“What a great stay!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Twin Falls, Idaho
“What a great stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had some unexpected down time while traveling, stayed at the Lorien for two nights. I upgraded my room and the cavernous bathroom was so much fun!!! I had a tiny deck just above the courtyard, which was cool. It was great having all the newspapers RIGHT THERE and the staff were SO helpful. Great location. Both restaurant sites were top notch.

Room Tip: This room didn't have a door between the bathroom and the living room, so it's not for every...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Hello Jannel43,

That’s awesome that you had some time to relax and especially in one of our upgraded suite bathrooms. I am glad you enjoyed your terrace with courtyard view, as well as our location near the Metro, and accommodating staff.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
DC area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was absolutely impressed with this hotel and spa. Massage was fantastic and professional. Dining was scrumptious (breakfast)! Room was beautiful, clean, and quiet. Location was perfect. Staff was prompt and friendly. Room service was also prompt and attentive. Hank's restaurant nearby was great for lobster roll and oysters - smart casual dress. Seriously can't believe we never stayed here before - night away with husband away from kids - will be back more often!!

Room Tip: Not great for babies.. were some well behaved older children - but is a quieter resort… we saw lots...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Hi Elisa G,

Thanks for choosing us for your mini-staycation with your husband. It appears you did it all, from a relaxing massage at our spa, to a delightful breakfast at BRABO. We’ll be here for you when you need to recharge the batteries again.

Cordially,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Lorien Hotel is an absolutely wonderful place to stay while visiting Alexandria and DC. The staff are so friendly, helpful and professional. The room was gorgeous - modern in design and immaculately clean. We didn't want to leave!

The front desk (in particular, Sean) were genuinely interested in making sure our stay in the area was a success. They made suggestions about where to eat and engaged in conversations with us on our experiences at the various museums and monuments. I also want to mention that the car valet service was fantastic - the guys were so nice!

I have no doubt that I'll be staying at the Lorien again. I loved it, and I'm confident that others will enjoy their stay as well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hello Andrea M,

I was so pleased you found our staff to be very accommodating, while being so friendly, especially Shane at the Front Desk and our Valet team. I am glad you enjoyed the modern décor of the hotel and how clean it was.

We look forward to your next visit,

Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was my first experience at a Kimpton hotel but won't be my last. My sister-in-law is a loyal Kimpton patron and I can see why. The hotel is wonderful and the service is excellent. Their loyalty program is amazing and definitely inspires me to always check for a Kimpton first.

We were upgraded to a lovely suite that had an amazing terrace. We enjoyed wine and free drinks on a great evening. We had drinks and mussels at the tasting bar next door - and again the service was just great. We had all forgotten a couple of items - toothpaste etc and they happily provided what we needed at no charge. The room was huge - the shower amazing!

The location is terrific - able to just walk up King Street to all the shops and restaurants in the area. Alexandria itself is a great spot. There was a farmer's market on Saturday morning - lots of fresh fruit and vegetables as well as art and other items for sale.

Alexandria is a great spot for part of a weekend in the DC area. I'll be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi travelgirl201077,

We are honored to have been your first Kimpton experience, and happy to note there will be more of them in future. I am glad you enjoyed our evening wine reception and then went on to dine at our BRABO Tasting Room. Our location is certainly ideal for walking along King Street to window shop, or to head just two blocks to the Metro station, which will take you up to DC.

We look forward to your return,

The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

A mixed bag of positives and negatives at this property. The rooms are average; clean, comfortable, small with little closet and drawer space. The bathroom is modern and stylish; therefore, it is not user friendly. Water gets everywhere and there is no privacy--basically a sliding opaque glass door separates the bathroom from the room. The food is good but very expensive--go across the street for breakfast. No garage. Street parking is tough during the day, because all of the meters are two-hours max. Valet parking is available, but again expensive. Thankfully at night, parking on the street is free. Staff is friendly and prompt. An ok property, but I stayed at better places nearby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear TLCJJB,

I am glad you enjoyed your clean and comfortable guest room, and I appreciate your feedback on the modern look and feel of some of our bathroom elements. We have two dining options, BRABO and the BRABO Tasting Room, which offer you exceptional meals at different price points. As you indicated we only offer valet parking, but you may be able to locate street parking.

We await your next visit,

Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I and five girlfriends celebrated all our birthdays during a Memorial weekend stay at the Lorien. From the moment we checked-in we received exceptional service. Showtime, the front desk clerk, was a wealth of information from the moment we arrived. Our checkin was smooth and our rooms gorgeous! We each had a treatment at the day spa that was beautifully decorated. I and my girlfriends enjoyed our treatments. I want to mention Mr. Nice Guy and David (he hadn't received a nickname yet) for their excellent customer service. Every question we had was met with a smile and we received great food recommendations.

We had excellent wifi connection and each room has an iPhone docking station. If you have the newer iPhone you can request an adapter from the front desk.

I'm already making plans to return with my husband for a stay.

(The only negative was the frosted glass pocket door for the bathrooms. That took some getting used to. It's an exterior pocket door so it's never really "closed."

Room Tip: You can request a non-pet floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hello EowynTravels,

I am so pleased you and your girlfriends had a wonderful experience during your weekend visit, especially based on the wonderful service you received from Showtime (Shane), Mr. Nice Guy (Brandon) and David. I am glad you enjoyed the décor of your guest rooms and the spa treatments as well. The modern aspect of the hotel design certainly transitioned to our bathroom doors.

We look forward to welcoming you and your husband soon,

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We are locals who did an overnight spa stay. Would do it again in a heartbeat! We were celebrating a few things (noted on my reservation) so the hotel brought champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to our room- so thoughtful! We were on the 2nd floor and our room had a little balcony that overlooked the courtyard.
The spa was wonderful. I had been there once before. Very friendly staff and super relaxing. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear NKW79,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your special occasions with us. I am glad you were delighted by the amenity, and that you enjoyed your spa treatments.

We look forward to taking care of you again in the future,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!