“Great Boutique Hotel - Close To DC” 4 of 5 stars

Sweet Suite Deal
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bowie, Maryland
“Great Boutique Hotel - Close To DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband surprised me with a night away for my birthday and selected the Lorien Hotel in Alexandria. The hotel offers only valet parking ($26) but we were a little disappointed upon arrival that the valets were not on the curbside when we arrived. They met us as we were going into the hotel to collect our keys. The valets were very friendly and attentive, just a disappointment they weren't curbside to help with bags especially in the rain.

The entrance to the hotel is very pretty and clean. The check-in process is quick and simple which gets you on your way to relaxing right away. We were informed of the wine/cheese reception and also the breakfast/coffee in the living room. We didn't take advantage of either of these as we enjoyed some local restaurants instead. Our room was beautifully decorated, quite large and the bathroom with rain shower was awesome.

Service - The service at this hotel was very attentive. Every employee we encountered was cordial and professional. We at dinner at BRABO for my birthday and our server was amazing! He was very accommodating and had a sense of humor too.

BRABO - I realize this is a review about the Lorien Hotel but I did want to also add that although our service experience at BRABO was exceptional, I cannot say the same for the food. One would expect the restaurant to be inline with a Ruth Chris by the website/menu/hype, but it was not. I had veal scallopini and it was very salty and served with a brown gravy. My husband's NY Strip was not cooked properly and was served with the same brown gravy - they must use that on everything! Overall, not impressed with the food at BRABO.

SPA - we were unable to obtain appointments at the SPA which was disappointing. When we mentioned this to the front desk, we were told their spa had become quite popular with the locals and therefore they were usually booked. I suggested that some open slots be held for guests staying at the hotel but he said they had tried that in the past. I've stayed at Hotel/Spas before and always have been able to book a spa experience same day or next day during my stays. Not here.

Alexandria To Do: Great local shops, restaurants - some of our favorites: Pizza Paradiso, Union Street Pub, Bittersweet (lunch). Don't forget Alexandria Cupcake! You'll like it more than the famous Georgetown Cupcake. We did try the comedy club and although the comedian was funny, there were only about 15 people for the show which was disappointing. We attended the 10pm show. The trolley that runs along King Street is FREE and runs every 15 minutes. This is great when you want to see and do everything along King Street.

NOTE: Wear comfortable shoes for this area. The cobblestone/brick streets will tear up your heels and boots! I ruined by leather boots during our trip. Wear flat shoes!

Overall I would recommend the Lorien Hotel to friends as it is quaint, attentive and in a great location. I imagine Spring/Summer/Fall would be even better with the courtyard available for relaxing with a glass of wine in the evening.

Room Tip: Our room faced the street/courtyard which was a nice view at night. We were beside the elevator but...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Dawn P,

I am sorry our Valet was not appropriately stationed out front for your arrival, and that you were not able to obtain spa appointments. As much as we would like to, we are unable to hold back appointments. Please accept my apologies for your BRABO cuisine not matching the service you received. Your feedback has been shared with our Executive Chef. I was pleased to note you found the service provided by the staff to be attentive, and that you made the most of our King Street location.

We look forward to your next visit,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My first time to the area, for a three day business meeting. Arrived much later than expected due to a three hour flight delay. An employee met me at the cab and assisted me into the hotel. They called me by name and knew about my flight delays! Outstanding service from check in to check out. Wine reception and morning coffee is a nice touch and much appreciated! Food at the BRABO was great. Lots of quaint places to eat nearby as well and a free trolley shuttle that goes up and down King.only litch was when I tried to print my boarding passes, I kept getting an error message, but Brandon printed them for me at the front desk. I will definitely stay here again for my next visit!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello luv2travelMadison_WI,

I was thrilled to note you received a wonderful curbside welcome after your three hour flight delay. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our lobby offerings as well as enjoy a meal in BRABO. Sorry about the boarding pass issue, but you can always count on Brandon for some assistance.

