“Nice hotel in charming town” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Sweet Suite Deal
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Nice hotel in charming town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I attended a conference at this hotel and stayed for one evening. The service was friendly and helpful and I enjoyed all of the Kimpton perks: wine hour, free wifi and a $10 raid the mini bar credit.

The hotel fit right in with the surrounding neighborhood: quiet, quaint and charming. The bed was comfy and the room was nicely appointed with many outlets for charging. One negative was that the walls were thin and I could hear my neighbor coughing. Another was that it was hard to regulate the temperature in the room.

The positives of the stay exceeded the negatives and I would stay here again if I was in the area. I would not consider the area a destination, only because I think I experienced the bulk of it while there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Hi J and M M,

I am glad you enjoyed the quaint setting of the hotel just off King Street, as well as the comfortable room accommodations. I am sorry about the room disturbance and that you experienced issues with adjusting the room temperature.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I reserved the room at a last- minute rate and upgraded to a suite, which was small but plenty of room for one night. The room was well-decorated if a bit bland and could have used an overhead light in the sitting room. The bed was very comfy and the sheets fantastic. The bathroom was huge and nice. I gave cleanliness 4 out of 5 because there was mold at the base of the shower door, but otherwise it was clean.
Check-in and out we're fast and friendly but somehow felt a bit impersonal. Overall, it's a nice property, although not one of Kimpton's more exciting or funky ones. (I can't speak for the spa as we didn't see it.)

• Stayed October 2012
Hello Wendelfarb,

I am glad you enjoyed the comfortable bedding in your suite and found the bathroom to be large. I am sorry about the cleanliness issue in the bathroom, and that the sleek modern décor of the room left it a little lacking for your taste. I guess our check-in and check-out experiences were a little too efficient and didn’t lead to more personalized interactions. I have reviewed your feedback with our team.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Franklin, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We recently spent three nights at the Lorien Hotel in Old Town Alexandria. The location really can't be beat if you are wanting a location that gets you out of the District but close to charming shops and restaurants in Old Town. And when you want to get to the museums and downtown restaurants, the King Street metro stop is a few blocks away and a 20 minute metro ride! Hotel has a nice boutique hotel feel to it. The rooms were spotless and pleasantly large. The best part? The staff were some of the friendliest and most helpful that I have encountered in a hotel setting. Probie Too and Curly stood out. (nicknames I was told), but everybody that worked at the hotel seemed genuinely eager to make our stay a pleasant experience. We really had no complaints, I only have one suggestion. There is a fun "wine" hour from 5-6 every evening that is free and a nice plus. There is also free coffee in the am until 9am..I just wished that the coffee offer went a little longer, say 10am..not everybody is an early riser and it is nice to have that caffeine in the morning! We definitely would stay at this property again if in the DC area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Hi Sam194,

I was thrilled to note you found our staff to be so friendly and accommodating, and that you enjoyed our location and amenities. I am sorry you were not able to get your caffeine fix with us.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night at this charming hotel in the heart of Old Town. I had a corner room which was clean, contemporary and relatively large. The food is fresh and delicious. The staff are very warm and friendly and service is immaculate. I can't wait to come back again, hopefully with my family; stay a while and soak up the place a little!

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hello Rik4805,

I am glad you enjoyed the cleanliness and design of your guest room, and that you found our staff to be accommodating. I am pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy a meal in our restaurant BRABO.

We look forward to welcoming the whole family next time,

Villanova, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I recently stayed at the Lorien Hotel & Spa in charming Old Towne Alexandria. Centrally located on King Street just steps from many restaurants, stores, and the waterfront, the Lorien is an exceptional property in every way. The staff is professional, courteous, and eager to please. The valet, the front desk and housekeeping staff were all a pleasure to deal with. The room was spacious, clean and modern and the beds were luxurious. There was a complimentary happy hour each day and, as an In-Touch Rewards Member, I received free wi-fi and ten dollars to spend on the mini bar at no additional charge. Whenever I am in the DC area for business or pleasure, the Lorien is my new hotel of choice.

Room Tip: Request a view of the interior courtyard.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hello MMurphy313,

Thank you for choosing us for your recent trip to the DC area, and for being a Kimpton InTouch member. I’m glad our centralized location suited your needs and that you enjoyed your interactions with our staff.

We are ready to welcome you back,

United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights in a king bed room. Room cleanliness is the primary measure of quality for us, and this hotel was clean. The room, bed and bathroom were very clean despite this being a pet friendly hotel. Staff were polite and helpful. Location-wise, this hotel is on the opposite side of King Street from the majority of the restaurants and shops, but we certainly didn't mind the 10-15 minute walk to the waterfront. Overall, we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Hello CaAMmA,

I am glad the cleanliness of the hotel made you feel very comfortable, and that you found our staff to be friendly. In the other direction we are just two blocks to the King Street Metro station, and you can utilize the complimentary King Street trolley, especially if you are coming back from a big day of boutique shopping.

We look forward to your next visit,

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Located in the heart of Old Town on King Street, this hotel is a great place to stay for a romantic & relaxing weekend getaway. The complimentary wine hour was nice and the customer service was great! I would definitely recommend joining their InTouch Rewards program - it's free to join and you to get access to free Wi-Fi (otherwise there's a fee) and a mini bar credit voucher. The hotel room itself is clean and comfortable however, unless you're taking advantage of the spa services the rooms are a little pricey and there are several other lower price options in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Hello JenniferM1717,

I am glad you chose to stay with us for your romantic weekend and enjoyed the accommodating service provided by your staff as well as our evening wine reception. Thank you for being a loyal Kimpton InTouch member.

We hope to see you again soon,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!