“This Lorien Took Care of Everything” 5 of 5 stars

Sweet Suite Deal
Ranked #2 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“This Lorien Took Care of Everything”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at the Lorien over July 4th weekend with my boyfriend. We were celebrating our anniversary and an early birthday for me so we escaped NYC to VA for a weekend getaway. After two days at the Monaco we decided to check out the Lorien to get a feel for a different kind of Kimpton property. The Lorien is definitely a different vibe from the Monaco. The Monaco is fun and qwirky with bold colors and patterns. The Lorien is serene and tranquil with a color pallet to match.

After sitting in some traffic on King Street to get to the Lorien (perhaps a little Old Town Friday rush hour) it was a welcome site when the Mr. Take it Easy was there to help us with our bags to our room. Mr Nice Guy checked us in and informed us we had been upgraded to a spa room with a rain shower. Mr. Take it Easy helped us with our bags. The room was really nice and it overlooked the courtyard with a bunch of windows which was really nice. The bathroom was overly large with a rain shower head. The only thing the room was lacking was a tub. Normally I wouldn't mind the lack of a tub but I had a freak foot injury my foot at the Monaco so I was hoping to soak it in there.

My boyfriend was nice enough to go down and talk to the front desk about possibly getting a room with a tub Johnny the Greek (I love these name tags BTW) was nice enough to help us out. We weren't able to switch to a room with a tub for that night but were able to the next day. The transition was easy as we just left our bags in the room and the hotel took care of everything. The suite was an even nicer room with a tub and a littler veranda that overlooked the courtyard,

We had dinner one night in the BRABO Tasting Room which was delicious and a dessert in BRABO with a Birthday Certificate I had received which was also good. The only hiccup I had during my stay was that I didn't receive my birthday girl from The Butcher's Block but once I was brought up at the hotel I got it to take home with me on check out.

I would highly recommend the Lorien Hotel and Spa is you are looking for a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Hello JodyKitcher,

First, I hope your foot is feeling better. I am glad John was able to get you changed to a room with a claw foot tub. Congratulations on your anniversary and upcoming birthday. I am sorry you were not provided with your birthday gift from the Butcher’s Block when you checked-in, but did receive it upon check-out so you could celebrate at home.

We look forward to your next visit,

837 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at the Lorien for our trip to DC over the July 4th weekend in 2013. The hotel is in a nice location in Alexandria, near a lot of shopping, restaurants/bars and the waterfront (2 miles) in Alexandria and 2 blocks from a Metro station to get anywhere in the DC area. The room was very nice sized and clean, with a modern design. The hotel staff was very nice, helpful and professional. The only thing I would like to change is the daily valet parking rate ($29). Overall, we recommend this hotel, we rarely give hotels 5 stars and this is one of the few.

If you're thinking of this hotel for a trip to DC, keep in mind the commute to the national mall, white house, etc. is a little far (7 miles or so) so plan on subway fares or a lot of driving.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Todd B,

Thank you for your feedback about our staff and favorable location. Metro is definitely the way to go if you are heading up to DC to see the sights, or on business.

We hope to see you again soon,

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I love all Kimpton Hotels so when we decided to take the kids to Mt. Vernon I was excited that we had 2 Kimpton Hotels to choose from then stressed between choosing between Hotel Monaco and Lorien Hotel. In the end we stayed at the Lorien because the close proximity to the Metro Station. What a great choice I made!!! From the minute we arrived the service was amazing. The guys who valeted our car to carrying our bags to the guys at the front desk they all make you feel like you are a VIP. We upgraded to the Diplomat suite (room 619) and it was amazing. We had a huge terrace with 2 outdoor sofas and 2 chairs from Restoration Hardware. Also there was a wet bar with an ice machine, sink and refrigerator in a separate room off the terrace. Though not much of a view it was great area to hang out. My daughter and I actually slept outside on the sofas. It was amazing! The suite inside had a living room with a sofa bed , 2 chairs and a large flat screen tv. The bed room had the most comfortable king size bed. And the bathroom was so cool! huge shower with 2 shower heads (one a rain shower head from the ceiling). Check out was so quick and easy. By the time I got back to our room the "bell hop" was already there getting out luggage and our car was in front waiting for us! I loved the Lorien and can't wait to stay there again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Hello Hydeparkmom,

