“Very quaint great service awesome wine reception!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Sweet Suite Deal
Ranked #1 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Very quaint great service awesome wine reception!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here twice in one month- it looked great online and even better in person
The service was excellent, rooms are very comfortable the beds were great as well. I loved the wine reception, great wines and little gourmet pizzas. It's a great value and location. Plus the restaurant were very good. I plan to stay there with my kids and take the train to DC, the station is 5 min away. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed January 2013
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Beckyponce,

I am glad we gave you enough reasons to come back for a second stay in the same month! I suppose wine is always a good reason, but it’s nice to see you enjoyed your guest room accommodations, our two restaurants, as well as our proximity to the Metro station on King St.

We look forward to welcoming you and your kids soon,

840 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My family of four stayed in this hotel in January 2013, during inauguration weekend. Alexandria is a charming place to stay, with a high concentration of lovely shops and restaurants, and this hotel offers easy access to the metro for those who want to go into D.C. The room and bathroom were clean and very nicely appointed. The staff was friendly and helpful--David showed us to our rooms and gave us tips about what to see in Alexandria. When another bellman/valet discovered that we were heading for the free shuttle stop on a Sunday morning, he made the extra effort to run down the block after us to tell us that the shuttle would not start running until later in the morning. We enjoyed dinner at Brabo Tasting Room. We did not have a reservation and arrived for dinner at around 8:00 on a busy weekend--the maitre d' arranged for the four of us to squeeze into a corner table so that our hungry children would not have to endure a 45 minute wait.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Hello 505travelwithfamily,

Thank you for choosing to spend Inauguration weekend with us. I am glad you made good use of the Metro to head up to DC for all the events, and that you enjoyed all Alexandria has to offer as well. I appreciate your comments about David, and was so happy to share them with him. I only wish I knew which one of my sprinter bellman/valets caught up to you in regards to the shuttle; I would like to give him a gold medal!

We hope to see you again before another four years pass,

Colorado Springs CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this propery for a weekend get-a-way in January 2013. I had called ahead to request assistance with a reservation at Restaurant Eve, as well as recommendations for boutique shopping in the area. Not only did Thomas handle my requests promptly via phone, he left two lovely notes with his recommendations in my room along with my Inner Circle welcome amenity. As if that was not enough, he upgraded me to the calming one bedroom suite with private terrace and excellent views of Old Town Alexandria! In addition to Thomas, I would like to recognize Shane, John, Peter, Tiffani, and the valet staff for their excellent customer service. They always addressed me by name and made sure to ask how my stay was going and if I needed anything, Additionally, they provided good dining recommendations, complimentary beverages, and assisted me with checking out a bike for my Saturday morning ride all with a smile.
I did use the spa during my stay. While some issues with malfunctioning equipment forced me to come back two hours after my scheduled appointment time, the staff apologized and comped the service. Peter even wrote me a personal apology and provided a nice surprise to acknowledge the inconvenience.
The calming decor of this property was a nice change from the usual bold decor of several Kimptons in which I have stayed. The staff provided excellent customer service throughout my two day stay. I look forward to returning and experiencing the Lorien hospitality on a future visit to the DC area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Travelgirl1874,

It was my pleasure to assist you prior to your arrival with your restaurant on shopping requests. I am glad you enjoyed your arrival amenity and lovely suite. Thank you for taking the opportunity to recognize the efforts of our Front Desk and Valet team members; I was so happy to share your feedback with them. I am sorry your spa appointment was delayed, but I am not surprised that our staff took great care of you.

I wish I had the chance to meet you during this visit, but I am sure I will do so on your next trip to Alexandria.

Cordially,

burnleys, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed at this property twice last month and found the service to be excellent and the room comfortable.

I checked in just after the usual Kimpton wine and cheese moment in the evening but the front desk had my choice of wine waiting on my return from dropping bags in the room.

Nice outdoor fire pit area off the lobby, comfy sofa in the "living room" and a pair of good restaurant choices. I ate at the casual one and the food is great and reasonable priced for the quality/quantity. One night enjoying the cheese plate and the other some of their specialty mussels. Drinks a bit pricey and I had to teach the bar "tender" the "Hot Toddy" ingredients so some work to be done here.

Valet parking only viable option as street parking is non-existant, nice Valets (Thanks Mr. T).

Rooms are spacious (I had a regular room one stay and a suite the other), clean bathrooms, carpets I was not afraid to walk on without socks. Fairly minimalist by Kimpton standards, I was pleased.

Overall good location with limited parking, really spot on service, and tasty food options. Beats the heck out of rather generic chain locations nearby.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Peter D, Front Office Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Hello doc_skid,

It is great to see that you have already enjoyed multiple visits with us. Our Front Desk team tries to ensure every guest takes advantage of wine hour as it is a long standing Kimpton tradition. The fire pit off of the living room provides a unique environment for everyone to enjoy. Thank you as well for the comments regarding our valet team and the rooms. I believe the sockless approach is the best way to go as well. So much more comfortable!

See you soon,

Pete
delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

A frequent hotel traveler who is hard to please- found this hotel great and one I will for sure go back to again. Clean, well appointed rooms with a great staff. I arrived after midnight- and the staff was prompt, inviting, polite and professional. There wasn't a bait and switch after you leave the lobby and head to your room. The rooms were clean and the bed was so comfortable. I would recommend this hotel for business and romance. A great location in the heart of the Old Town. Enjoy-

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear squaregirl,

Your comments are a true testament to everything we strive to achieve. I am glad you discovered us and now know you can return for business or pleasure. If you did not have a chance this time, be sure to check out the rest of Old Town for all it has to offer! I look forward to your next visit.

Thanks,

Pete
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed here for a night away from the city and had a fantastic experience.I was instantly upgraded as a member of the kimpton 'in touch' program,all the staff were amazing and helpful and I really did feel relaxed the whole time I was there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello magr12ag,

I appreciate the comments regarding the staff and glad you fully engage in our Kimpton InTouch program. It truly does provide benefits that make a travelers stay more comfortable. I certainly hope you have the opportunity to join us again soon but for more than just one night!

Regards,

Peter
Dumfries, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

From the moment we pulled up at the valet for arrival to the minute we left, the service was outstanding. Everyone in the hotel and spa went out of their way to greet us and provide assistance, and all of our little requests (e.g., extra towels) were met quickly and with a smile. Our room was a deluxe King rainshower room, and it felt very open and relaxing. The bathroom was beautiful, and the shower was easily big enough for about 6 people. Everything was modern and felt very clean. The only strange thing was that every sound in the bathroom was amplified about ten times; maybe this is due to the shower and wouldn't be the case in other rooms. Other than that, there is nothing we could possibly find fault with.

Room Tip: Deluxe King rainshower room has a HUGE shower instead of tub, but sounds in bathroom are greatly amp...