“Stop looking....book it!!!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Stop looking....book it!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights while visiting D.C. area and all I can say is WOW! The rooms were very bright, the bathroom large, beds super comfortable and everything was spotless ! I am very particular when it comes to the cleanliness of hotels my family and I visit, and the Lorien exceeded my expectations! The staff is very friendly and attentive, the valet parking quick and convenient. Another surprise was the fantastic location right on King St. which is a trendy street with restaurants, antique shops and boutique stores. I would absolutely stay again whenever I am in the area!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Hi MariaGr63,

I am glad the cleanliness of our guest room was in line with your high expectations, and that you liked the décor of the room. King Street is certainly the hub of activity in Old Town, and the Lorien is just two blocks from the Metro station which can take you to DC.

We hope you will come back to the area soon,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This hotel is in a great location in Alexandria. The staff was friendly and helpful. There was always someone to help you with a question or request. In the morning there is coffee in the lobby and in the afternoon a wine reception. The room was a corner room, very clean, quiet and comfortable. There is an attached restaurant, but the breakfast is quite expensive. We bought food for the morning at a nearby Whole Foods and used the refrigerator to store it. I wish the refrigerator had had more room for our personal items. It was overstocked with items to purchase. On site parking is handled by valet, necessary, but expensive. We would definitely stay there again. It is especially great for couples or business.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Insatiable891,

I was pleased to note you received wonderful service from our hotel staff and that you enjoyed our morning coffee and evening wine reception. The mini-bar refrigerator is fully stocked with items that can purchased in the convenience of your room, but if you require space for the storage of personal items, we can certainly remove the contents of the mini-bar.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

1) Amazing service by everyone in the hotel. I was celebrating my birthday that weekend to which the staff put together a birthday gift bag waiting in my room. The front desk was among the best experiences I've ever had in a hotel reception.

2) This diplomat suite... Where to even begin? There is a terrace as large as most apartments in DC, if not larger, offering spectacular views of Alexandria and memorable sunsets. The furniture out there is comfortable and due to a wedding happening at the presidential suite we had double the furniture. This accommodated about 9 people sitting outdoors comfortably. We had our own wet bar outside for the terrace. Ice maker, mini fridge, and a sink made prepping for guests and making sangria a breeze.

Inside the bed was amazing and made leaving incredibly difficult. The suite sitting area was spacious and modern. The concrete desk was too cool. Onto the amazing bathroom with an extremely oversized shower with a bench. That was a long shower... sorry about the water bill?

3) Its location is perfect for those who want to metro into the city, but prefer the more relaxed environment of old town. Being on King Street there are no shortages of restaurants and shops to keep you busy. Don't miss the torpedo factory art gallery at the end (take the free trolly if you must).

Needless to stay I've already booked a stay cation there next month where I'll be checking out the spa. Another friend stayed there and hasn't stopped raving about it since. Thanks Lorien!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Hello nelson_via_dc,

I am thrilled you felt you received such regal treatment while staying with us recently. I am glad you enjoyed your birthday surprise, as well as the layout of the suite and the huge terrace. It appears you made the most of our location in Old Town and enjoyed window shopping and maybe restaurant hopping along King Street.

We look forward to welcoming you back next month,

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed here to attend business meetings in June 2013. Truly a great property. Very friendly and professional staff, attentive to all needs, including the need for transportation, a spare umbrella, etc. Rooms are huge and the bathrooms even larger! I couldn't beleive how much space I had. Very well appointed with comfortable workstations and flat screen TV's. The gym is very nice and the restaurant attached to the property is very good. I look forward to staying here again soon!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Hi Saiklo,

I am glad you enjoyed the size and décor of your guest room, and that you were able to enjoy our restaurant BRABO and make use of our fitness center. I am pleased you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating to your needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

i took my mom here for Mother's Day...we had a wonderful time and the hotel was great! the only thing lacking was drawer space! we had a huge closet but no drawers for underwear,etc...kind of weird, but we got over it!

Room Tip: we stayed in a terrace suite and it was well worth it!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Hi Diana G,

That was very sweet of you to bring your mom to the Lorien for Mother’s Day; I hope you had the chance to check out the Spa, and perhaps BRABO too. Although our guest rooms are not outfitted with a formal dresser, there are several drawers located under the desk top that serve this purpose.

We look forward to your next visit,

Eugene, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My daughter (nearly 16) and I stayed here five nights in July. I was going to a conference in Crystal City and took my daughter so she could explore DC. I picked the Lorien for the proximity to the Metro, to be in Alexandria's Old Town (recommended by many familiar with the area), and the reviews here. We were not disappointed. We slept through thunderstorms (actually disappointed to miss it because we don't get many). We slept great every night.

Our reservation included a free continental breakfast in the attached restaurant. We went twice out of 5 days. the 45 minute experience to get a fruit plate, coffee, juice and toast, and staff seemed to think we should want to pay for a different breakfast (but eating out every meal, a light breakfast was perfect). This was my least favorite thing. I don't think a 'free breakfast' in the attached restaurant is a good thing. Freebies get 2nd class treatment. It was offered and I took it knowing I wouldn't use it.

I loved the staff here at the hotel. My requests for directions, dining recommendations and boarding passes were catered to with enthusiasm. I try to ask for stuff when they are not being over run with other duties. Showtime Shane saved my bacon more than once. I didn't need valet services, but they were always cheery and offered greetings.

My daughter wasn't impressed with the water pressure. It worked for me and she's not even 16. She complains about the water pressure here.

I am not a fan of mini bars and didn't use it. I did co-opt the fridge to chill some of my beer.

I would have liked a fridge of my own without mini-bar options.

My finale: Great location near the Metro, Dunkin Donuts and other amazing places. Quiet at night, comfortable beds, great staff. I would absolutely stay here again (if I had to endure mid-Atlantic humidity again).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hello RandyEugene,

Sorry the beds were too comfortable; we all have our faults. Please accept my apologies for our breakfast service not being as quick as you would have liked. I was pleased to note our staff, and especially Shane, provided you and your daughter with directions and recommendations throughout your visit. I am glad you made use of the Metro and nearby shops and restaurants.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back,

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I usually travel on business and get use to the ho-humm business hotel. This trip was personal and happy to report that the folks at the Lorien Hotel did an outstanding job. From a simple thing like paying attention to our request for a blanket on our bed, rather than the comforter, it was done and there when we got into the room, to the thoughtful woman at the front desk, telling us we had missed the wine tasting hours, but then offering to personally getting us glasses of wine, this hotel does thing right! Great stay, Great Hotel, Good Staff, perfert!

Many great places to eat not far away,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi HeadsUp737,

I appreciate you choosing the Lorien for your leisure visit, and giving us the opportunity to provide you with anything but a ho-humm experience. I am glad you enjoyed such personalized services as the properly made up bed, as well as glasses of wine after the lobby reception concluded.

See you soon,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!