“Weekend in Alexandria, VA” 5 of 5 stars

Sweet Suite Deal
Ranked #1 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Belchertown, Massachusetts
“Weekend in Alexandria, VA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

The Lorien Hotel and Spa is my new favorite in the DC area. Friendly, helpful and prompt staff. There is a nice little tasting bar adjacent to the hotel. I have only eaten breakfast at Brabos (their full service restaurant), but the food was excellent. The hotel is a short walk to the Metro. I like the location because King Street has great shops for browsing and restaurants offering all types of food.

Room Tip: I like the double double.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Hi ritac288,

We are thrilled to be your hotel of choice! I am glad you had excellent interactions with our staff and that you enjoyed your experience at BRABO. Yes, our hotel is definitely conveniently located near the King Street Metro stop.

See you soon,

840 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

got lucky with hotwire and ended up here on our first return trip to dc since moving. was super happy about as i always wanted to stay here when we lived in nova. the tasting room was on our fav restaurants when we lived in nova so to stay at the lorien was a dream come true! did not disappoint, it met all expectations (and there were quite a few after drooling over this place for a few years) and so much more! the wine reception was great, the rooms beautiful, bed was comfy, huge shower, and the location is fabulous. needless to say, we cannot say enough good about our stay and loom forward to a return in the future.

Hello melissa829,

It’s nice to read that your dream came true and you had the opportunity to stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed the Tasting Room, our wine reception and overall décor of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I was recently in the area for spring break with my 8 year old. We both loved the hotel from the minute we walked in, very spa-like smell and energy. All staff (front desk, restaurant, housekeeping, spa, etc) could not have been friendlier or more helpful. The beds were comfy and the room was quiet and comfortable with well-regulated temperatures. The hotel is only 2 blocks from the Metro stop and there are lots of restaurants within walking distance. These factors were important to us after a long day in DC sightseeing and walking. We loved the hotel and would highly recommend it to others. We will definitely return when we are in the DC area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Hi 34LALEE,

I am thrilled that you and your son chose us as your base camp for your spring break adventures in DC. The Metro is definitely close and great way to get up to DC. I am glad you enjoyed the ambiance and décor of the hotel, and that you received wonderful personalized service from our staff.

We look forward to your return,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stay at The Lorien several times a year. It is my first choice in hotels in Alexandria. The staff is super friendly and professional, the rooms are comfortable with updated decor. Love the idea of the complimentary wine in the evening! My husband and I always enjoy the convenience of Brabo Tasting Room, and Brabo restaurant - 2 wonderful places to eat! It is an easy walk to the Metro and all of the great places to shop!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Hello paisleyRed,

I am thrilled we have become your “go to” hotel in Alexandria, for our wine tasting and great location on King Street near the Metro. I am glad you enjoy the service provided by our staff as well as the look and feel of our rooms.

We look forward to your next visit,

Metairie, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The price was great and the location was perfect for a visit to DC -- 15 minutes from DC and in center of old town Alexandria -- amidst quaint shops along street to river. The hotel has a modern design with large showers, comfortable bedding. Staff provided excellent service, offering us a glass of wine upon our late arrival because we missed the wine reception. They accommodated our room request upon arrival (we were originally given a room without a window on the far end so be sure to ask for one). We have never stayed at a Kimpton hotel before and were pleased at the services provided, too. They provide dozens of items at no charge if forgotten, have 24 hour room service, movies, snack bar, fridge, free wifi, computer with links to info & dining menus, etc. We had to request a coffee maker but they brought one up right away. I was disappointed that the spa did not offer salon services for hair and nails… just massages and facials. There was a spa feel to room -- clean and modern -- parking was valet.

• Stayed March 2013
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Hello JudyNewOrleans,

I see you found the best of both worlds with us for price and location. I was pleased to note our modern décor was appealing to you, and that your visit started with a glass of wine. It’s hard to beat that! I am glad you enjoyed all the complimentary extras we provide to make your experience more enjoyable. I am sorry our spa doesn’t offer salon services, but we are able to recommend ones we have tried out.

We hope to see you again soon,

Pasadena
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

It is always difficult not to be able to give five stars to a hotel that tries so hard. But there are things that need to be said to alert future travelers.

First, the staff at the Lorien are outstanding. The front desk, valets, housekeeping and wait staff were pleasant and well trained. Many staff members have affectionate names like Sweet Pete or Father Thomas (general manager). The facility is clean and extremely well located. The rooms had good firm beds and crisp linens. Clearly the hotel is trying to emulate five star service.

However upon checking in I had to remind the concierge that I wanted a quiet room with a nice view. I had filled this information on their In Touch program website. Sweet Pete was not aware of this because he said I had made my reservation with Expedia and further that this stay would not count in their loyalty program. I stayed in 314 which seemed very nice except no view......overlooking a parking lot. I was told that there really aren't any rooms with great views (despite photos of previous guests room views).

Upon being awakened at 7am by linen service and sea food service I decided to discuss with management. The GM Father Thomas was very understanding and I was shown two rooms that would be alternatives. Neither were good options. Not surprising as this was Easter week end. Management sent a bottle of wine to my room with a very nice note if apology for not being able to provide me with a quiet room. On my second night the guests next to me were blasting their TV. The front desk was able to have them turn their TV down. In addition the stopper in the bathtub did not work. Although I requested engineering to repair it, it was not fixed. So I could not take a bath. Also, I requested a Wall Street Journal daily which I did not receive.

Although I took photos the current photos are accurate and mine would only duplicate the existing ones. This is a pet friendly and child friendly hotel. Lots of dogs at the hotel which I personally find objectionable. But if that doesn't bother you then this is your place.

The Lorien has an excellent restaurant and bar as well as a tasting room which I review in the restaurant section.

Finally, I will repeat that the staff is terrific but they cannot fix what are physical issues with this hotel. If it were not for the staff I would rate this hotel lower.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear CAgirlqt,

It was a pleasure speaking with you at the Front Desk. Please accept my apologies for not being able to get you situated in a guest room that met all of your requirements. I am sorry the bathtub stopper repair our Engineer completed was not the permanent fix we intended to create. I was pleased to note you received wonderful service from all the staff who interacted with you throughout your stay, and that you enjoyed your BRABO restaurant experiences.

Cordially,

Detroit, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Easy Stay In Convenient Location To Metro And King Street Restaurants. Free Trolley Is Nice But Doesn't Circulate Often Enough. Easy Stay In Convenient Location To Metro And King Street Restaurants. Free Trolley Is Nice But Doesn't Circulate Often Enough.

• Stayed March 2013
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear business_traveler008,

I am glad you enjoyed our location which is close to the Metro stop and so many excellent restaurants. I am sorry the Trolley doesn’t run as frequently as you wish, but at least there is some great window shopping to do along King Street.

We look forward to seeing you again soon,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!