I am thrilled you and your daughter had your own little camp out on the terrace of your suite, and that you received excellent service from our Bell/Valet and Front Desk team members. I am glad you enjoyed your suite accommodations and our proximity to the Metro station. Your hotel choice may have been even more difficult if you knew of our third Kimpton Hotel in Alexandria, The Morrison House, which is just one block off of King Street.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Twin Falls, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had some unexpected down time while traveling, stayed at the Lorien for two nights. I upgraded my room and the cavernous bathroom was so much fun!!! I had a tiny deck just above the courtyard, which was cool. It was great having all the newspapers RIGHT THERE and the staff were SO helpful. Great location. Both restaurant sites were top notch.

Room Tip: This room didn't have a door between the bathroom and the living room, so it's not for every...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Hello Jannel43,

That’s awesome that you had some time to relax and especially in one of our upgraded suite bathrooms. I am glad you enjoyed your terrace with courtyard view, as well as our location near the Metro, and accommodating staff.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

DC area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was absolutely impressed with this hotel and spa. Massage was fantastic and professional. Dining was scrumptious (breakfast)! Room was beautiful, clean, and quiet. Location was perfect. Staff was prompt and friendly. Room service was also prompt and attentive. Hank's restaurant nearby was great for lobster roll and oysters - smart casual dress. Seriously can't believe we never stayed here before - night away with husband away from kids - will be back more often!!

Room Tip: Not great for babies.. were some well behaved older children - but is a quieter resort… we saw lots...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Hi Elisa G,

Thanks for choosing us for your mini-staycation with your husband. It appears you did it all, from a relaxing massage at our spa, to a delightful breakfast at BRABO. We’ll be here for you when you need to recharge the batteries again.

Cordially,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Lorien Hotel is an absolutely wonderful place to stay while visiting Alexandria and DC. The staff are so friendly, helpful and professional. The room was gorgeous - modern in design and immaculately clean. We didn't want to leave!

The front desk (in particular, Sean) were genuinely interested in making sure our stay in the area was a success. They made suggestions about where to eat and engaged in conversations with us on our experiences at the various museums and monuments. I also want to mention that the car valet service was fantastic - the guys were so nice!

I have no doubt that I'll be staying at the Lorien again. I loved it, and I'm confident that others will enjoy their stay as well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hello Andrea M,

I was so pleased you found our staff to be very accommodating, while being so friendly, especially Shane at the Front Desk and our Valet team. I am glad you enjoyed the modern décor of the hotel and how clean it was.

We look forward to your next visit,

Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was my first experience at a Kimpton hotel but won't be my last. My sister-in-law is a loyal Kimpton patron and I can see why. The hotel is wonderful and the service is excellent. Their loyalty program is amazing and definitely inspires me to always check for a Kimpton first.

We were upgraded to a lovely suite that had an amazing terrace. We enjoyed wine and free drinks on a great evening. We had drinks and mussels at the tasting bar next door - and again the service was just great. We had all forgotten a couple of items - toothpaste etc and they happily provided what we needed at no charge. The room was huge - the shower amazing!

The location is terrific - able to just walk up King Street to all the shops and restaurants in the area. Alexandria itself is a great spot. There was a farmer's market on Saturday morning - lots of fresh fruit and vegetables as well as art and other items for sale.

Alexandria is a great spot for part of a weekend in the DC area. I'll be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi travelgirl201077,

We are honored to have been your first Kimpton experience, and happy to note there will be more of them in future. I am glad you enjoyed our evening wine reception and then went on to dine at our BRABO Tasting Room. Our location is certainly ideal for walking along King Street to window shop, or to head just two blocks to the Metro station, which will take you up to DC.

We look forward to your return,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!