“Near perfect weekend at the Lorien” 5 of 5 stars

Upgrade Your Stay
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
WASHINGTON
“Near perfect weekend at the Lorien”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My lady and I just had the best stay at the wonderful Lorien Hotel and spa in Alexandria! From check in to check out, all of the staff were very nice and helpful! After a pretty poor stay at the nearby Kimpton Monaco (see my review), I was hoping this would turn out better...boy did it! The doorpersons came across the street to greet us and take our bags. Shane, the host at check in was great, detailing all the amenities. I am a Kimpton in touch member, so despite booking via Hotwire, they gave me the $10 off the minibar card (something the Monaco does not do) and welcomed us as special guests. The room had a queen size bed that was very comfortable and a flat screen tv on the wall. The room was a bit small, but just fine for us. Shane and Branford both worked at the desk and hosted the wine receptions in the afternoon. Both are wonderful people, very pleasant, helpful and informative. The housekeeping staff was perfect, replenishing our rooms as required and asking us if we needed anything special. We were in room 402, which overlooks the mini courtyard. We ate at the Brabo tasting room, which has a great beer/wine selection. Sorry to say we missed our reservation at the main Brabo, but it looks really good! The hotel is 16 blocks from the water on King street, which is a great walk for those so inclined, and is only 2 blocks from the Metro. There is a free trolley if you would rather ride. But do walk King street as there are many fine restaurants/shops along the way. There is ample parking in the area for those that don't mind walking a couple of blocks, but note the hour restrictions! The only caveat in our room was the HVAC system seemed a bit noisy. It did not bother me, but my lady called it "the dragon"! In short, we just loved the Lorien and will be back as soon as we can. Thanks everyone for making our stay so special!

Room Tip: We loved room 402, but if there is a wedding reception in the party room, you can hear the music ups...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Hi 1Jp1,

I am sorry things did not work out at our nearby sister hotel, but I am glad you were willing to try another Kimpton hotel. I appreciate you pointing out the wonderful service you received from Shane, Brandon and yes, the other Shane. I was pleased to note you had the opportunity to enjoy our evening wine reception, and dine in our BRABO Tasting Room. It looks like you made the most of our convenient location on King Street. Please accept my apologies for any disturbance the HVAC in your room caused; I will have it checked out.

We look forward to your next visit,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Boulder
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The Lorien is a block from the Metro and a short drive or bus ride to all Alexandria/King Street restaurants/activities. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the rooms are decorated with taste and are kept in great shape. Overall, one can't go wrong staying at the Lorien.

Room Tip: We have stayed in the front street rooms and were not disturbed by any noise. There is a very small...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Hi Monty1424,

I am glad you appreciated the condition and location of the hotel, and that you found our staff to be very friendly.

We hope to see you again soon,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was at the Lorien for a business function. Its a smaller hotel but the staff is very attentive to your needs. This being a Kimpton hotel, I am not usually concerned about quality and in this situation I was not disappointed. The room was very clean and relaxing, and beautifully/minimally appointed. The bed was very comfortable. The only concern was with the temperature control in the meeting rooms, but whoever can fix this problem for any meeting room would be a millionaire if this problem could get solved. The staff was very attentive to get this fixed during our meeting. We also had a beverage service during the meeting and the staff kept the ice and coffee refilled. Location wise, it is within walking distance from the old town area where there are numerous boutiques, restaurants and cafes. If my meeting did not keep us indoor most of the day, I would have liked to have walked around more to explore. I would definitely return on a to this hotel for a personal visit to the area as well.

Hello Baltrx,

I was pleased to note you had successful meeting experience with us and that you found our staff to be accommodating to your needs. I am sorry the meeting room temperature required adjustment, but was happy our Engineer was able to resolve the issue. When you come back for your next visit to explore Old Town, it will be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Cordially,

Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I had such a great experience at this hotel! The location is beautifully decorated and the staff was friendly and helpful. I loved the high ceilings and decor in my room, and I have to admit, my favorite part of my room was my bathroom! the open shower and claw-foot tub were amazing. The location of the hotel is great, too. King Street at night is a little quiet, but there were a lot of little shops, stores, and restaurants very close to the restaurant. Also, the metro station is right down the block, so traveling into DC was very convenient. My only advice is to ask for a room further away from the train station, because at night you could hear the train coming and going. Coming from NYC, you would think the train noise isn't noticeable, but it is. I would definitely stay here again, loved this experience!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi JC0516,

I am glad you appreciated the décor and your wonderful spa like bathroom. I am sorry the trains running on the nearby Metro tracks up to DC caused a little disturbance for you, but as you indicated, we certainly have plenty of guest rooms that face the opposite direction. Yes, King Street certainly has countless boutique shops and restaurants to consider.

