“Excellent Hotel and Location” 5 of 5 stars

Upgrade Your Stay
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Buffalo, New York
“Excellent Hotel and Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was my first experience at a Kimpton hotel but won't be my last. My sister-in-law is a loyal Kimpton patron and I can see why. The hotel is wonderful and the service is excellent. Their loyalty program is amazing and definitely inspires me to always check for a Kimpton first.

We were upgraded to a lovely suite that had an amazing terrace. We enjoyed wine and free drinks on a great evening. We had drinks and mussels at the tasting bar next door - and again the service was just great. We had all forgotten a couple of items - toothpaste etc and they happily provided what we needed at no charge. The room was huge - the shower amazing!

The location is terrific - able to just walk up King Street to all the shops and restaurants in the area. Alexandria itself is a great spot. There was a farmer's market on Saturday morning - lots of fresh fruit and vegetables as well as art and other items for sale.

Alexandria is a great spot for part of a weekend in the DC area. I'll be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi travelgirl201077,

We are honored to have been your first Kimpton experience, and happy to note there will be more of them in future. I am glad you enjoyed our evening wine reception and then went on to dine at our BRABO Tasting Room. Our location is certainly ideal for walking along King Street to window shop, or to head just two blocks to the Metro station, which will take you up to DC.

We look forward to your return,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

A mixed bag of positives and negatives at this property. The rooms are average; clean, comfortable, small with little closet and drawer space. The bathroom is modern and stylish; therefore, it is not user friendly. Water gets everywhere and there is no privacy--basically a sliding opaque glass door separates the bathroom from the room. The food is good but very expensive--go across the street for breakfast. No garage. Street parking is tough during the day, because all of the meters are two-hours max. Valet parking is available, but again expensive. Thankfully at night, parking on the street is free. Staff is friendly and prompt. An ok property, but I stayed at better places nearby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear TLCJJB,

I am glad you enjoyed your clean and comfortable guest room, and I appreciate your feedback on the modern look and feel of some of our bathroom elements. We have two dining options, BRABO and the BRABO Tasting Room, which offer you exceptional meals at different price points. As you indicated we only offer valet parking, but you may be able to locate street parking.

We await your next visit,

Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I and five girlfriends celebrated all our birthdays during a Memorial weekend stay at the Lorien. From the moment we checked-in we received exceptional service. Showtime, the front desk clerk, was a wealth of information from the moment we arrived. Our checkin was smooth and our rooms gorgeous! We each had a treatment at the day spa that was beautifully decorated. I and my girlfriends enjoyed our treatments. I want to mention Mr. Nice Guy and David (he hadn't received a nickname yet) for their excellent customer service. Every question we had was met with a smile and we received great food recommendations.

We had excellent wifi connection and each room has an iPhone docking station. If you have the newer iPhone you can request an adapter from the front desk.

I'm already making plans to return with my husband for a stay.

(The only negative was the frosted glass pocket door for the bathrooms. That took some getting used to. It's an exterior pocket door so it's never really "closed."

Room Tip: You can request a non-pet floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hello EowynTravels,

I am so pleased you and your girlfriends had a wonderful experience during your weekend visit, especially based on the wonderful service you received from Showtime (Shane), Mr. Nice Guy (Brandon) and David. I am glad you enjoyed the décor of your guest rooms and the spa treatments as well. The modern aspect of the hotel design certainly transitioned to our bathroom doors.

We look forward to welcoming you and your husband soon,

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We are locals who did an overnight spa stay. Would do it again in a heartbeat! We were celebrating a few things (noted on my reservation) so the hotel brought champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to our room- so thoughtful! We were on the 2nd floor and our room had a little balcony that overlooked the courtyard.
The spa was wonderful. I had been there once before. Very friendly staff and super relaxing. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear NKW79,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your special occasions with us. I am glad you were delighted by the amenity, and that you enjoyed your spa treatments.

We look forward to taking care of you again in the future,

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Lovely hotel in the heart of Alexandria, walking distance to Metro. Our room was small but wonderful amenities and creative decor make up for the lack of space. We adore Kimpton hotels and stay at their properties whenever possible. Nightly happy hour is always a bonus!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Hello Ilene80111,

I was pleased to note you liked the location of the hotel in Alexandria as well as our amenities and overall design. We do have a variety of different sized guest rooms and suites to suit the needs of all our guests. We appreciate you seeking out Kimpton Hotels when you travel.

See you soon,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed for a long weekend break and found this hotel to be just excellent. The location is great, and our room was clean, modern and well appointed. The hotel employees are friendly and efficient and so helpful. We also loved the evening wine tasting, which was a thoughtful touch and very welcome. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: A room with a a view of the courtyard is recommended.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi KaVaughan,

Thanks for choosing us for your weekend getaway. I am glad you enjoyed our location on King Street near the Metro stop, as well as the cleanliness of the hotel and our décor. And who can forget the hosted evening wine reception?

We look forward to your next visit,

Lexington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Second time staying here. Easy check in and out. Lovely room.
Great location. Very close to Metro station on Kings street.
Great security for a single female traveler. The security guys again felt like my big brothers looking after me just like last time. Thank you guys!! This is why I love the Lorien - it is home from home.

Negative: There was a bottle of wine and cheese in my room when I arrived that unfortunately was there from the previous day. I asked at the front desk if it was for me and they said yes and then I stated it was from the previous day and the cheese did not look good. They were going to send me a new one and take away the old. Well I ended up taking the plate down to the front desk and after 2 days still did not received the welcome plate!

Overall, wonderful room lovely cocktail hour and tea and coffee in the morning.
I will definitely stay again on my return to DC due to the location.

Green Features: great environmental friendly ness Definitely decreasing our carbon footprint thank you
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Hi triotrois,

I am glad you felt safe as a female traveler with the presence of our staff, but I’m sorry we let the cheese plate scare you. Of course we should have removed the amenity prior to your arrival. I am glad you enjoyed your room and our amenities such our complimentary morning coffee and evening wine reception.

We look forward to your next trip to DC,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!