We hope to see you again soon,

St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I booked this hotel because of the many great reviews from other users. I wanted to stay at a hotel that was in the D.C. area but with out the D.C. prices. They help with your bags as soon as you arrive. Brandon at the front desk was great. He gave coupons for their on site restaurants for free cocktails, and dessert because I flew in to the area for my birthday. Every evening they have a wine reception but we arrive once it was over but he offered to get us wine any ways. As soon as you step in the hotel, elevator and hallways, the smell is so amazingly clean and refreshing. The rooms are spotless! Every thing is so clean and neatly arranged. It is a boutique style hotel so the rooms are not very big but they are so nice regardless. The frosted barn style bathroom door is neat and unique but I do agree with other users on here that it is not very private. There is a gap on either side of the door where who ever you are staying with can peek through. Just make sure to tell your roomie not to walk by it if they are just a friend and you don't want them to catch a glimpse. Lol The bathroom itself is a very nice size. Especially for a double bedroom. The beds are comfortable but ask for a quiet room. You can hear the garbage trucks in the morning. It wasn't too bad though. We did not rent a car and it really isn't needed if you are just staying in the area or going into D.C. like I did. The King St. Metro station is only about 3 blocks away from the hotel. Was so convenient. It is $14 for one day unlimited rides; buy the 7 day pass for $35 if you are staying 3 or more days. This saves a lot of money because a cab ride one way can be about $30 or more into D.C. The metro is clean and I felt safe. They run on "color lines" like Boston which made it simple. A lot nicer than New York or Chicago. There are a ton of restaurants and shops on King St. If you want suggestions of where to go, ask the front desk staff. All of them no matter what shift were so nice and helpful. The in-room safes are not large enough to fit a normal size lap top but would fit tablets; but that is ok because all rooms have a computer for you to use. Sign up for the Kimpton in touch program! It's free and members get free wi-fi and $10 credit for anything in the minibar. The spa is nice too! This is a great hotel and I will definitely stay here next time I come to the D.C. area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear tainamami04,

Thank you for choosing us for your DC trip! I was thrilled to read all your great feedback about Brandon and have already shared it with him and the rest of the team. I am glad you appreciated the cleanliness of your guest room, our knowledgeable staff and our proximity to the Metro. I understand your comments about the modern aspects of our guest room décor and bathroom door.

We look forward to your next visit,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I recently stayed at the Lorien Hotel and Spa for a long staycation weekend; overall, I was pleased with the "hotel" part of their name. As others have noted, the room is very comfortable with nice bedding (and bigger than I expected for a boutique hotel). I didn't try either of the BRABO restaurants, but ordered a few room service meals from the restaurant and they were all excellent. The staff were friendly overall.

However, their name is "Lorien Hotel and Spa" and I didn't find the spa services or venue to be strong enough for "spa" to be featured in the establishment's name. I know this is probably supposed to be a review of the hotel, not the spa; however, since there may be others who might be looking to identify a place where the "hotel and spa" are equally strong, I'll summarize the areas where the spa fell short:

1) Lackluster Treatments - I'm a fairly frequent spa goer, and would characterize both the hot stone massage and facial as definitely below average (I've also had much better for much less money). The therapists also struggled with some of the basics of how to make sure the treatment is comfortable; for example, the pillow under my legs and heated pillow under my neck were oddly placed. I probably should have spoken up (instead of just shifting uncomfortably over and again as I did), but it surprised me since usually therapists at any kind of luxury establishment just know where to put these things. One plus: the treatment tables themselves stood out in terms of comfort (high quality linens and padding); however, that is the best thing I can say about my facial and massage.

2) Average Facility, With Elements That Were Unprofessional - The spa facilities themselves are decent, but nothing to write home about and certainly not enough to make up for mediocre treatments. There's an ok steam room, but the kind you'd probably find at an inexpensive gym. Also, two very odd things about the facility: (1) there is no dedicated nail space, so for nail treatments they send you to an unoccupied guest room. By this, I don't mean that they've cleared out a guest room to convert it into a nail space. I mean that they've carted the manicure table right there next to the bed in a room that just happens to be open at the moment. Really, this is a $50 pedicure? (2) there aren't enough lockers. When I came in for my facial, the receptionist told me that they didn't have a locker for me. She handed me a robe and slippers. I asked what I should do with my clothing after I changed, and she said to leave it on a chair in the locker room. She said I could leave valuables with her if I wanted. I found this all bizarre, so just carried my clothing with me into the relaxation area. About ten minutes later, she did come with a key to an empty locker, so at least didn't have to carry my clothing to my treatment. She was apologetic and polite and seemed to feel bad (and said that this was very rare--something to do with a large group of women who all got express services but stayed for a long time anyway), but utterly confused and unprofessional in dealing with the snafu. She should at least have given me a plastic bag to put my clothes in!

