“Enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Kennett Square, PA
“Enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Nice weekend stay. Staff was friendly and helpful. We brought our bikes from home and they were more than welcome to stop everything in the morning to escort us to the garage. Room was nice, no real view. We missed both happy hours. Only thing really confusing to us out of towners was arrival on Friday night. We arrived on the opposite side of the street and there is nowhere to pull in, only curb service. We had to drive around about 10 minutes to arrive on the same side of the street as the hotel. Overall, a very nice stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear hmgmba,

I am glad you enjoyed your weekend stay with us, and found it convenient to retrieve your bikes when needed. I am sorry your arrival experience wasn’t what both of us would have liked. For your next visit, please know our valet staff is always happy to accept your vehicle and assist you with your luggage from across the street.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Syosset, New York, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Nice little spa in the hotel. My husband and I both received Swedish massages and scalp massages. Mine was really nice. My husband was in pain the next day because his masseuse did more of a deep tissue massage which is not what he wanted, but he also didn't say anything to her. Overall it was a nice experience.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Hello Marina M,

I am sorry your husband’s spa experience did not align with the description of the treatment he selected. I have shared your feedback with our Spa Director. I was pleased to note you enjoyed your overall stay with us.

Cordially,

Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I have stayed in several Kimpton properties and this is another very nice hotel. They go out of their way to be a little different on many levels, whether this is in the design, the integration of the architecture, etc. They simply are not cookie-cutter hotels and they adapt to their surroundings exceptionally well. Staff, as always, are excellent and accommodating. We had a small reception in the courtyard just off of the check in area and the food was excellent and the wine selection was great. We also had a dinner meeting in an auxiliary room on the main floor and the salmon was perfect. The room was nice and well appointed – but small excluding the enormous bathroom. This seems rather common in other Kiptom properties as well. Overall, a great stay for a business meeting with great rooms, excellent staff, and a nice restaurant to boot.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Hi BoCoMoTiger,

I was pleased to note our staff provided you with wonderful service, and that you enjoyed your banquet reception and dinner with us. We definitely put a lot of effort into making our bathrooms a focal point of our guest’s experience.

I hope you can return for a longer stay next time,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Came for all of 12 hours before flying home to California. Room was nice, a little small, but nicely furnished. I went to the wine hour and the snacks from Brabo were great. As always the best part of Lorien is the staff. I had to leave at 4 am and they had a taxi and hot tea waiting for me. That's service. Hope to stay here longer next time.

• Stayed November 2013
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Hello Triciammh,

If you only have 12 hours on the ground, then taking in our evening wine reception is a must! I was thrilled to note our staff took great care of you on the morning of your departure. I am sorry you couldn’t stay longer.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

The boutique hotel is located a quick cab ride ($30) or metro ride ($3 or 2 stops) from Ronald Reagan airport and is easy walking distance to all the restaurants and shops along King Street. It's about a 25 minute metro ride to the main sites in DC. It's a pricy hotel that doesn't deliver the goods. We stayed for 3 nights.

Upon arrival, you walk through a courtyard into the hotel and you're standing at reception. There is no space to sit or meet up with someone with the exception of a small room to the right. That sitting space is also used by the meeting rooms (food served there), so it's very tight, not well laid out.

The food (breakfast in the restaurant; lunch meals served buffet style for meetings) was a disappointment. Besides heavy sauces and dressings on the hot meals, the sandwiches were light on the insides and heavy on the bread.

The king room was crammed (see pics) for one person, and for two nearly impossible to move around. The bed was not comfortable - clearly one side was always slept on, so it leaned towards the only night stand in the room and made it feel like it was two twin beds pushed together. The room has room darkening shades, so that is a plus, but the hotel is not quiet. One can hear everything that goes on in the hallways and the outside courtyard, so be prepared to be woken up. The bedding was clean and comfortable while the bath towels were stiff and old.

Housekeeping was not on their game. Two of our nights, the trash wasn't emptied, the soaps/shampoos were not refreshed until we asked, and we were charged items from the mini bar which we didn't use. That was resolved on checkout.

Wifi is free if you sign up for Kimpton account.

We would not return again to this property.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel. You do not want to face the courtyard or King Street
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Hi GRLTRAV,

I am glad you enjoyed our location which is two blocks from the Metro station that can take you to DCA or up into DC. I am sorry you found our living room to be on the small side, but during the warmer months the main courtyard, and our other terrace with a fire pit offer additional seating and gathering space. I appreciate your feedback about your meal experiences, guest room and Housekeeping services.

Cordially,

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This hotel is somewhat pricy, but my husband and I stayed for two nights and it was wonderful. The staff were all over the top nice and helpful. The rooms are amazing and I loved the bathroom. The bed was so comfortable I slept more soundly than I have in years.

We ate breakfast at the restaurant and service was a little slow, but food was very good. Also, came back to the hotel and had a drink at the bar and there was a nice atmosphere.

You can walk everywhere and there is a train station 2 blocks. Everything was very close. I hope to be able to return again soon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Hi NoelMarieD,

There’s nothing better than a good night’s sleep; I am glad you experienced that with us. I am pleased you found our staff to be very friendly and accommodating, but I am sorry our restaurant breakfast service was not as timely as you expect.

We look forward to your next visit,

Sonoma, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is unlike any other Kimpton I have stayed in so far. I booked a week at the Lorien for work, as a more affordable option from staying in the city, and a respite from my week in Capitol Hill. Despite the crazy fun wedding taking place upon my arrival, my room was a quiet calm space. I enjoyed great wine, beer and delicious "tarts" (pizza) at the Brabo Tasting Room, and expensive but delicious steak and desserts at the Brabo restaurant. The staff is what I expect from a Kimpton - friendly, liberal, fast at taking action, and they remember you. I felt loved at the Lorien, even if I was having some key problems (security systems at the Feds hates hotel keys) and had one hiccup with the restaurant upon my arrival (the tasting room became the place the restaurant staff went to watch a baseball game, and they closed earlier then the sign says, I complained to the staff, and the manager called, reimbursed my meal (!!!! total surprise) and things were great after that!)

Anyway, my room was far away from the elevator and in a quiet part of the hotel (actually on the street). Rooms are a nice size (standard American hotel room size) and I did sneak a peek of a suite when passing by one being cleaned and it was quite calm and nice.

There is a nice courtyard in the hotel and outside the hotel, but the weather was too cold. Wine happy hour comes with complimentary hor'dourves from Brabo!

I also took advantage of the spa - it was wonderful. My first professional massage (!) and I was treated great. There were lots of regulars there, which says a lot about the services. The steam room was a nice treat. My only complaint: they don't do mani/pedi's. But that's OK, I felt stoned after my massage and could careless about my nails after that!

Love the Lorien. Love Kimpton!

Room Tip: Away from the elevator - of course! I had a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the street and it was...
Green Features: I was a bit surprised not to see recycling containers in the room, but, I assume they might separate things. Restaurants also use seasonal ingredients!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Hi Sarah S,

Thank you for selecting us even though your business takes you to Capitol Hill. I am sorry a baseball game got in the way of our staff providing you with the service you should expect; I am pleased our manager was able to make everything right for you. I am glad you enjoyed your quiet room, our wine happy hour and your amazing spa experience.

We look forward to welcome you back,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!