“An excellent choice in Alexandria” 5 of 5 stars

Upgrade Your Stay
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Madison, Wisconsin
“An excellent choice in Alexandria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I had never stayed at a Kimpton property before, but had the privilege of staying at both the Lorien and the Hotel Monaco, both Kimpton hotels, during a visit to Old Town Alexandria in mid-June. I had booked a room for the first night of my visit at the nearby Hampton Inn, but upon check-in, learned that the property had no water due to a water main break out at the street. I walked a few steps down King Street to the Lorien, and found that they had water, and the room rate was the same as the Hampton! Room was spacious and clean, and the staff was helpful and friendly. They boast a spa and an upscale restaurant, but I never felt like the staff was "snobby." It's a neat property in a wonderful location, just a short walk to the King Street Metro station. I was really impressed by this hotel. I've joined the Kimpton rewards program, and I will go out of my way to seek out other Kimpton properties in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Tobias A, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Butch R,

Thank you for staying with us. We really appreciate your great feedback!
I always get excited when I hear that a new Kimpton friend joins our family.
We are looking forward to welcome you back at the Lorien and at other Kimpton Hotels around the nation.

Tobias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Lorien the first weekend of August, 2014 to visit my brother who resides in Alexandria. The location was perfect! It was only blocks from the Metro. It was on King Street with all the historical shops and great restaurants.

As for the hotel, it was very charming. As we entered the hotel, there was a courtyard with tables, available to the public. One restaurant, the Brabo Tasting Room, appeared to be in an old, original colonial building on King Street. The other restaurant, Brabo, was built into the same building as the Lorien. The newer structure was integrated with the older one to provide it with colonial charm.

The service was exceptional. Everyone always had a smile and hello.

The rooms were very nice. They were a painted a sea blue that was very restful. We were fortunate enough to have a room with a balcony so we could watch people coming and going. The bed was very comfortable. My only complaints were two: 1) There are no coffee makers in the rooms. There is complimentary coffee in the lobby in the morning. However, by the time we were able to go to the lobby to have some, it was very acidic. It would be much nicer if coffee pots were provided for the rooms, as they are in most hotels. and 2) The glass bathroom doors do not close all the way. This may not bother some people, but there was also a mirror on the wall opposite the door. I did not enjoy having someone being able to watch me perform all my bodily functions. I would prefer a door that would close all the way for more privacy. However, the complimentary wine happy hour in the lobby at the end of the day made up for these inconveniences.

The hotel also has a spa and fitness room. We were not able to enjoy the spa, but the fitness center was perfect. Great equipment and very clean.

Overall, we were very pleased. We will definitely stay there when we return. We will just find some other way to have our coffee in the morning and find a creative way to keep the bathroom door shut for privacy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony and facing King Street.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello EquesLady,

I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your recent experience with us. Please let me know when you are planning to return to Old Ton Alexandria. We have coffee makers available free of charge and would be happy to have one waiting in your room upon arrival moving forward.

Thank you for your important feedback!

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed this lovely hotel. We utilized the courtyard everyday we were visiting to relax between excursions. The hotel staff was very helpful and accommodating. Our only gripe is that we really didn't have any natural light in our room- the tiny window looked onto someone else's balcony- but since we were in the room so little- this wasn't that big of a deal. We will certainly choose the Lorien on our next visit to Alexandria.

Room Tip: Sign up for Kimpton Rewards and book through them. They offer low rate guarantees and with the rewa...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Kelly C,

We appreciate that you chose the Lorien Hotel & Spa for your recent stay in Old Town Alexandria. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us. We have many different room types and every room in our hotel is different. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you are planning to return. It would love to pick a room with a lot of natural light for you.

Carlisle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

weekend with my wife to experience the area, explore and dine. The hotel staff was pleasant and attentive, the room and bathroom were spotless, the bed was comfortable and nicely dressed, the decor is modern eclectic, they had a 'wine hour' each evening for guests, smallish hotel but very fine, would love to stay here again,

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello DVE11044,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers on Trip Advisor. Receiving such great feedback means a lot to our entire team, especially when it comes from an experienced traveler as you. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Respectfully,

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Best customer service out there! I continue to come back to this hotel and the consistency of service is there every time. Rooms are very cool and always clean, and staff goes above an beyond to make the stay comfortable. The Spa and restaurants have great food as well.

I usually stay there for business, but would use it for a fun trip with family as well!

Dear Ieva G,

You love our hotel and we love having you. Thank you for your loyalty!
Hope to welcome you back soon.

North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

This trip to Alexandria was a combination get away for me - and a business trip for my sister who I accompanied. We are not familiar with the Kimpton properties so were unsure what to expect.
We were more than pleasantly surprised!
The hotel is very conveniently located on King Street close to the station - with easy access to downtown DC and environs. In addition there is a free trolley that runs frequently and in addition to providing transport provides information on the locations on the route. Very nice touch.
We found the accommodation more than comfortable - we had requested a feather free room - normally the result is hard pillow and less than luxurious blankets - or comforters! Certainly not the case here. Quite frankly the incredibly comfortable pillows were unexpected - softer and more comfortable than down - resulting in a great night's sleep with no stiff neck from bulky bedding.
The layout of each room is apparently a little different as this was initially planned as apartments or condos. The result is very pleasant - very different from the normal chains with their duplicate artwork and identical layouts. The furniture and fitting were above standard for a hotel of this class - something that was a welcome change as I tend to travel frequently and find some of the chain hotels with their predictable rooms rather tedious.
They offer a complimentary happy hour - this took place in the 'library' which extends to a lovely enclosed patio. The wine (red and white choices) were served by the hotel manager - again a nice touch as he went to the trouble to mingle with guests, making the whole experience more intimate and enjoyable.
Other personnel at the hotel went out of their way to meet our every need - my sister needed some copies of documents and although they do not offer a business center the desk staff took care of this for her.
Certainly a thumbs up from me!

Room Tip: Avoid a room that overlooks King Street - rather noisy in the morning
Green Features: The hotel offers complimentary bicycles - and encourages recycling - two different sides of the bio-friendly coin!
Dear Carlasroke,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for this great review. I’m glad that you were able to combine business and pleasure and that our team took such great care of you.
We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Really enjoyed my stay at the Lorien in Alexandria. Almetia and the rest of the staff truly went out of their way to ensure that I had a positive experience. The atmosphere is upscale yet very welcoming and the room was very well appointed. Location is perfect. Right on King Street, but away from the noise. Yet you walk to the water within minutes. Looking forward to my next visit with Kimpton, especially at the Lorien.

Room Tip: Diplomat suite is fun. If you are traveling with a group you can host people on the veranda.
Hello Jason D,

I’m thrilled that Almetia and the rest of our team took such good care of you and I like to thank you for your great feedback. The Diplomat Suite is indeed a fantastic room. I wish my backyard would be as large as the private outdoor terrace that overlooks out beautiful city.

Please come back to see us again soon!