“Great Digs in Old Town” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Captiva, FL
“Great Digs in Old Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Lovely boutique-style hotel in Old Town, near shops and restaurants. Quiet room, upscale bathroom, friendly staff. The guys at the curb are particularly great! The Babbo restaurant was excellent! The bar scene was lively also. You can even bring your dog to this hotel! Loved the claw foot tub and they have a bubble bath menu!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Hello Wandafanda,

I was thrilled you had the opportunity to interact with our Valets out front. They are certainly a bunch of welcoming and helpful individuals. I am glad you enjoyed your experience in BRABO, as well as other restaurants along King Street.

I hope you will have another chance to stay with us,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Spent the weekend at the Lorien. Wonderful dinner at Brabo. Great wine. Considerate service. I would suggest skipping breakfast in the hotel for other local places. I had a king room with a small terrace - wonderful to enjoy the spring weather. Also went to the Spa for a facial. Very nice locker room with steam. Clean. Friendly staff. There is a small gym - 2 bikes, three treadmills, 2 elipticals with a small area for stretching/ barbells.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hi RVAGal,

I am glad you had a chance to get away from it all, especially with your Spa appointment and use of our Fitness Center. BRABO certainly has an excellent wine list and knowledgeable sommelier. There are certainly other breakfast options within a few blocks of the hotel in case you want a change of pace.

We hope to see you soon,

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Followed my sweet husband to DC and he got a room at the Lorien. OK, I tagged along partially because he DID get a room at the Lorien. In any case, I went to celebrate the kick-off of the "sequester" with visits to some of the nation's treasures, monuments and museums and cemetaries, and also to enjoy Alexandria, of which I had heard much rave reviews. The Lorien was a fantastic location for all that, still very close to the Metro compared to the hotels that loom next to the train, but a little closer to the town, and felt it. Romantic and convenient, and we loved and took advantage of all the adjacent food-related things, including getting soft pretzels made to order for a work pot-luck.

The hotel was a little modest at first glance, and the room was very small and had both nice qualities and some drawbacks. The shower, for example, was very beautiful and I loved the modern take on industrial, but the mechanical reality meant it was impossible to not get water all over the bathroom floor. For being a "spa" hotel, we were surprised that there was no sauna or jacuzzi available, certainly no pool, though the bathroom floor made an honest attempt. A perfectly fine gym in the basement, and spa/beauty services, but they were booked. We hoped the "snow storm" would created cancellations, but of course not, since there was no snow.

But all is not lost! It took a couple of days, but we figured out that the "happy hour" from 5-6 is delightful, the best ever. The restaurant's continental breakfast, which was included with our room rate, was spectacular, as was everything else on the menu. The outdoor patio with the fire pit was inviting and glamorous. The staff was fantastic. Everything was immaculate and pleasant, just all a little lower-ceilinged than we are used to in the land of giants, also known as St. Louis. We walked around the profoundly historic-y town in the evening, and all day on the blustery "snow-day", enjoying all the little shops, bars and restaurants, getting to the river, scowling that we would not have an opportunity to take the water taxi across the Potomac to National Harbor, and consoling ourselves with food, drink and a view at the Chart House. We loved the King Street shuttle that lets you keep walking, knowing you can hop on it to get back up the hill to the hotel. Very nice. Ended the trip with a precious purchase at one of the antique stores, Golden Rhodes, who opened early and had the glasses we had seen in the window the night before all wrapped up and ready to go so I could get to the airport in time. Thanks, Charles!

Funny thing... in the lobby living room, where the happy hour takes place, there are bookshelves with books all wrapped in white paper so you can't see what they are. A la Restoration Hardware. It makes for quite an adventure browsing, and you may open up to anything. After a few tries in this literary lottery, I found a collection of Damon Runyon short stories, which I have never read, and that, in fact, made my trip even more marvelous. Also recommend, grim but with happy endings, at least of a sort. Very good.

All in all, very delightful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Susan W,

I am glad you made the most of our proximity to the Metro stop as well as the King Street Trolley. I am sorry you ended up with some water on your bathroom floor; it certainly belongs in the shower. I wish you had the opportunity to visit our Spa. All guests are more than welcome to use our complimentary steam rooms located in each Spa locker room. Our wine reception is certainly a big hit, so I am glad you were able to join us for some good times.

Is there is another trip planned soon?

Cordially,

Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great location. Staff very accommodating. Beautiful aesthetics make this an oasis at the end of a long working day. I love the soft colors and lighting and the bathrooms are fabulous. The wine reception each afternoon is in a very relaxing setting and you have the option of sitting on the patio with an outdoor fireplace nearby. I have eaten at both restaurants on the property and both are excellent. Tarts from Brabbo's Tasting room are offered during the evening wine reception.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have a great balcony.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hello lozshuz,

I am pleased to note you enjoyed the décor and lighting in our guest rooms, as well as our fun and inviting wine reception. Like you indicated, BRABO and the BRABO Tasting Room are certainly not to be missed.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Good hotel with free coffee for breakfast and if u are a kimpton rewards member you get a free $10s worth in for minibar

Good location close to the subway to downtown DC. One way is about $4. There is also a free tram to go up a and down king street in Alexandria. There was good shopping and restaurants there too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hi velvcam,

I am glad you enjoyed our complimentary morning coffee as well as your Kimpton InTouch mini-bar benefit. As you noted we are just a few blocks from the King Street Metro stop, and of course King Street is full of some of the best window shopping and great places to eat.

See you again soon,

Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just enjoyed 2 nights at the Lorien Hotel in Old Town Alexandria. 3 blocks from King street metro to downtown DC, many restaurants and shops in the hotel area. Valet parking a breeze. All staff helpful and friendly. Did not receive upgrade as Kimpton In Touch member but that is unusual. We found the ventilator noise on the 5th floor annoying, so I would stay away from room 525. We did advise several staff members but the sound persisted.
Brabo and Brabo Tasting were excellent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Hello llongrider1,

I am glad you enjoyed our location near the Metro and all the shops on King Street, and that you found our valet parking to be very easy. I am sorry you did not receive a room upgrade on this visit. They are based on availability, but I hope we will be able to provide you one on your next visit. Please accept my apologies about any noise from our 5th floor corridor HVAC air flow. Unfortunately this wasn’t something we could immediately address. I look forward to sharing your feedback with the BRABO and BRABO Tasting Room teams.

We hope to see you again soon,

Burke, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I decided to celebrate our belated 10 year anniversary at the Lorien this past weekend. This was my first time staying at such a nice hotel, but he stayed at a Kimpton in Philadelphia before. From the moment we arrived, I knew that it would be such a wonderful experience. We missed the wine tasting, but we were still given complimentary glasses of wine to take up to our room. We also ordered late night room service which came quickly and was so good! The next morning, we were greeted warmly as we decided to take a walk down King Street. As silly as this may sound, it was so nice that without even having to touch the door, it was automatically opened for us. That was a nice touch and made me feel so special. :) Breakfast at Brabo was yummy! Our hotel room was spacious and beautiful and I wish we had been able to stay longer. Luckily, we are local and are already planning on going back as soon as possible!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Hi Ashley L,

First things first, Happy Anniversary! I am thrilled we made such a good first impression on you with the complimentary glasses of wine upon arrival. You aren’t being silly; having a door opened for you is a big deal. I hope you enjoyed your stroll down King Street where you can check out all the boutique shops.

We will hold you to that return visit,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!