“Beautiful Space and Location” 5 of 5 stars

Upgrade Your Stay
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Denver, Colorado
“Beautiful Space and Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Lovely hotel in the heart of Alexandria, walking distance to Metro. Our room was small but wonderful amenities and creative decor make up for the lack of space. We adore Kimpton hotels and stay at their properties whenever possible. Nightly happy hour is always a bonus!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Hello Ilene80111,

I was pleased to note you liked the location of the hotel in Alexandria as well as our amenities and overall design. We do have a variety of different sized guest rooms and suites to suit the needs of all our guests. We appreciate you seeking out Kimpton Hotels when you travel.

See you soon,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed for a long weekend break and found this hotel to be just excellent. The location is great, and our room was clean, modern and well appointed. The hotel employees are friendly and efficient and so helpful. We also loved the evening wine tasting, which was a thoughtful touch and very welcome. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: A room with a a view of the courtyard is recommended.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi KaVaughan,

Thanks for choosing us for your weekend getaway. I am glad you enjoyed our location on King Street near the Metro stop, as well as the cleanliness of the hotel and our décor. And who can forget the hosted evening wine reception?

We look forward to your next visit,

Lexington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Second time staying here. Easy check in and out. Lovely room.
Great location. Very close to Metro station on Kings street.
Great security for a single female traveler. The security guys again felt like my big brothers looking after me just like last time. Thank you guys!! This is why I love the Lorien - it is home from home.

Negative: There was a bottle of wine and cheese in my room when I arrived that unfortunately was there from the previous day. I asked at the front desk if it was for me and they said yes and then I stated it was from the previous day and the cheese did not look good. They were going to send me a new one and take away the old. Well I ended up taking the plate down to the front desk and after 2 days still did not received the welcome plate!

Overall, wonderful room lovely cocktail hour and tea and coffee in the morning.
I will definitely stay again on my return to DC due to the location.

Green Features: great environmental friendly ness Definitely decreasing our carbon footprint thank you
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Hi triotrois,

I am glad you felt safe as a female traveler with the presence of our staff, but I’m sorry we let the cheese plate scare you. Of course we should have removed the amenity prior to your arrival. I am glad you enjoyed your room and our amenities such our complimentary morning coffee and evening wine reception.

We look forward to your next trip to DC,

louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed here on the recommendation of two friends. It's a short walk from the King Street Metro, although if you have a large bag as I did the Old Town cobblestones will slow you down. The Lorien is one of three Kimpton properties in the immediate area. The Lorien has a courtyard where you can enjoy drinks or dinner in pleasant weather. They have a free wine event every night. The room was moderate in size but well furnished. I am not usually a fan of modern, sleek furniture, but I liked this. The bed was very comfortable and the hotel room was quiet. My room on the 5th floor overlooked a back parking lot, so the view was blah, but it was restful after a long day of tramping D.C. I had the continental breakfast two mornings. It consists of strong coffee, choice of juice, yogurt and sliced fruit and a choice of bread. I found it very filling. There's much to do and see right outside the door of the Lorien. There's a great shuttle that traverses King Street, and you can jump on and off as you wish. I used the car service provided by Lorien to return to the airport. Ask for Abe. All in all, a very nice hotel.

Green Features: I should add that the Lorien asks you to help with environmental practices. Hang up a towel if you don't want it replaced. They also had separate trash cans so paper and plastic can be separated from the trash. I liked that touch.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hello mac6,

Sorry about the historic looking cobblestone; it certainly looks nice, but makes for a bumpy ride. I was pleased to note you enjoyed the contemporary look and feel of your guest room, even though it’s not usually your cup of tea. I am glad you enjoyed your breakfasts in BRABO and enjoyed what Alexandria has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I had a great experience at the Lorien. I often stay by King St Metro, but couldn't get into either of my two usuals. I found the Lorien and was thrilled they had Government rate available. I joined the rewards program and got free Internet, plus a 10 dollar raid the minibar credit. They let me check in early, which I always appreciate. The staff was attentive and professional, rooms were very well appointed and I loved the wine and appetizers in the evening. It will definitely be my new go to when in town. It was a perfect stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hi SuzyQIndy,

I was thrilled you had the opportunity to try us out during your most recent visit to Old Town. As you know, we are only 2 blocks from the Metro; so still very convenient. Smart move joining up for our Kimpton InTouch loyalty program; there are many great benefits. I am glad you enjoyed our evening wine reception and that you received excellent service from our staff.

We hope to see you again soon,

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

It would easy to mistake the Lorien as just another property in Alexandria, VA. But looks can be deceiving.

Located on busy King Street, from the street the Lorien belies what is in store once you enter the property. The pleasant courtyard with people sipping wine from the free afternoon happy hour suggests a pleasant vibe. The front desk manned by Shane and company are professional, funny,and helpful to a fault. The sitting area off the front desk is warm and inviting with another courtyard and fireplace (a must in spring and fall).

Though the meeting rooms tend to be on the smaller side, the property is wonderful for a small gathering (we hold our Board meetings there without incident). However, the sleeping rooms are the real treat. Combining modern with functional chic and painted in a cool blue/grey, the first sensation one gets is peace.

The bathroom in my room had a large tub with open concrete shower that was fun and functional. Caution: make sure you have firm footing in and out of the shower as slips may be inevitable. As an occasional guest they give me the same room type which helps with familiarity and expectations, though I would bet that all live up to that level of quality.

In saving the best for last, if have time make a spa reservation. Voted among the top spas in the country by Conde Nast, one can see why. The masseuses are top notch, the facilities are clean and serene, and the prices are not too outrageous.

Next time visit old town, make this a destination particularly in the summer when the rates inversely drop as temperatures rise.

Room Tip: Rooms looking away from King are quieter but lack a view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hello michael_dimaggio25,

I was pleased to note you got a good vibe for the hotel upon entering our lovely courtyard, and then received a warm reception from Shane at the registration desk. I am glad your Board meeting was successful and that you like to end your day in your relaxing guest room, or perhaps with a spa appointment.

I look forward to your next visit,

Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Spent three nights here and hosted a meeting here, it was a great stay. From check in to check out everything went smoothly and the staff was very accommodating and always helpful. There was free wine and a few appetizers every evening and coffee and tea every morning. The one downside was not a lot of gathering areas in the lobby, which was only a problem when it was raining outside and there was no where else to go.

The rooms were nicely decorated and the bed was so comfortable, I would have brought it home with me if I could. The bathroom was very large for a city hotel and a great shower head. I will defiantly be returning, very convenient to the city with the metro 2 blocks away and quick ride into downtown.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Hi willi172,

I am thrilled you had a successful meeting with us and that you received excellent service from our staff. I am sorry the intimate space of our living room did not provide enough seating during peak times such as with our wine reception. I am glad you enjoyed the décor of our rooms and decided to leave the bed behind. They are available for purchase if you are interested; just let me know.

We look forward to your return trip,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!