“Amazing Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Burke, Virginia, United States
“Amazing Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I decided to celebrate our belated 10 year anniversary at the Lorien this past weekend. This was my first time staying at such a nice hotel, but he stayed at a Kimpton in Philadelphia before. From the moment we arrived, I knew that it would be such a wonderful experience. We missed the wine tasting, but we were still given complimentary glasses of wine to take up to our room. We also ordered late night room service which came quickly and was so good! The next morning, we were greeted warmly as we decided to take a walk down King Street. As silly as this may sound, it was so nice that without even having to touch the door, it was automatically opened for us. That was a nice touch and made me feel so special. :) Breakfast at Brabo was yummy! Our hotel room was spacious and beautiful and I wish we had been able to stay longer. Luckily, we are local and are already planning on going back as soon as possible!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Hi Ashley L,

First things first, Happy Anniversary! I am thrilled we made such a good first impression on you with the complimentary glasses of wine upon arrival. You aren’t being silly; having a door opened for you is a big deal. I hope you enjoyed your stroll down King Street where you can check out all the boutique shops.

We will hold you to that return visit,

840 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Positive: The rooms are modern, aesthetically pleasing, filled with new electronics, and well-cleaned. Very high quality. The location is also very good: close to the metro and walkable to the heart of Old Town.
Neutral: The staff is professional and efficient. Above-average relative to the industry, but only average relative to Kimpton standards. Minor example: I check in at 1 AM after a long day traveling, and during the process, the front desk staff member answers a phone call. I would have loved to get to a shower and bed as soon as possible, but instead I had to wait a minute. It was just a minute, and the front desk was otherwise efficient, but sometimes I think it's the little things that matter.
Negative: Slight industrial noise from the center courtyard if your windows face that direction.

This is really a 4.5 star review, but since I have to round to a whole star, the Lorien earns 5 mostly on the basis of the quality of the hotel. The rooms are wonderful. I did not experience the same stellar staff interactions that others have written about (and that I'm used to at other Kimptons), but that could have been for any number of reasons.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Hi mirandajjl,

I am glad you enjoyed the décor and cleanliness of the hotel. I am sorry our Front Desk agent did not do a better job managing the phone call during your check-in process. I appreciate you sharing this, as we will use it for training purposes. I am certain we can get you a quieter room during your next visit.

Cordially,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Spent the weekend here for a friend's birthday/couples' weekend. The check-in process was super simple, valet was very quick, and our bags were in the room within 5 minutes. Workout facilities were adequate, we didn't get a spa treatment but plan to use the steam room next time! On two separate visits we have tried both Brabo and the Brabo tasting room. At the tasting room this weekend we were seated promptly, waitstaff was very knowledgeable. We would definitely stay here again. Ask for an upgrade at check-in!

• Stayed March 2013
Hello Missleslib,

Thank you for returning to the Lorien Hotel & Spa, for another relaxing visit. I see you had a seamless arrival experience and had the opportunity to utilize our Fitness Center and have an excellent meal in the BRABO Tasting Room.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Truly outstanding service! They make you feel special from the moment you arrive and nothing is ever too much trouble! These guys get customer service!
Fantastic hotel and location. We stayed in a midsized suite which was decorated in a minimalist style and the worlds most comfiest bed!
We didn't eat in the restaurants but they looked classy

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear KS5050,

I was pleased to note you received a wonderful welcome and amazing service from our staff. I look forward to sharing your comments with everyone. I am glad you enjoyed our location and some great sleep.

We look forward to your next visit,

Bowie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I was treated to Lorien for my wedding almost two years ago, and this weekend, I had an absolutely superb prenatal massage at Lorien Spa. This was my second one since I've been pregnant (the other was at another spa), and by far, the superior experience. Maria had magical hands, with the right amount (a lot) of pressure in all the right places. I was as close to asleep as I've ever been during a massage treatment. I hope someone gets me a certificate for my baby shower, because I want to go back soon! Hubby got a Swedish and I could barely drag him out of the relaxation room afterward. We both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hello TravelingKey,

Hey, wake-up! Congratulations on your pregnancy. I am glad that Maria had the Midas touch during your massage experience, and that your husband enjoyed his too.

I hope you will find a way to come back and join us soon,

Utrecht
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Fifteen years of business travel, my best hotel experience so far. Fantastic hotel: quiet and well kept, good design, very clean, good beds, good facilities in the room.
And at least as important: extremely friendly staff, very helpful and alert when there are problems or for special requests.
Spa is great, very good massage, very nice steam room.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Frans-on-wheels,

Thanks for putting us at the top of your hotel list! I am glad you appreciated the basics we provide, but it’s even more rewarding to read the complimentary feedback about our team members.

We are ready to welcome you back,

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Lorien is a Kimpton property located in central Old Town Alexandria. It's a charming building in a great location. They have the standards amenities you can expect from a Kimpton: Wine happy hour, Free internet for In Touch members, and beautiful rooms with large bathrooms. The staff was friendly and helpful. I ordered room service and it came in 30 minutes and the food was great. Please not that the room service menu is quite pricey as the food is from BRABO the excellent restaurant downstairs. Overall the rooms was clean, quiet and there are no restrictions on the heat and AC. The staff also go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need. The room and hotel as a whole were a great value for the price I paid.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello Shelli P,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about our excellent location, beautiful guest rooms, and the helpfulness of our entire team. It sounds like it was a nice experience for you to have a wonderful meal from BRABO delivered to your room.

We look forward to your next visit,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!