“Great week stay - from spa to service to food” 5 of 5 stars

Sweet Suite Deal
Ranked #1 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sonoma, California
“Great week stay - from spa to service to food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is unlike any other Kimpton I have stayed in so far. I booked a week at the Lorien for work, as a more affordable option from staying in the city, and a respite from my week in Capitol Hill. Despite the crazy fun wedding taking place upon my arrival, my room was a quiet calm space. I enjoyed great wine, beer and delicious "tarts" (pizza) at the Brabo Tasting Room, and expensive but delicious steak and desserts at the Brabo restaurant. The staff is what I expect from a Kimpton - friendly, liberal, fast at taking action, and they remember you. I felt loved at the Lorien, even if I was having some key problems (security systems at the Feds hates hotel keys) and had one hiccup with the restaurant upon my arrival (the tasting room became the place the restaurant staff went to watch a baseball game, and they closed earlier then the sign says, I complained to the staff, and the manager called, reimbursed my meal (!!!! total surprise) and things were great after that!)

Anyway, my room was far away from the elevator and in a quiet part of the hotel (actually on the street). Rooms are a nice size (standard American hotel room size) and I did sneak a peek of a suite when passing by one being cleaned and it was quite calm and nice.

There is a nice courtyard in the hotel and outside the hotel, but the weather was too cold. Wine happy hour comes with complimentary hor'dourves from Brabo!

I also took advantage of the spa - it was wonderful. My first professional massage (!) and I was treated great. There were lots of regulars there, which says a lot about the services. The steam room was a nice treat. My only complaint: they don't do mani/pedi's. But that's OK, I felt stoned after my massage and could careless about my nails after that!

Love the Lorien. Love Kimpton!

Room Tip: Away from the elevator - of course! I had a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the street and it was...
Green Features: I was a bit surprised not to see recycling containers in the room, but, I assume they might separate things. Restaurants also use seasonal ingredients!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Hi Sarah S,

Thank you for selecting us even though your business takes you to Capitol Hill. I am sorry a baseball game got in the way of our staff providing you with the service you should expect; I am pleased our manager was able to make everything right for you. I am glad you enjoyed your quiet room, our wine happy hour and your amazing spa experience.

We look forward to welcome you back,

852 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had stayed here before and had a great experience, so we decided to stay for my husband's birthday. Even though the location is nice to walk around and the spa and restaurant/bar are quite nice (plus the rooms are comfortable and very clean), the staff could really use some training. Of course, some staff members were good, but others made our stay a bit unpleasant. The woman who checked us in was particularly arrogant, couldn't care less about the kind of room that we were looking for, and doesn't even greet people when they walk into the lobby right in front of her (most other staff does, though). For breakfast, there was nobody at the door when we came into the restaurant and picked our seat, but then someone came trying to move us to a different section of the restaurant (seriously? walking an extra 6 steps to reach our table is such a big deal?). We love Old Town Alexandria and will definitely spend some time there in the future, but probably in a different hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view to the street (rather than the parking lot/back end) are much nicer. Some rooms al...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello justhf,

I appreciate you staying with us a second time, but I am sorry we disappointed you relative to some of your interactions with our staff. Your feedback will assist us in improving the service we provide. I am glad you enjoy our location, Brabo restaurant and spa.

Cordially,

Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Nice Place. Rooms were decently sized. Clean. Good service. Friendly. The Location is great if you want to stay close to the airport and downtown DC. We look forward to staying in other Kimpton Hotels.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Hi GlennJose,

I am glad you enjoyed the friendly and accommodating service provided by our staff, and that our location just two blocks from the Metro station was convenient.

We look forward to your next visit,

Kennebunkport, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I frequently stay at this hotel when I am in Alexandria on business with the US Patent Office. The service is great. The hotel is comfortable and accessible to everything in Old Town as well as King Street Metro station. When I first reserved a room, I tried to get one with a rain shower because I was building a house and wanted to try one out. The desk clerk told me he didn't have that room available but offered to upgrade my room. When I explained why that particular amenity was important to me, he asked me to wait a bit in the restaurant, brought a glass of wine and told me to order some lunch on them. Everything worked out and they found me another room with a rain shower (okay, but decided against one for my house). As an aside, the last time I stayed, I found that the chef made the best pea soup I have ever tasted.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Hi Nina P,

I am glad you find our location convenient for your travels to Alexandria. I appreciate you sharing your experience about our Front Desk agent that took the time to find you the perfect room. I am sorry you decided against a rain shower for your house, but pleased we were able to help out with your decision.

We hope to see you again soon,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed here this weekend. Great service from everyone from their valets to the front desk staff. The room was small but comfortable and clean and I love the C.O. Bigelow bathroom products. The location is perfect as well...a nice walk to the more happening part of old town Alexandria.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Hi Lama B,

I am pleased you received such wonderful service from our entire staff, and although your guest room was not as large as you expected, I am glad you felt comfortable and liked the provided bathroom amenities. If you are not hitting shops and restaurants on King St. the Metro stop is just two blocks away.

We hope to see you again soon,

Alexandria, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I'd booked a terrace suite based on onlune photos where the terraces had actual seating. I was terribly disappointed when I saw Suite 615 (overlooking King Street and bookended by the Diplomat and Presidential Suites). The terrace is a little walkway, with one rocking chair. Not very conducive to actual entertaining friends outdoors. The suite itself was surprisingly small (sorry, spoiled by my sweet suite stay at Hotel Giraffe in NYC...which was huge, had realistic photos if the juliet balciny, and was almost $200 cheaper.) The bathroom was awesome though; A+ rainshower experience.

But I cannot fault the service; the front desk must have heard how disapointed I was and they sent up a bottle of bubbly and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries (I would have actually preferred an extra chair for the walkway, aka terrace.)

Would I stay here again? Maybe, for a staycation. But I don't think I'd spring for a $500/night terrace suite again. It was kind of an expensive disappointment.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Hello Lor2876,

We have several unique terrace suites; I am sorry the one you received did not meet your expectations based on the website photographs. I am glad you enjoyed the upgraded rain shower bathroom and found that our staff was concerned with your satisfaction.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have stayed at the Lorien Hotel and Spa in Alexandria multiple times over the years, most recently for 6 nights while attending a conference. The hotel is a boutique hotel with an excellent restaurant, a spa, and a free wine reception from 5-6pm. It has meeting rooms and is able to host private dinners. I really enjoy staying here, As a Kimpton-In-Touch member I received free WiFi and $10 towards the mini-bar. The hotel is a short cab ride from the DCA airport (although you can take a train too). DC is accessible by taxi or the Metro (which is inexpensive and fast). Old Town is very quaint with lovely shops and excellent restaurants. All of the DC sights are accessible via the Metro. I had a very enjoyable stay at this hotel as usual!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces towards the front (North) of the hotel. Some of my colleagues whose room f...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Hello Andrea T,

I am glad you enjoy BRABO, our spa and the overall boutique feel of the hotel. Old Town certainly provides an excellent location for work and leisure activities.

Thank you for your continued business and we hope to see you again soon,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!