We hope to see you again soon,

Morrisville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is my 2nd stay here and thought I should rate my experience at the Hotel Lorien.

When we first pulled into the hotel we were pleasantly greeted by the valet, who was more than happy to assist with all of the luggage and paraphernalia we had for our four-legged travel companion. Check-in was a breeze and everyone within the hotel was ultra-responsive and courteous to our needs. Our four-legged travel companion even befriended a number of the staff on her walks.

You would never know this place is dog-friendly as this is one of cleanest hotels I have stayed at in quite some time. Most of the major hotel chains have cut corners on cleanliness, however the Lorien was extremely clean.

My only knock (Which is geared towards Brabo and not the hotel) was the somewhat average dining experience at Brabo. The Tasting Room is a wonderful casual dining experience however Brabo was simply average at best (Which is a disappointment considering it's price point).

I typically travel into town as my home office is near GWU, however have been disappointed in the lodging accommodations near the office, which led me to look elsewhere. The Lorien is a wonderful alternative as it is within a stone's throw of the King St. Metro stop and a short ride into the city.

I would highly recommend staying here however would not return to Brabo for a meal.

Hello kbrenneman73,

I am glad you found our hotel to be very clean and pet-friendly. I am sorry your BRABO dining experience did not meet your expectations like with your meal in the BRABO Tasting Room. I am pleased you were able to make good use of the Metro stop two blocks from the hotel in order to get to your office.

We look forward to hosting you and your four-legged friend on your next trip to DC,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was in town for a business meeting over a weekend. The organization I was meeting with booked this hotel for both the stay of the participants and for the two-day meeting we were attending. I was pleasantly surprised at the accommodations of this boutique hotel. Not being familiar with this hotel chain, I was skeptical. However, the check-in was quick, and once I got to the room and saw the rooms, I began to feel more at ease. The hotel does not offer free wi-fi, but if you join their guest program it is free. I was able to do that on the spot, and my wi-fi was immediately available. The room was large and had every convenience. I ate at the restaurant for both breakfast and dinner, and both meals had good menus. The food was well prepared and very acceptable for a hotel restaurant. You can't beat the location of the hotel. It is only two stops on the Washington, DC Metro from Reagan Airport, and only a short two block walk from the Kings St. Metro stop. You are right where you want to be if you are planning on shopping or eating at one of the many shops and restaurants in Old Town Alexandria. I have no complaints. It was a very pleasant and enjoyable two day stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Hello TNLarry,

I am glad your organization booked you with us, so that you had the opportunity to experience the Lorien Hotel & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel. I was pleased to note you had the change to enjoy our restaurant BRABO on more than one occasion, and that you enjoyed the size and amenities of your guest room. Our location is certainly convenient for the use of Metro which can get you to DCA and up to DC for business or some sightseeing.

We look forward to your next visit,

Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Lorien Hotel and Spa. The room was very comfortable and well maintained. I especially appreciated the comfortable bed after walking all day in DC and the level of cleanliness of both the property and our room.

Alexandria is a beautiful city with excellent restaurants and shopping. In addition, it's an excellent home base for a trip to Washington DC. The hotel is approximately 3 blocks from the Metro station which was very convenient. Another review mentioned the 7-day Metro pass which was a great bargain and there is also a Whole Foods Market about 4 blocks from the hotel. I highly recommend this hotel and would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi RandV10,

I am pleased you found your accommodations to be comfortable and very clean. It sounds like you became quite the local using the convenient Metro system and enjoying our local stores and restaurant.

We await that heartbeat that sends you back our way,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!