hotel on the 12th. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

I know you have my contact information, but please do call me or send me an email when you are headed back. I am looking forward to seeing you both then.

All the Best,

Don Anderson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

I wish that I could express how impressed I was with the level of customer service and concern that the Lorien's staff were able to provide during our first (but not last) visit to their hotel!
I chose the hotel based on its easy access to the metro and all the fun that Old Towne provides, but was swept away with the professionalism and concern that the staff took in making what was a special weekend for my girlfriend and I, absolutely incredible!
Mark, Maureen, and all the hotel staff bent over backwards to ensure that we had a magnificent experience and there is no way that I could ever repay their kindness or attention to detail. They made a very important weekend truly exceptional!
The room we were provided was extraordinarily, and even as kinks were worked out during opening weekend, the staff was able to take care of our every need.
I will never stay in another hotel in the DC area! And have made sure to tell all my friends not only about the amazing level of customer service, but the genuine level of concern for our happiness demonstrated by every member of the staff that we came in contact with during our stay.
Don't waste your time looking for a better place to stay, this is the absolute best!

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Podge179,

Thank you so much for posting on Trip Advisor. It is always so rewarding to read about a great guest stay. Thank you also for recognizing the team members in your note. They were thrilled to see the impact they created for you and your guest. I want to thank you for also having such patience while we managed through our glitches.

As you already have my contact information, please feel free to contact me if you are ever in the Alexandria/Washington DC area in the future. I would be honored to welcome you back personally.

Best Regards,

Glen Allen, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

Just opened! My room even had a paint smell. It's a good thing I'm not allergic. : )

Amazing courtesy and helpfulness from the front desk. Example: Hutch, the bell-person at my check-in was delightfully gracious and helpful. (You can see a pic of Hutch on my photo-site.)

Our assigned room did not have a bath tub, so we were graciously and quickly transferred to a room with a large tub (on legs!) and one of the rain showers.

I can not say enough about the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. I tend to be outgoing and curious, so perhaps they were responding in part to that.

The restaurant -- Brabo -- is fantastic as well. We ate dinner both nights there and found the same graciousness from the staff. The General Manager, from Lille, France, is particularly hospitable and professional. Our wait-person both nights, Melody, knew the menu perfectly and was able to answer every question. That was impressive for a restaurant that has been open only a few days. The chef was frequently seen in the dining area, indicating a hands-on approach to his food and guests.

Back to the hotel/. I can nit-pick some minor design flaws here and there, but it might appear trivial. Example, at 60 years old, I look for handrails (bars) when I use a hotel bathtub or shower. Nothing was available. I found myself holding to the glass panel when I exited the over-sized shower area. Another: I could use additional light near the door and closet. And: the toilet paper dispenser seemed awkwardly close to the commode.

Minor design flaws aside, I must award this hotel very high marks. The courtyard and the side-courtyard are beautiful. I wish it had been warmer.

I look forward to this becoming one of Metro DC's more comfortable, inviting, properties.

Note: I did not use the spa services. The exercise room looks fine for a hotel of this size.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear donwest48,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I really appreciate all the feedback, especially reading about some of the team members. That always is rewarding to see how our team has impacted a guest.

I was also pleased to see you had some great feedback for BRABO by Robert Wiedmaier.

Please feel free to send me an email if you are ever in the Alexandria area again, as I would love to welcome you back personally. My email address is don.anderson@lorienhotelandspa.com. Of course you can phone as well; that number is 703-894-3434.

Best Regards,

Don Anderson

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!