“Great Stay, Great location” 5 of 5 stars

Sweet Suite Deal
Ranked #2 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Wayne, New Jersey
“Great Stay, Great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed here on business, right in Old Alexandria. This hotel is very nice with a great restaurant and bar below. The service fantastic, greeting with a glass of wine at check in, accomodating to the umpteenth degree. Not a single complaint.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Hi FrankV70,

I was thrilled to read you received amazing service, along with that glass of wine at check-in. Even though there are many restaurants along King Street, I am glad you had a chance to experience BRABO.

See you again soon,

797 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Bethany Beach, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay in this hotel. The staff was super friendly, the hotel was really clean, and it was in a good location, meaning that it was quiet but still close to everything. King St. is about a mile long, so this hotel was located at the end of the shops & restaurants, but there were so many things close by that walking the mile down toward the water didn't take long because we were occupied along the way. (Even though a mile is not that bad, but it might be for elderly because of the brick sidewalks?) I would stay here again for sure. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant (Brabo) which was expensive. It was good, but not for what they charge. Dinner in this restaurant looked phenomenal, and I would like to try it when I come back. Very close to the Masonic Temple and the metro.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Hello LuvMyLuLu,

I am glad you found our staff to be very outgoing and the hotel to be very clean. I am glad enjoyed our location along King Street which gave you access to all the shops, and a quick walk to the Metro stop. I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast experience in BRABO, but certainly understand there are some quicker and less expensive options near the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel until March 2 for three nights. I truly enjoyed my stay at the hotel. Everything was wonderful--the staff were pleasant and informed; the valet were very helpful as well. The wine reception is a great added touch, especially since my colleague and I were there for a conference and were cooped up all day (and from navigating DC-area traffic when you first check in!).

The rooms were very well appointed and comfortable. The shower head was amazing and the bed quite plush. As a side sleeper, I usually have trouble with mattresses when traveling but I slept very well. I should note that there was a train-like noise in the early morning hours that did wake me up before I wanted to rise. I don't know if this is the metro or something else, but if you're a light sleeper, you can make yourself more comfortable by wearing some ear plugs just in case. I really enjoyed the exercise facilities as well. Everything was clean (critical) and fitness accompaniments were available (like headphones) in case you forgot some things. Unfortunately, I did not get to the spa and definitely plan on making an appointment next time I'm the area. I'll stay at the Lorien again for sure.

I will not ever visit Brabo again, however. My colleague and I were returning from dinner and had picked up dessert along the way, planning to just eat it in our rooms. We entered the hotel area and were actually escorted into Brabo by a very nice concierge. At the restaurant, my colleague ordered dessert and as we waited, I dipped a spoonful of the frozen yogurt I'd been carrying into my mouth. Well, it was as if the hyper-active, rude, Astor-wannabe male bartender was watching me like a hawk because within literally seconds, he came over, pushing his glasses on his nose as if I'd committed the greatest of social sins and told me that outside food was not allowed in the restaurant. First of all, I get that, which is why I promptly closed my yogurt, but we were also in the bar area waiting on a to go order. Not to mention that the female bartender who took the order was exceptionally rude to my colleague as well. When she brought the check over, she asked for the room number, to which my colleague responded that she'd rather just pay then instead of having to spend extra time at checkout. The female bartender said "You can do whatever you want." That experience put a terrible taste in my mouth, thus I won't ever go to Brabo.

Overall, my stay was great, though; the Brabo incident netted the review a very good.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor; try not to get a room with adjoining suites/rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear AttractiveNuisance,

I am glad you found our staff to be and helpful and knowledgeable, and that you had the opportunity to enjoy our wine reception; certainly a great way to wind down after a long day of meetings. I was pleased to note you felt at home with our mattress and were able to have a good night’s sleep. I am sorry about the situation that occurred in BRABO. This certainly comes as a surprise, and will be reviewed accordingly with the team.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Cordially,

Arnold, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My hubby and I recently stayed at the Lorien Hotel and Spa in Old Town Alexandria. The hotel is a Kimpton branded hotel, so I was expecting something nice, but the hotel is more than nice, it is amazing. It is a smaller boutique hotel with a very personal feel, not large and impersonal. The staff is very professional and competent, from the valet to the front dest staff, and the housekeeping staff, everyone provided excellent service. The housekeeping staff keeps the rooms and bathrooms impeccable. Since it is a spa hotel, there are menus in the bathroom so you can order a bath butler and individual aromatherapies and towel warmer for a spa like treatment in your room. The hotel is located directly on King Street and within easy walking distance to restaurants, antique galleries, and less than two blocks from the metro. Even though the hotel is in the middle of everything, once you are inside it is a relaxing and comfortable atmosphere. I would recommend this hotel for couples, a girls getaway, or relaxing spa vacation. It is also a great location for a DC trip...close to the metro and easy ride to town but not as hustle bustle and much more relaxing than in the city. Kudos to Kimpton on this wonderful boutique hotel and it's top rate staff.

