“Serene environment with excellent customer service” 5 of 5 stars

Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Colorado Springs CO
“Serene environment with excellent customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this propery for a weekend get-a-way in January 2013. I had called ahead to request assistance with a reservation at Restaurant Eve, as well as recommendations for boutique shopping in the area. Not only did Thomas handle my requests promptly via phone, he left two lovely notes with his recommendations in my room along with my Inner Circle welcome amenity. As if that was not enough, he upgraded me to the calming one bedroom suite with private terrace and excellent views of Old Town Alexandria! In addition to Thomas, I would like to recognize Shane, John, Peter, Tiffani, and the valet staff for their excellent customer service. They always addressed me by name and made sure to ask how my stay was going and if I needed anything, Additionally, they provided good dining recommendations, complimentary beverages, and assisted me with checking out a bike for my Saturday morning ride all with a smile.
I did use the spa during my stay. While some issues with malfunctioning equipment forced me to come back two hours after my scheduled appointment time, the staff apologized and comped the service. Peter even wrote me a personal apology and provided a nice surprise to acknowledge the inconvenience.
The calming decor of this property was a nice change from the usual bold decor of several Kimptons in which I have stayed. The staff provided excellent customer service throughout my two day stay. I look forward to returning and experiencing the Lorien hospitality on a future visit to the DC area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Travelgirl1874,

It was my pleasure to assist you prior to your arrival with your restaurant on shopping requests. I am glad you enjoyed your arrival amenity and lovely suite. Thank you for taking the opportunity to recognize the efforts of our Front Desk and Valet team members; I was so happy to share your feedback with them. I am sorry your spa appointment was delayed, but I am not surprised that our staff took great care of you.

I wish I had the chance to meet you during this visit, but I am sure I will do so on your next trip to Alexandria.

Cordially,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
burnleys, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed at this property twice last month and found the service to be excellent and the room comfortable.

I checked in just after the usual Kimpton wine and cheese moment in the evening but the front desk had my choice of wine waiting on my return from dropping bags in the room.

Nice outdoor fire pit area off the lobby, comfy sofa in the "living room" and a pair of good restaurant choices. I ate at the casual one and the food is great and reasonable priced for the quality/quantity. One night enjoying the cheese plate and the other some of their specialty mussels. Drinks a bit pricey and I had to teach the bar "tender" the "Hot Toddy" ingredients so some work to be done here.

Valet parking only viable option as street parking is non-existant, nice Valets (Thanks Mr. T).

Rooms are spacious (I had a regular room one stay and a suite the other), clean bathrooms, carpets I was not afraid to walk on without socks. Fairly minimalist by Kimpton standards, I was pleased.

Overall good location with limited parking, really spot on service, and tasty food options. Beats the heck out of rather generic chain locations nearby.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Peter D, Front Office Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Hello doc_skid,

It is great to see that you have already enjoyed multiple visits with us. Our Front Desk team tries to ensure every guest takes advantage of wine hour as it is a long standing Kimpton tradition. The fire pit off of the living room provides a unique environment for everyone to enjoy. Thank you as well for the comments regarding our valet team and the rooms. I believe the sockless approach is the best way to go as well. So much more comfortable!

See you soon,

Pete
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

A frequent hotel traveler who is hard to please- found this hotel great and one I will for sure go back to again. Clean, well appointed rooms with a great staff. I arrived after midnight- and the staff was prompt, inviting, polite and professional. There wasn't a bait and switch after you leave the lobby and head to your room. The rooms were clean and the bed was so comfortable. I would recommend this hotel for business and romance. A great location in the heart of the Old Town. Enjoy-

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear squaregirl,

Your comments are a true testament to everything we strive to achieve. I am glad you discovered us and now know you can return for business or pleasure. If you did not have a chance this time, be sure to check out the rest of Old Town for all it has to offer! I look forward to your next visit.

Thanks,

Pete
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed here for a night away from the city and had a fantastic experience.I was instantly upgraded as a member of the kimpton 'in touch' program,all the staff were amazing and helpful and I really did feel relaxed the whole time I was there.

Hello magr12ag,

I appreciate the comments regarding the staff and glad you fully engage in our Kimpton InTouch program. It truly does provide benefits that make a travelers stay more comfortable. I certainly hope you have the opportunity to join us again soon but for more than just one night!

Regards,

Peter
Dumfries, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

From the moment we pulled up at the valet for arrival to the minute we left, the service was outstanding. Everyone in the hotel and spa went out of their way to greet us and provide assistance, and all of our little requests (e.g., extra towels) were met quickly and with a smile. Our room was a deluxe King rainshower room, and it felt very open and relaxing. The bathroom was beautiful, and the shower was easily big enough for about 6 people. Everything was modern and felt very clean. The only strange thing was that every sound in the bathroom was amplified about ten times; maybe this is due to the shower and wouldn't be the case in other rooms. Other than that, there is nothing we could possibly find fault with.

Room Tip: Deluxe King rainshower room has a HUGE shower instead of tub, but sounds in bathroom are greatly amp...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Clare F,

I was thrilled to note you received excellent and timely service from start to finish, and with a smile! I am glad you enjoyed your rain shower bathroom, but I am sorry you experienced some noise issues. This is the first time I have received such a comment, but I will have my Engineering team trouble shoot in those types of rooms.

We look forward to your next visit,

nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

we had a wonderful time here - whatever time we spent in the room - DC's too much fun (especially inaugaration weekend) to stay indoors ----- this was a very nice, quiet, clean, pretty hotel - the staff was very nice - no problems at all - the room was perfect for us .... however reading others' reviews i could see complaints about the room size - it was small - the bathroom was big however - no problems, there --- but if you need room to stretch out, do work, do more than lay in bed and watch TV - then either go for a bigger room or look for a "suite" hotel ... like i said for what we needed it was perfect ..... my only other complaint might be a lack of a vending machine to buy non-mini-bar-priced soda's and couldn't locate an ice machine ... on the plus side -- the room for inaugaration weekend was priced better than most hotels that were gouging people and their "add-a-buck for parking special" was appreciated since we drove there .... all in all a very nice place and if you can get a deal on the price, even better ... also walking distance to the metro which is a big plus

Hello joisey-joe,

I think it is fabulous that you were able to come down and enjoy all the excitement and historical aspects of attending Inauguration. I am sure you quickly discovered how easy it is to get up to DC on the Metro system, which has a stop just 2 blocks from the hotel. As you indicated we do offer varying sized room types, at different price points. We do not offer vending machines, but for your convenience of not having to leave your room, we deliver ice upon request.

Hopefully we will see you before the next Inauguration,

Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I couldn't imagine driving back to Baltimore after an even that was scheduled to start at 10 pm and end at 2 am, so I looked for a room in Old Town Alexandria and found a gem. I love the Kimpton Hotels so I was confident this one would be great. I wasn't disappointed. The room was sweet, the service was fantastic, and the price was right. I couldn't take advantage of the spa this time but will definitely schedule a get-away to do so sometime in the future. Walking thru the streets of Old Town Alexandria on a sunny Sunday morning made it even more special!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Hi Enjoyedtheday,

Thank you for choosing us for your late night crash pad. Something ending at 2am has to be difficult to recover from, but you chose the right place. I am glad you enjoyed your Sunday morning stroll along King Street. We look forward to welcoming you back soon, and be sure to squeeze in a wonderful treatment at our Spa.

Cordially,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!