“Stellar” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Stellar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Wonderful hotel experience: Friendly and welcoming staff, amazing food and beverage, and impressive customer service. Plus, there is a welcome wine hour! I have stayed at Kiptons before and highly recommend this hotel/location. All around fantastic!

Room Tip: If you are not bringing a pet, ask for a quiet room. I overheard one couple asking for a quiet room...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear SPJ3335,

I was pleased to note you enjoyed the food & beverage offerings from our restaurant BRABO, and that you received friendly and helpful service from our entire staff. I appreciate your loyalty to Kimpton Hotels and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Cordially,

841 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Darien
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay at the Lorien Hotel and Spa. The hotel is ideally situated in the heart of the Alexandria, VA with a very efficient in/out car valet service. The usual Kimpton touches make for a very enjoyable stay and free wifi for InTouch members is a nice perk. We had a couple of very minor requests which were met very efficiently. Rooms are of a decent size and the Spa while small was very pleasant. Wine tasting hour is made even more pleasant with the outdoor fire. Room for improvement is minor and hotel is highly recommended. I am in the travel business and travel a lot and I would definately return.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have balconies. Very pleasant especially during Spring and Fall.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear BlueTravler30,

I am glad you enjoyed our location on King Street which makes it easy to walk to all the shops and restaurants and the Metro rail towards DC. It was nice to note you had the chance to experience the spa as well as our evening wine tasting, especially by the outdoor fire pit.

We hope to see you again soon,

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here on two ocassions over the course of the holiday break this year, and both stays were unbelievable. From the valet guys to the front desk staff to the maids, everyone was very friendly and often helpful.

We showed up a family of four and golden retriever and enough luggage to give the impression we were staying longer than the day or two we actually were there. The first stop, I had left various knickknacks in the car. As my wife mentioned this with the valet guy (wish I had asked his name, though they were all great) in ear shot, he immediately asked if we wanted him to go get anything from the car for us. I've never had a hotel employee offer to do anything of the sort. I was caught off guard, but took him up on his offer and was tremendously thankful as we were trying to wrestle up our three and one year old so we could head out to the museums.

At night we were given some solid dining advice, again from another of the valet guys. This turned out to pay off as it was close, the food was decent and most of all the boys enjoyed it. The next morning I was given quick directions to a nearby park (just make aright on Harvard and walk to the end of the block) to walk the dog.

You can't ask for much more in a hotel. It's family friendly, pet friendly, 2 blocks from the King Street Metro, coffee shops with in spitting distance, all of downtown Alexandria just a 15 minute walk away, great size rooms, amazingly friendly staff and the price was more than right.

I had never heard of Kimpton hotels, and I am not sure if all are as great as The Lorien, but whether we are back in DC or elsewhere, we will always search out Kimpton's as our first choice going forward.

Room Tip: After reading a few reviews about noise level in some areas, I was sure to ask for a quiet room. Th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear acbrophy,

I was thrilled that you found us to be perfect for your family and your golden retriever, starting off with the unexpected assistance from our valet, and a good dining recommendation. I am glad you made good use of our location just two blocks from the Metro in order to get up into DC to see the museums.

We look forward to your next visit at the Lorien and appreciate you searching out Kimpton Hotels wherever you travel.

Cordially,

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My son lives in Alexandria, so I wanted to be close, but worried with finding a place that would allow 2 pets. I have a newfoundland and maltipoo. There was NO pet fee and they accept any number of pets and size. You would never know this hotel allowed pets because it was spotless. The staff was excellent! One of the best hotels I've stayed. The dining room was also great! Thanks for a stress-free experience. Only downside was the bathroom door, lacks privacy.

Hello carol k,

I am glad you discovered the Lorien Hotel & Spa so we could provide you and your dogs with a hotel near to your son in Alexandria. I am pleased you found the hotel to be extremely clean and our staff to be very accommodating. I am sorry the modern design of the bathroom door did not provide you with enough privacy.

We hope to see you again when you come to visit to your son,

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My Husband and I decided to make our 2012 Summer get away a trip to our Nation's Capital and stayed in the Lorien for 3 nights. We could not have asked for a better experience. The staff was fantastic, accomodating and very knowledgeable about the areas best restaurants, bars and tourist destinations. The hotel was beautiful, rooms spacious and well appointed! Coming from seasoned business traveller having stayed in some of the best hotel brands in the world, we have chosen Kimpton Hotels for our next business trip when available....You will not be disappointed with service, price and accomodations!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear 665KAW,

Thanks for choosing the Lorien Hotel & Spa for your visit to DC. As I am sure you discovered it is a quick two block walk from the hotel to the Metro which is then just a quick ride up to the sights in DC. I am glad you found our staff to be helpful with making recommendations on where to go, and that you enjoyed the size and décor of your guest room.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Lexington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I was traveling on my own and felt right at home. The staff was so helpful and I felt so well looked after. The security were great also. It felt like I had plenty of big brothers to look after me while I was away from my family and in a new city. The staff were really helpful in offering suggestions on where to go and visit as well as to call if I was lost and they would send a car for me.
The room was spacious and luxurious. I felt like the queen especially when I got in and there was a glass of wine waiting for me aswell as other guests at a certain time. The food was awesome too! The Brabo tasting room was my favorite with a great artisan cheeses that includes homemade marmalades. It was wonderful. So laid back and easy to sit on your own and watch the chefs at work. It seemed like it was a place for locals also.
A wonderful experience. I look forward to staying here again when I travel to Washington DC next time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Hello triotrois,

I was thrilled our staff made you feel right at home, comfortable and safe too; all important when traveling to a new city. I am glad you had the opportunity to experience our BRABO Tasting Room and sample their cheeses amongst other items.

We look forward to your next trip to DC,

Somerville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Lorien for one night and it was great! I got a good deal on the room from the Kimpton website as well as breakfast for $1 (and a $10 mini bar credit for being an inTouch member). The location of the hotel is excellent- no need to drive anywhere. We were traveling with our dog and love the Kimptons for being so accommodating and friendly to our pet! I didn't try the spa but the gym was one of the best hotel gyms I've used- the equipment is top notch and clean and they even have yoga mats and resistance bands. We loved the free wine hour at 5pm also. We ordered room service for dinner (the weather was terrible so we decided to stay in) and it was probably the best room service we've ever ordered. All our meat was cooked to temp and the service was quick and friendly. For breakfast we used our $1 coupons and got the continental breakfast (yogurt, granola, fruit, bread, coffee) and then added on some eggs for an additional cost. My only complaint was that there didn't seem to be enough valets working- we called down for a luggage cart and it never came so we carried all our bags down ourselves- the valet said he hadn't had time to come up to get our stuff. This isn't really a huge deal except that they don't make the carts readily available for guests to use so it was a hassle carrying our stuff plus our 6 month old puppy and her crate etc. down ourselves. Overall a fabulous hotel and we will definitely stay at the Lorien next time we're in Alexandria!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Champagne512,

I am glad you enjoyed our workout facilities and found that we were very accommodating to your puppy. I am sorry we may not have been staffed appropriately with our Valets on the morning of your departure. We certainly would prefer to do all the work, since you were our guests. Thanks for the high marks regarding your Room Service experience; I am glad you were able to keep warm that evening.

We look forward to your next visit,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!