Room Tip: The Lorien Suite has extra large bathrooms with a large wet room for the shower and claw foot tubs...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Hi kv3291,

It sounds like you and your “hubby” had a wonderful time, taking advantage of so much the Lorien and Old Town have to offer. I am glad you enjoyed the cozy feel of our hotel and the approachability of our staff. We will be waiting if you decided to return for that girl’s getaway or spa weekend.

See you soon,

Captiva, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Lovely boutique-style hotel in Old Town, near shops and restaurants. Quiet room, upscale bathroom, friendly staff. The guys at the curb are particularly great! The Babbo restaurant was excellent! The bar scene was lively also. You can even bring your dog to this hotel! Loved the claw foot tub and they have a bubble bath menu!

Hello Wandafanda,

I was thrilled you had the opportunity to interact with our Valets out front. They are certainly a bunch of welcoming and helpful individuals. I am glad you enjoyed your experience in BRABO, as well as other restaurants along King Street.

I hope you will have another chance to stay with us,

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Spent the weekend at the Lorien. Wonderful dinner at Brabo. Great wine. Considerate service. I would suggest skipping breakfast in the hotel for other local places. I had a king room with a small terrace - wonderful to enjoy the spring weather. Also went to the Spa for a facial. Very nice locker room with steam. Clean. Friendly staff. There is a small gym - 2 bikes, three treadmills, 2 elipticals with a small area for stretching/ barbells.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hi RVAGal,

I am glad you had a chance to get away from it all, especially with your Spa appointment and use of our Fitness Center. BRABO certainly has an excellent wine list and knowledgeable sommelier. There are certainly other breakfast options within a few blocks of the hotel in case you want a change of pace.

We hope to see you soon,

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Followed my sweet husband to DC and he got a room at the Lorien. OK, I tagged along partially because he DID get a room at the Lorien. In any case, I went to celebrate the kick-off of the "sequester" with visits to some of the nation's treasures, monuments and museums and cemetaries, and also to enjoy Alexandria, of which I had heard much rave reviews. The Lorien was a fantastic location for all that, still very close to the Metro compared to the hotels that loom next to the train, but a little closer to the town, and felt it. Romantic and convenient, and we loved and took advantage of all the adjacent food-related things, including getting soft pretzels made to order for a work pot-luck.

The hotel was a little modest at first glance, and the room was very small and had both nice qualities and some drawbacks. The shower, for example, was very beautiful and I loved the modern take on industrial, but the mechanical reality meant it was impossible to not get water all over the bathroom floor. For being a "spa" hotel, we were surprised that there was no sauna or jacuzzi available, certainly no pool, though the bathroom floor made an honest attempt. A perfectly fine gym in the basement, and spa/beauty services, but they were booked. We hoped the "snow storm" would created cancellations, but of course not, since there was no snow.

But all is not lost! It took a couple of days, but we figured out that the "happy hour" from 5-6 is delightful, the best ever. The restaurant's continental breakfast, which was included with our room rate, was spectacular, as was everything else on the menu. The outdoor patio with the fire pit was inviting and glamorous. The staff was fantastic. Everything was immaculate and pleasant, just all a little lower-ceilinged than we are used to in the land of giants, also known as St. Louis. We walked around the profoundly historic-y town in the evening, and all day on the blustery "snow-day", enjoying all the little shops, bars and restaurants, getting to the river, scowling that we would not have an opportunity to take the water taxi across the Potomac to National Harbor, and consoling ourselves with food, drink and a view at the Chart House. We loved the King Street shuttle that lets you keep walking, knowing you can hop on it to get back up the hill to the hotel. Very nice. Ended the trip with a precious purchase at one of the antique stores, Golden Rhodes, who opened early and had the glasses we had seen in the window the night before all wrapped up and ready to go so I could get to the airport in time. Thanks, Charles!

Funny thing... in the lobby living room, where the happy hour takes place, there are bookshelves with books all wrapped in white paper so you can't see what they are. A la Restoration Hardware. It makes for quite an adventure browsing, and you may open up to anything. After a few tries in this literary lottery, I found a collection of Damon Runyon short stories, which I have never read, and that, in fact, made my trip even more marvelous. Also recommend, grim but with happy endings, at least of a sort. Very good.

All in all, very delightful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Susan W,

I am glad you made the most of our proximity to the Metro stop as well as the King Street Trolley. I am sorry you ended up with some water on your bathroom floor; it certainly belongs in the shower. I wish you had the opportunity to visit our Spa. All guests are more than welcome to use our complimentary steam rooms located in each Spa locker room. Our wine reception is certainly a big hit, so I am glad you were able to join us for some good times.

Is there is another trip planned soon?

Cordially,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!