Now, none of this was deeply distressing -- it's still nice to be at a spa, even if it's overpriced for mediocre treatments and the facilities/service are goofy. But I selected the Lorien over the other Kimptons in Alexandria because I was attracted to the idea that it had a spa. If I could do it over, I probably would have picked the Monaco (which is a bit more centrally located among shops and restaurants, though farther from the Metro) and just gotten a massage at the cheap, hole-in-the-wall place across the street from the Lorien, or some other place.

In short, if you're just looking for solid luxury boutique hotel in Alexandria, or if you aren't terribly discerning about your spa facilities/services, I'd recommend the Lorien. But if you're looking for a hotel with a spa where you feel like the spa prices are at least somewhat justified bye either services or facilities (ideally both), look elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear serendipity613,

Please accept my apologies for your spa experience not living up to your expectations, as well as not being on par with the rest of your staycation weekend at the hotel. Just as you are disappointed, I am too. I have reviewed your feedback with our Spa Director so we can benefit from your feedback in order to enhance any future services we provide.

Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here twice in one month- it looked great online and even better in person
The service was excellent, rooms are very comfortable the beds were great as well. I loved the wine reception, great wines and little gourmet pizzas. It's a great value and location. Plus the restaurant were very good. I plan to stay there with my kids and take the train to DC, the station is 5 min away. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Beckyponce,

I am glad we gave you enough reasons to come back for a second stay in the same month! I suppose wine is always a good reason, but it’s nice to see you enjoyed your guest room accommodations, our two restaurants, as well as our proximity to the Metro station on King St.

We look forward to welcoming you and your kids soon,

Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My family of four stayed in this hotel in January 2013, during inauguration weekend. Alexandria is a charming place to stay, with a high concentration of lovely shops and restaurants, and this hotel offers easy access to the metro for those who want to go into D.C. The room and bathroom were clean and very nicely appointed. The staff was friendly and helpful--David showed us to our rooms and gave us tips about what to see in Alexandria. When another bellman/valet discovered that we were heading for the free shuttle stop on a Sunday morning, he made the extra effort to run down the block after us to tell us that the shuttle would not start running until later in the morning. We enjoyed dinner at Brabo Tasting Room. We did not have a reservation and arrived for dinner at around 8:00 on a busy weekend--the maitre d' arranged for the four of us to squeeze into a corner table so that our hungry children would not have to endure a 45 minute wait.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Hello 505travelwithfamily,

Thank you for choosing to spend Inauguration weekend with us. I am glad you made good use of the Metro to head up to DC for all the events, and that you enjoyed all Alexandria has to offer as well. I appreciate your comments about David, and was so happy to share them with him. I only wish I knew which one of my sprinter bellman/valets caught up to you in regards to the shuttle; I would like to give him a gold medal!

We hope to see you again before another four years pass,

Colorado Springs CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this propery for a weekend get-a-way in January 2013. I had called ahead to request assistance with a reservation at Restaurant Eve, as well as recommendations for boutique shopping in the area. Not only did Thomas handle my requests promptly via phone, he left two lovely notes with his recommendations in my room along with my Inner Circle welcome amenity. As if that was not enough, he upgraded me to the calming one bedroom suite with private terrace and excellent views of Old Town Alexandria! In addition to Thomas, I would like to recognize Shane, John, Peter, Tiffani, and the valet staff for their excellent customer service. They always addressed me by name and made sure to ask how my stay was going and if I needed anything, Additionally, they provided good dining recommendations, complimentary beverages, and assisted me with checking out a bike for my Saturday morning ride all with a smile.
I did use the spa during my stay. While some issues with malfunctioning equipment forced me to come back two hours after my scheduled appointment time, the staff apologized and comped the service. Peter even wrote me a personal apology and provided a nice surprise to acknowledge the inconvenience.
The calming decor of this property was a nice change from the usual bold decor of several Kimptons in which I have stayed. The staff provided excellent customer service throughout my two day stay. I look forward to returning and experiencing the Lorien hospitality on a future visit to the DC area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Travelgirl1874,

It was my pleasure to assist you prior to your arrival with your restaurant on shopping requests. I am glad you enjoyed your arrival amenity and lovely suite. Thank you for taking the opportunity to recognize the efforts of our Front Desk and Valet team members; I was so happy to share your feedback with them. I am sorry your spa appointment was delayed, but I am not surprised that our staff took great care of you.

I wish I had the chance to meet you during this visit, but I am sure I will do so on your next trip to Alexandria.

Cordially,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!