“Unexpected Gem” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, Illinois
“Unexpected Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed here to attend business meetings in June 2013. Truly a great property. Very friendly and professional staff, attentive to all needs, including the need for transportation, a spare umbrella, etc. Rooms are huge and the bathrooms even larger! I couldn't beleive how much space I had. Very well appointed with comfortable workstations and flat screen TV's. The gym is very nice and the restaurant attached to the property is very good. I look forward to staying here again soon!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Hi Saiklo,

I am glad you enjoyed the size and décor of your guest room, and that you were able to enjoy our restaurant BRABO and make use of our fitness center. I am pleased you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating to your needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

i took my mom here for Mother's Day...we had a wonderful time and the hotel was great! the only thing lacking was drawer space! we had a huge closet but no drawers for underwear,etc...kind of weird, but we got over it!

Room Tip: we stayed in a terrace suite and it was well worth it!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Hi Diana G,

That was very sweet of you to bring your mom to the Lorien for Mother’s Day; I hope you had the chance to check out the Spa, and perhaps BRABO too. Although our guest rooms are not outfitted with a formal dresser, there are several drawers located under the desk top that serve this purpose.

We look forward to your next visit,

Eugene, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My daughter (nearly 16) and I stayed here five nights in July. I was going to a conference in Crystal City and took my daughter so she could explore DC. I picked the Lorien for the proximity to the Metro, to be in Alexandria's Old Town (recommended by many familiar with the area), and the reviews here. We were not disappointed. We slept through thunderstorms (actually disappointed to miss it because we don't get many). We slept great every night.

Our reservation included a free continental breakfast in the attached restaurant. We went twice out of 5 days. the 45 minute experience to get a fruit plate, coffee, juice and toast, and staff seemed to think we should want to pay for a different breakfast (but eating out every meal, a light breakfast was perfect). This was my least favorite thing. I don't think a 'free breakfast' in the attached restaurant is a good thing. Freebies get 2nd class treatment. It was offered and I took it knowing I wouldn't use it.

I loved the staff here at the hotel. My requests for directions, dining recommendations and boarding passes were catered to with enthusiasm. I try to ask for stuff when they are not being over run with other duties. Showtime Shane saved my bacon more than once. I didn't need valet services, but they were always cheery and offered greetings.

My daughter wasn't impressed with the water pressure. It worked for me and she's not even 16. She complains about the water pressure here.

I am not a fan of mini bars and didn't use it. I did co-opt the fridge to chill some of my beer.

I would have liked a fridge of my own without mini-bar options.

My finale: Great location near the Metro, Dunkin Donuts and other amazing places. Quiet at night, comfortable beds, great staff. I would absolutely stay here again (if I had to endure mid-Atlantic humidity again).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hello RandyEugene,

Sorry the beds were too comfortable; we all have our faults. Please accept my apologies for our breakfast service not being as quick as you would have liked. I was pleased to note our staff, and especially Shane, provided you and your daughter with directions and recommendations throughout your visit. I am glad you made use of the Metro and nearby shops and restaurants.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back,

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I usually travel on business and get use to the ho-humm business hotel. This trip was personal and happy to report that the folks at the Lorien Hotel did an outstanding job. From a simple thing like paying attention to our request for a blanket on our bed, rather than the comforter, it was done and there when we got into the room, to the thoughtful woman at the front desk, telling us we had missed the wine tasting hours, but then offering to personally getting us glasses of wine, this hotel does thing right! Great stay, Great Hotel, Good Staff, perfert!

Many great places to eat not far away,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi HeadsUp737,

I appreciate you choosing the Lorien for your leisure visit, and giving us the opportunity to provide you with anything but a ho-humm experience. I am glad you enjoyed such personalized services as the properly made up bed, as well as glasses of wine after the lobby reception concluded.

See you soon,

Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The Lorien Hotel and Spa was amazing. The customer service was second to none we have ever experienced. Everyone from the people who parked our car to the person who poured us wine during the complimentary wine hour was friendly and helpful. The modern decor has a warm touch. It felt like home, only a home we dream of having. The bathroom was so luxurious. We got the deal that included breakfast, which was delicious. We can't say enough about how great this place is. Although we didn't bring a pet, they are welcome. If you've never been to Old Town Alexandria, definitely go soon and stay at the Lorien. I've heard good things about the other Kimpton Hotels in DC and Alexandria as well.

Room Tip: We highly recommend the room with the bath tub. It's an incredible claw foot tub, and the showe...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello KatBaltimoreMD,

I was pleased to note you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us ranging from your positive interactions with our staff to the hotel décor. I am glad you enjoyed your BRABO breakfast that was included in your room package.

We hope to see you again soon,

Riverton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

While I could wax poetic about the cleanliness of my room, its layout, and the location of this hotel, it is the staff that made my stay above excellent. From the woman who maintained my room to the valet parking attendants, the staff was unfailingly bright, cheerful, polite and responsive. Every single employee I encountered, and you never had to search for a human to help you, was friendly, warm, engaging, and seemed eager to be of assistance. Excellent experience; exceptional stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hello MarPaull,

I was thrilled to share your feedback with our team. I am glad our staff bubbled up to become the reason for your exceptional experience.

We look forward to your next visit,

sarasota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

maybe too modern for regular folks in the food and coffee dept, but great location, great facility, great renovation, great fireplace, great lobby nice patio, parking tricky but possible, stylish, great elevator

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hi m v,

Thank you for all the “greats”; we certainly appreciate it. We have three food and beverage concepts, which offer a variety of cuisine. I hope next time you will find something more to your liking.

See you soon,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!