“Great location!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Located in the heart of Old Town on King Street, this hotel is a great place to stay for a romantic & relaxing weekend getaway. The complimentary wine hour was nice and the customer service was great! I would definitely recommend joining their InTouch Rewards program - it's free to join and you to get access to free Wi-Fi (otherwise there's a fee) and a mini bar credit voucher. The hotel room itself is clean and comfortable however, unless you're taking advantage of the spa services the rooms are a little pricey and there are several other lower price options in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Hello JenniferM1717,

I am glad you chose to stay with us for your romantic weekend and enjoyed the accommodating service provided by your staff as well as our evening wine reception. Thank you for being a loyal Kimpton InTouch member.

We hope to see you again soon,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

A nice boutique option in very close proximity to the Metro. We arrived near midnight and the front desk crew were very helpful offering dinner suggestions. Rooms were on the small side but we liked the big bathrooms and the large shower.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi traveltoujours,

It’s nice to note our location near the Metro worked out for you and that you found assistance from our staff with late night dining options. I am glad you enjoyed the size of the bathroom, which is consistent throughout the hotel. We certainly offer some larger guest rooms and suites at other price points.

We look forward to your next visit,

Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night in August 2013. The hotel is in a great location – within two or three blocks of the King Street Metro Station. There are countless restaurants, bars, and shopping in the area as well. The waterfront area is probably a little less than a mile from the hotel, and there’s a free Trolley that runs along King Street that will provide you with direct access if you don’t feel like walking.

The hotel is a modern boutique-style hotel. The rooms were nicely decorated and furnished, and very well maintained. The bathroom was nice and large; however, as others have mentioned, the bathroom door offers absolutely NO privacy. The door is a frosted sliding door that does not seal/close all the way. Therefore, you can see through the cracks and you can hear EVERYTHING. If you’re staying by yourself, this is not such a huge deal, but if you’re staying with others, I’m sure you’d want to use the restroom without someone hearing your every move. Definitely not the best design.

We found the staff very accommodating, helpful, and friendly, and we enjoyed the evening happy hour in the lobby. Wi-Fi is not free, but if you’re a Kimpton In-Touch member, you will receive free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel.

“Like” their Facebook page as they occasionally post deals and perks. For example, during the month of August if you said the “secret word” (which was posted on their Facebook page) you would get a few extras! It was definitely a nice surprise!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Hello QTPyePop,

I am pleased you enjoyed the modern décor and design of the hotel; sorry if we got a little carried away with the bathroom door. It appears you made your way around Old Town, whether by enjoying the walk or hopping on the trolley. I hope you have the opportunity to join us for a longer stay in the future so you can try our wonderful BRABO restaurant.

See you soon,

Winchester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have always been a Kimpton fan and do DC business trips several times each year. Kimpton's got some great hotels in DC proper (Palomar, Madera, Monaco) but I am a New Englander and like my quaint so decided to stay in Alexandria, only a few stops south of DCA. Lorien is 2-3 blocks from the King St metro stop, and a 15-20 min walk down to the riverfront in old town alexandria. Perfect location. The staff there is super; I've stayed twice and got the same room both times because I noted when I left the first time how much I liked it. The lobby is small but very cool (indoor and outdoor seating) and they have a great courtyard in the front of the hotel which supreses the King Street noise. I never heard anything at night even though my room was on the 2nd floor and faced the street. The restaurant downstairs is fabulous - they have a more formal dining room and an experimental kitchen (Brabo Room), which was informal and excellent. My only complaint is they were supposed to have wifi and I needed to get some work done and couldn't get on.
This is a very comfortable hotel. The rooms are a little small but I don't spend time sitting in the room so I don't mind. If you like old hotels with beautiful architecture, great staff, clean rooms and friendly people stay here.

Green Features: This is an environmentally friendly hotel chain. They are platinum level, which is good.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Hello heyarl1,

I am glad you were able to make the most of our location near the Metro and within walking distance of all the shops and restaurants. I was pleased to note you found our staff to be accommodating and enjoyed our dining options. I am sorry about the Wi-Fi issues in the Tasting Room; I will have that checked out.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Great Boutique hotel in Old Alexandria. Spent two days and found the staff very accommodating. It was our anniversary and they surprised us with a bottle of wine and strawberries witch was totally unexpected. First class from the time you check in to your departure. Highly recommend

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hi allygirl8,

I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay and anniversary surprise. We hope to see you again before your next anniversary!

Cordially,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

The good things:

1. Downtown Alexandria (Old Town) location
2. Friendly staff / very responsive service
3. Character, style and decor - not like a regular chain, but not gimmicky either. Calm and stylish
4. Gym is not bad compared to other hotel gyms
5. Daily happy hour wine tasting from 5-6pm
6. Brabo restaurant
7. Valet parking - efficient, easy and friendly service (and we had a special offer which meant it was included in the rate)
8. Fast, free wifi if you join the in-touch loyalty programme (instant & free to join)

The bad things:

Not many faults to speak of

1. Maid service - cups and glasses were never washed
2. Calls and mini-bar prices are high

Overall for the money we paid ($150 per night) this hotel offered exceptional value for money so it gets 5/5. At a higher rate this would be a 4/5.

Room Tip: We were concerned about the size of the deluxe rooms from other reviewers but it was fine - no need...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Hello hotelfussy,

I am glad you liked the décor of the hotel, enjoyed our amenities such as BRABO and our complimentary wine tasting, and found our staff to be accommodating to your needs. I am sorry about the oversight in regards to your cups and glasses; which has been reviewed with our Housekeeping team.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

The Lorien was a nice hotel. It has a very clean look. We stayed in one of the suites. It was very spacious.The beds are nice and plush. I liked the view of their courtyard.
The bathrooms are huge and have nice tubs if you are a bath person. I did find it interesting that the bathroom door is frosted glass. Our door faced the sofa so you could see the persons image when they used the bathroom. There was no computer in the room if that is still offered. I didn't need one so I never inquired. The front clerk was very friendly. My only complaint was the valet service. There was never anyone out front and no parking to pull over by the entrance. We finally found parking and did not use the valet service. Overall it was a lovely hotel that I would return to.

• Stayed August 2013
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Hi pepmo17,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our Lorien Suites with the classic claw foot tub. We no longer offer in-room computers, as they were removed from the guest rooms earlier this year. I am sorry our valet team members were not present when you arrived and that our guest vehicle zone was full at the time.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!