“Exceptional Girlfriends Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Annapolis, Maryland
“Exceptional Girlfriends Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I and five girlfriends celebrated all our birthdays during a Memorial weekend stay at the Lorien. From the moment we checked-in we received exceptional service. Showtime, the front desk clerk, was a wealth of information from the moment we arrived. Our checkin was smooth and our rooms gorgeous! We each had a treatment at the day spa that was beautifully decorated. I and my girlfriends enjoyed our treatments. I want to mention Mr. Nice Guy and David (he hadn't received a nickname yet) for their excellent customer service. Every question we had was met with a smile and we received great food recommendations.

We had excellent wifi connection and each room has an iPhone docking station. If you have the newer iPhone you can request an adapter from the front desk.

I'm already making plans to return with my husband for a stay.

(The only negative was the frosted glass pocket door for the bathrooms. That took some getting used to. It's an exterior pocket door so it's never really "closed."

Room Tip: You can request a non-pet floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hello EowynTravels,

I am so pleased you and your girlfriends had a wonderful experience during your weekend visit, especially based on the wonderful service you received from Showtime (Shane), Mr. Nice Guy (Brandon) and David. I am glad you enjoyed the décor of your guest rooms and the spa treatments as well. The modern aspect of the hotel design certainly transitioned to our bathroom doors.

We look forward to welcoming you and your husband soon,

854 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We are locals who did an overnight spa stay. Would do it again in a heartbeat! We were celebrating a few things (noted on my reservation) so the hotel brought champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to our room- so thoughtful! We were on the 2nd floor and our room had a little balcony that overlooked the courtyard.
The spa was wonderful. I had been there once before. Very friendly staff and super relaxing. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear NKW79,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your special occasions with us. I am glad you were delighted by the amenity, and that you enjoyed your spa treatments.

We look forward to taking care of you again in the future,

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Lovely hotel in the heart of Alexandria, walking distance to Metro. Our room was small but wonderful amenities and creative decor make up for the lack of space. We adore Kimpton hotels and stay at their properties whenever possible. Nightly happy hour is always a bonus!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Hello Ilene80111,

I was pleased to note you liked the location of the hotel in Alexandria as well as our amenities and overall design. We do have a variety of different sized guest rooms and suites to suit the needs of all our guests. We appreciate you seeking out Kimpton Hotels when you travel.

See you soon,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed for a long weekend break and found this hotel to be just excellent. The location is great, and our room was clean, modern and well appointed. The hotel employees are friendly and efficient and so helpful. We also loved the evening wine tasting, which was a thoughtful touch and very welcome. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: A room with a a view of the courtyard is recommended.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi KaVaughan,

Thanks for choosing us for your weekend getaway. I am glad you enjoyed our location on King Street near the Metro stop, as well as the cleanliness of the hotel and our décor. And who can forget the hosted evening wine reception?

We look forward to your next visit,

Lexington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Second time staying here. Easy check in and out. Lovely room.
Great location. Very close to Metro station on Kings street.
Great security for a single female traveler. The security guys again felt like my big brothers looking after me just like last time. Thank you guys!! This is why I love the Lorien - it is home from home.

Negative: There was a bottle of wine and cheese in my room when I arrived that unfortunately was there from the previous day. I asked at the front desk if it was for me and they said yes and then I stated it was from the previous day and the cheese did not look good. They were going to send me a new one and take away the old. Well I ended up taking the plate down to the front desk and after 2 days still did not received the welcome plate!

Overall, wonderful room lovely cocktail hour and tea and coffee in the morning.
I will definitely stay again on my return to DC due to the location.

Green Features: great environmental friendly ness Definitely decreasing our carbon footprint thank you
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Hi triotrois,

I am glad you felt safe as a female traveler with the presence of our staff, but I’m sorry we let the cheese plate scare you. Of course we should have removed the amenity prior to your arrival. I am glad you enjoyed your room and our amenities such our complimentary morning coffee and evening wine reception.

We look forward to your next trip to DC,

louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed here on the recommendation of two friends. It's a short walk from the King Street Metro, although if you have a large bag as I did the Old Town cobblestones will slow you down. The Lorien is one of three Kimpton properties in the immediate area. The Lorien has a courtyard where you can enjoy drinks or dinner in pleasant weather. They have a free wine event every night. The room was moderate in size but well furnished. I am not usually a fan of modern, sleek furniture, but I liked this. The bed was very comfortable and the hotel room was quiet. My room on the 5th floor overlooked a back parking lot, so the view was blah, but it was restful after a long day of tramping D.C. I had the continental breakfast two mornings. It consists of strong coffee, choice of juice, yogurt and sliced fruit and a choice of bread. I found it very filling. There's much to do and see right outside the door of the Lorien. There's a great shuttle that traverses King Street, and you can jump on and off as you wish. I used the car service provided by Lorien to return to the airport. Ask for Abe. All in all, a very nice hotel.

Green Features: I should add that the Lorien asks you to help with environmental practices. Hang up a towel if you don't want it replaced. They also had separate trash cans so paper and plastic can be separated from the trash. I liked that touch.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hello mac6,

Sorry about the historic looking cobblestone; it certainly looks nice, but makes for a bumpy ride. I was pleased to note you enjoyed the contemporary look and feel of your guest room, even though it’s not usually your cup of tea. I am glad you enjoyed your breakfasts in BRABO and enjoyed what Alexandria has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I had a great experience at the Lorien. I often stay by King St Metro, but couldn't get into either of my two usuals. I found the Lorien and was thrilled they had Government rate available. I joined the rewards program and got free Internet, plus a 10 dollar raid the minibar credit. They let me check in early, which I always appreciate. The staff was attentive and professional, rooms were very well appointed and I loved the wine and appetizers in the evening. It will definitely be my new go to when in town. It was a perfect stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hi SuzyQIndy,

I was thrilled you had the opportunity to try us out during your most recent visit to Old Town. As you know, we are only 2 blocks from the Metro; so still very convenient. Smart move joining up for our Kimpton InTouch loyalty program; there are many great benefits. I am glad you enjoyed our evening wine reception and that you received excellent service from our staff.

We hope to see you again soon,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!