“Wish I could have stayed longer” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Sweet Suite Deal
Ranked #1 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Wish I could have stayed longer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Came for all of 12 hours before flying home to California. Room was nice, a little small, but nicely furnished. I went to the wine hour and the snacks from Brabo were great. As always the best part of Lorien is the staff. I had to leave at 4 am and they had a taxi and hot tea waiting for me. That's service. Hope to stay here longer next time.

• Stayed November 2013
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Hello Triciammh,

If you only have 12 hours on the ground, then taking in our evening wine reception is a must! I was thrilled to note our staff took great care of you on the morning of your departure. I am sorry you couldn’t stay longer.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

858 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

The boutique hotel is located a quick cab ride ($30) or metro ride ($3 or 2 stops) from Ronald Reagan airport and is easy walking distance to all the restaurants and shops along King Street. It's about a 25 minute metro ride to the main sites in DC. It's a pricy hotel that doesn't deliver the goods. We stayed for 3 nights.

Upon arrival, you walk through a courtyard into the hotel and you're standing at reception. There is no space to sit or meet up with someone with the exception of a small room to the right. That sitting space is also used by the meeting rooms (food served there), so it's very tight, not well laid out.

The food (breakfast in the restaurant; lunch meals served buffet style for meetings) was a disappointment. Besides heavy sauces and dressings on the hot meals, the sandwiches were light on the insides and heavy on the bread.

The king room was crammed (see pics) for one person, and for two nearly impossible to move around. The bed was not comfortable - clearly one side was always slept on, so it leaned towards the only night stand in the room and made it feel like it was two twin beds pushed together. The room has room darkening shades, so that is a plus, but the hotel is not quiet. One can hear everything that goes on in the hallways and the outside courtyard, so be prepared to be woken up. The bedding was clean and comfortable while the bath towels were stiff and old.

Housekeeping was not on their game. Two of our nights, the trash wasn't emptied, the soaps/shampoos were not refreshed until we asked, and we were charged items from the mini bar which we didn't use. That was resolved on checkout.

Wifi is free if you sign up for Kimpton account.

We would not return again to this property.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel. You do not want to face the courtyard or King Street
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Hi GRLTRAV,

I am glad you enjoyed our location which is two blocks from the Metro station that can take you to DCA or up into DC. I am sorry you found our living room to be on the small side, but during the warmer months the main courtyard, and our other terrace with a fire pit offer additional seating and gathering space. I appreciate your feedback about your meal experiences, guest room and Housekeeping services.

Cordially,

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This hotel is somewhat pricy, but my husband and I stayed for two nights and it was wonderful. The staff were all over the top nice and helpful. The rooms are amazing and I loved the bathroom. The bed was so comfortable I slept more soundly than I have in years.

We ate breakfast at the restaurant and service was a little slow, but food was very good. Also, came back to the hotel and had a drink at the bar and there was a nice atmosphere.

You can walk everywhere and there is a train station 2 blocks. Everything was very close. I hope to be able to return again soon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Hi NoelMarieD,

There’s nothing better than a good night’s sleep; I am glad you experienced that with us. I am pleased you found our staff to be very friendly and accommodating, but I am sorry our restaurant breakfast service was not as timely as you expect.

We look forward to your next visit,

Sonoma, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is unlike any other Kimpton I have stayed in so far. I booked a week at the Lorien for work, as a more affordable option from staying in the city, and a respite from my week in Capitol Hill. Despite the crazy fun wedding taking place upon my arrival, my room was a quiet calm space. I enjoyed great wine, beer and delicious "tarts" (pizza) at the Brabo Tasting Room, and expensive but delicious steak and desserts at the Brabo restaurant. The staff is what I expect from a Kimpton - friendly, liberal, fast at taking action, and they remember you. I felt loved at the Lorien, even if I was having some key problems (security systems at the Feds hates hotel keys) and had one hiccup with the restaurant upon my arrival (the tasting room became the place the restaurant staff went to watch a baseball game, and they closed earlier then the sign says, I complained to the staff, and the manager called, reimbursed my meal (!!!! total surprise) and things were great after that!)

Anyway, my room was far away from the elevator and in a quiet part of the hotel (actually on the street). Rooms are a nice size (standard American hotel room size) and I did sneak a peek of a suite when passing by one being cleaned and it was quite calm and nice.

There is a nice courtyard in the hotel and outside the hotel, but the weather was too cold. Wine happy hour comes with complimentary hor'dourves from Brabo!

I also took advantage of the spa - it was wonderful. My first professional massage (!) and I was treated great. There were lots of regulars there, which says a lot about the services. The steam room was a nice treat. My only complaint: they don't do mani/pedi's. But that's OK, I felt stoned after my massage and could careless about my nails after that!

Love the Lorien. Love Kimpton!

Room Tip: Away from the elevator - of course! I had a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the street and it was...
Green Features: I was a bit surprised not to see recycling containers in the room, but, I assume they might separate things. Restaurants also use seasonal ingredients!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Hi Sarah S,

Thank you for selecting us even though your business takes you to Capitol Hill. I am sorry a baseball game got in the way of our staff providing you with the service you should expect; I am pleased our manager was able to make everything right for you. I am glad you enjoyed your quiet room, our wine happy hour and your amazing spa experience.

We look forward to welcome you back,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had stayed here before and had a great experience, so we decided to stay for my husband's birthday. Even though the location is nice to walk around and the spa and restaurant/bar are quite nice (plus the rooms are comfortable and very clean), the staff could really use some training. Of course, some staff members were good, but others made our stay a bit unpleasant. The woman who checked us in was particularly arrogant, couldn't care less about the kind of room that we were looking for, and doesn't even greet people when they walk into the lobby right in front of her (most other staff does, though). For breakfast, there was nobody at the door when we came into the restaurant and picked our seat, but then someone came trying to move us to a different section of the restaurant (seriously? walking an extra 6 steps to reach our table is such a big deal?). We love Old Town Alexandria and will definitely spend some time there in the future, but probably in a different hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view to the street (rather than the parking lot/back end) are much nicer. Some rooms al...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello justhf,

I appreciate you staying with us a second time, but I am sorry we disappointed you relative to some of your interactions with our staff. Your feedback will assist us in improving the service we provide. I am glad you enjoy our location, Brabo restaurant and spa.

Cordially,

Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Nice Place. Rooms were decently sized. Clean. Good service. Friendly. The Location is great if you want to stay close to the airport and downtown DC. We look forward to staying in other Kimpton Hotels.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Hi GlennJose,

I am glad you enjoyed the friendly and accommodating service provided by our staff, and that our location just two blocks from the Metro station was convenient.

We look forward to your next visit,

Kennebunkport, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I frequently stay at this hotel when I am in Alexandria on business with the US Patent Office. The service is great. The hotel is comfortable and accessible to everything in Old Town as well as King Street Metro station. When I first reserved a room, I tried to get one with a rain shower because I was building a house and wanted to try one out. The desk clerk told me he didn't have that room available but offered to upgrade my room. When I explained why that particular amenity was important to me, he asked me to wait a bit in the restaurant, brought a glass of wine and told me to order some lunch on them. Everything worked out and they found me another room with a rain shower (okay, but decided against one for my house). As an aside, the last time I stayed, I found that the chef made the best pea soup I have ever tasted.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Hi Nina P,

I am glad you find our location convenient for your travels to Alexandria. I appreciate you sharing your experience about our Front Desk agent that took the time to find you the perfect room. I am sorry you decided against a rain shower for your house, but pleased we were able to help out with your decision.

We hope to see you again soon,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!