“Best Boutique Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Best Boutique Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I stayed here twice, once for business and the second for leisure travel. They offer STELLAR service within the hotel as well as the restaurants. We absolutely enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to return again, and again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Tobias A, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear SCGYRL87,

Thank you for your loyalty and for your kind words. The entire Lorien team is looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Tobias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Forest Hills, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

My wife and I stayed for a week while traveling to DC. The rooms are aesthetically pleasing but these create a few problems. 1, the shower door will not keep water in the shower and it floods the bathroom. 2, there is no privacy created by the glass door to the bathroom. 3, the sheets are soft but fail to fit the mattress creating discomfort at odd hours of the morning. The location was ideal for our needs and price okay but given these issues I'll probably keep shopping next time we come to Arlington.

Stayed August 2014
Tobias A, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Hello Taylor C,

We appreciate you choosing the Lorien Hotel & Spa for your recent stay and we value your important feedback. We really don’t like to be average and I hope to get the chance to wow you on your next trip. Please let me know if you are planning to come back. I can be reached at: tobias.arff@lorienhotelandspa.com

Respectfully,

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I had never stayed at a Kimpton property before, but had the privilege of staying at both the Lorien and the Hotel Monaco, both Kimpton hotels, during a visit to Old Town Alexandria in mid-June. I had booked a room for the first night of my visit at the nearby Hampton Inn, but upon check-in, learned that the property had no water due to a water main break out at the street. I walked a few steps down King Street to the Lorien, and found that they had water, and the room rate was the same as the Hampton! Room was spacious and clean, and the staff was helpful and friendly. They boast a spa and an upscale restaurant, but I never felt like the staff was "snobby." It's a neat property in a wonderful location, just a short walk to the King Street Metro station. I was really impressed by this hotel. I've joined the Kimpton rewards program, and I will go out of my way to seek out other Kimpton properties in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Tobias A, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Butch R,

Thank you for staying with us. We really appreciate your great feedback!
I always get excited when I hear that a new Kimpton friend joins our family.
We are looking forward to welcome you back at the Lorien and at other Kimpton Hotels around the nation.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Lorien the first weekend of August, 2014 to visit my brother who resides in Alexandria. The location was perfect! It was only blocks from the Metro. It was on King Street with all the historical shops and great restaurants.

As for the hotel, it was very charming. As we entered the hotel, there was a courtyard with tables, available to the public. One restaurant, the Brabo Tasting Room, appeared to be in an old, original colonial building on King Street. The other restaurant, Brabo, was built into the same building as the Lorien. The newer structure was integrated with the older one to provide it with colonial charm.

The service was exceptional. Everyone always had a smile and hello.

The rooms were very nice. They were a painted a sea blue that was very restful. We were fortunate enough to have a room with a balcony so we could watch people coming and going. The bed was very comfortable. My only complaints were two: 1) There are no coffee makers in the rooms. There is complimentary coffee in the lobby in the morning. However, by the time we were able to go to the lobby to have some, it was very acidic. It would be much nicer if coffee pots were provided for the rooms, as they are in most hotels. and 2) The glass bathroom doors do not close all the way. This may not bother some people, but there was also a mirror on the wall opposite the door. I did not enjoy having someone being able to watch me perform all my bodily functions. I would prefer a door that would close all the way for more privacy. However, the complimentary wine happy hour in the lobby at the end of the day made up for these inconveniences.

The hotel also has a spa and fitness room. We were not able to enjoy the spa, but the fitness center was perfect. Great equipment and very clean.

Overall, we were very pleased. We will definitely stay there when we return. We will just find some other way to have our coffee in the morning and find a creative way to keep the bathroom door shut for privacy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony and facing King Street.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello EquesLady,

I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your recent experience with us. Please let me know when you are planning to return to Old Ton Alexandria. We have coffee makers available free of charge and would be happy to have one waiting in your room upon arrival moving forward.

Thank you for your important feedback!

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed this lovely hotel. We utilized the courtyard everyday we were visiting to relax between excursions. The hotel staff was very helpful and accommodating. Our only gripe is that we really didn't have any natural light in our room- the tiny window looked onto someone else's balcony- but since we were in the room so little- this wasn't that big of a deal. We will certainly choose the Lorien on our next visit to Alexandria.

Room Tip: Sign up for Kimpton Rewards and book through them. They offer low rate guarantees and with the rewa...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Kelly C,

We appreciate that you chose the Lorien Hotel & Spa for your recent stay in Old Town Alexandria. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us. We have many different room types and every room in our hotel is different. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you are planning to return. It would love to pick a room with a lot of natural light for you.

Carlisle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

weekend with my wife to experience the area, explore and dine. The hotel staff was pleasant and attentive, the room and bathroom were spotless, the bed was comfortable and nicely dressed, the decor is modern eclectic, they had a 'wine hour' each evening for guests, smallish hotel but very fine, would love to stay here again,

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello DVE11044,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers on Trip Advisor. Receiving such great feedback means a lot to our entire team, especially when it comes from an experienced traveler as you. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Respectfully,

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Best customer service out there! I continue to come back to this hotel and the consistency of service is there every time. Rooms are very cool and always clean, and staff goes above an beyond to make the stay comfortable. The Spa and restaurants have great food as well.

I usually stay there for business, but would use it for a fun trip with family as well!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Ieva G,

You love our hotel and we love having you. Thank you for your loyalty!
Hope to welcome you back soon.

Tobias

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!