“Snazzy Spot In Old Town” 5 of 5 stars

Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Detroit, MI
“Snazzy Spot In Old Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Easy Stay In Convenient Location To Metro And King Street Restaurants. Free Trolley Is Nice But Doesn't Circulate Often Enough. Easy Stay In Convenient Location To Metro And King Street Restaurants. Free Trolley Is Nice But Doesn't Circulate Often Enough.

• Stayed March 2013
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear business_traveler008,

I am glad you enjoyed our location which is close to the Metro stop and so many excellent restaurants. I am sorry the Trolley doesn’t run as frequently as you wish, but at least there is some great window shopping to do along King Street.

We look forward to seeing you again soon,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Challl Hill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I love this hotel and have returned twice after my initial visit. The staff is very friendly, but professional at the same time. it is an unusually challenging combination to find. There is good coffee in the sitting area in the mornings and in the evenings a complimentary glass (or two) of wine is available. When we was there in mid-March we sat outside by the fire pit and enjoyed our wine. It is close enough to the King Street Metro station to ride the Metro from the airport and to hop onto if you want to go anywhere in the DC area. I've never stayed there with my dogs but I look forward to doing that someday. Overall, the Lorien feels like a European hotel to me and I'll return as often as I can.

Room Tip: I've stayed in this hotel 3 times and each room has been lovely. I like looking out onto the ent...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Hello melody h,

I’m pleased that you found the best of both worlds within our staff. I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy our morning coffee and evening wine reception. The Metro is certainly convenient whether down from National airport or up to DC.

We look forward to your next visit, and perhaps with your dogs,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at Lorien. It was close enough to the metro to take into DC and we could also walk into the restaurants and shops in old town. Lorien is a comfy, peaceful place, the decor was simple but pleasing. Wine receptions each evening. The service was top notch and we felt the staff was attentive but not over-bearing. Rooms were very clean. Valet parking was convenient, since parking is at a premium there. The gentlemen parking the cars couldn't have been more friendly. We also decided on massages and took advantage of that service at the Lorien spa. We needed a peaceful, relaxing weekend ad got it at Lorien.

Room Tip: Choosing the upgraded King room with the soaking tub was the best decision we made. It was awesome t...
Dear MarjHatz,

I’m happy we could be your weekend retreat. It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your spa experiences and enjoying our evening wine reception. I was very pleased to have shared your feedback with our Valet parking team.

When you need a break from the stresses of life, we’ll be here for you,

Niskayuna, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We decided to divide our drive from New York to Florida by staying at the Lorien in Alexandria for two nights. It was a wonderful experience for my husband, myself and our part Havanese and Part King Charles Cavalier, Ella. They made us feel so welcomed. Our accommodations were clean, sophisticated, and comfortable. Our dinner in their restaurant was excellant. Everyone we met who worked at the Lorien was friendly and accommondating. We will definitely make the Lorien our stop on future trips south since we are close to retirement. Alexandria was also a very pet friendly town. We enjoyed the close proximity to King Street and all the shops.

Room Tip: Just tell them what you would like. They are very accommondating. We like a quiet room away from ele...
Hi Deanne B,

Thank you for choosing us as your rest stop part way through your trip to Florida. I am glad you enjoyed the décor of the hotel and that you received personalized service from our staff. It is certainly a nice walk, especially with Ella, up and down King Street to window shop.

We hope you will be passing by again soon,

Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have stayed at the Lorien Hotel twice and will be going back in June. The first time alone and the second time with husband and dog in tow. I cannot say enough about how accommodating the staff is from the valet parking to the welcoming front desk to housekeeping. My husband was extremely impressed with the customer service and "can do" attitude here. This boutique hotel tucked into the heart of Old Town is a jewel and a truly comfortable home away from home. At our last stay, we were upgraded upon checking in to a lovely suite and our dog, Max, was given a treat at check in as well. Everyone remembered our names and also Max's.....very pet friendly. It is very clean and modern and they serve wine and appetizers every evening in a lovely comfy sitting area off the lobby with outdoor patio fire. Also, coffee and newspapers there in the morning. There is also an inviting courtyard in the front of the hotel. We have eaten at both the Brabo Tasting Room and also Brabo Restaurant. Both are delicious....the mussels and unique flatbreads are a must at the tasting room. We also had free wifi and I love the free "raid the mini bar" card they give you at check in. I would suggest you join Kimpton loyalty program and then reserve through their website. They had a yoga mat waiting in my room as I had requested on their site. Our room also smelled lovely. Very convenient are for walking and close to metro stop as well. A really great farmers market there in the summer down the street and great shopping. One more thing....I have never written a review for a hotel before but felt compelled....that's what a positive experience it was.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hello Nancy K,

I am thrilled that you have chosen to write your first travel review about the Lorien Hotel & Spa! It’s nice to note that you, your husband and Max all enjoyed the service that we provided. It’s hard not to fall in love with the mussels which you can actually get in BRABO, as well as the BRABO Tasting Room.

We look forward to welcoming you back in June,

Atl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel is an excellent hotel in the heart of Alexandria. I traveled for business but it would also be great for a couples getaway. The rooms were clean, the service was excellent, and the location was perfect. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone staying in Alexandria.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Hi AtlJ123,

I am glad you enjoyed our location while on business travel, and think that we would be an ideal choice for a couples retreat. I was pleased to note you found the hotel to be clean, and received excellent service from our staff.

We look forward to your next visit,

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I travel constantly, and this is the first time I have ever taken to writing a review after a hotel stay. I was heading to Alexandria for a 3-night getaway and took to tripadvisor for recommendations. Upon reading up on the Lorien, I made my reservation...and the experience did not disappoint. The accommodations were modern, clean and stylish. The location: perfect. Each of the dining options were top-notch (the mussels at BRABO tasting room should not be missed). But the first class, attentive service at the Lorien is why you should stay there. Absolutely unbelievable. Every single person we encountered there made the trip special. Look for excellent last-minute deals on rooms, too. I suggest using the kimpton hotels website directly.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a nice view. There are a few different types of rooms to choose from. Look for la...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hello Brussels4Two,

I was thrilled to read your comments about how the wonderful service you received had the greatest impact on you on your stay. I am glad you enjoyed our location, modern décor, and the cuisine found in BRABO and the BRABO Tasting Room.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!