“Loved the Lorien!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Redwood City, CA
“Loved the Lorien!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Just returned from a fantastic stay at the Lorien. We were only there one evening but will definitely be back. Excellent value for this prime location in Old Town Alexandria.

We were given a very large room on the 5th floor overlooking King St. Windows on three sides of the room so it was incredibly bright and cheerful even on a drizzly December day. After returning from shopping we were surprised to find a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine and some chocolate covered strawberries. A wonderful surprise and such a classy touch.

Be sure and try Brabo, either the restaurant or the tasting bar. We've eaten here several times and it is always fantastic with perfect service.

Staff here, like every Kimpton we stay in, were exceptional. Friendly, helpful, and very professional. I highly recommend this property!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the front corner of the hotel (502 for example) as they are so bright and cheery!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear 1Maggie,

I am glad you enjoyed all the natural light provided by all the windows in your guest room, and that you were delighted by the sparkling wine and strawberries. Thank you for sharing that you find our staff to be friendly, and that your experiences in BRABO or the Tasting Room are always top notch.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Athens, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

The Lorien is an upscale hotel in Alexandria that is two blocks from the Metro that can take you into DC for touring or business so that you not have to drive into the district or even need to rent a car if you are flying into Regan National as it is only a couple of stops from the hotel. The Lorien is on King Street which is one of the main streets in Old Town Alexandria but the hotel is set back off the street so road noise is not an issue. Our room a King Deluxe was well appointed and spacious with our only concern being the fact the well sized bathroom did not have a place to put your toiletries despite the fact there was plenty of open space. The staff was friendly and helpful and the mangers reception a nice way to end the day.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Gymdawgfan,

It was nice to note you benefitted from our location just two blocks from the Metro station to get to DC and Reagan National airport. I am glad you enjoyed a peaceful stay with our hotel being set back off the street and buffered by our beautiful courtyard. I am sorry the bathroom counter in your room didn’t offer ample space for your toiletries.

We look forward to your next visit,

new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was my third trip to the Lorien. I always look forward to the most comfortable bed ever found in a hotel. I treated myself to the hydrating facial...the best facial I have ever experienced. i love the Brabbo restaurant for the great breakfasts and dinner. i feel so pampered when I visit this hotel.

Room Tip: I travel with a girlfriend and get the room with the 2 queen beds. The Lorien is on historic King St...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hello travelbuddy54_10,

I am thrilled you find our beds to be the most comfortable out of any hotel you have stayed in, and I am glad you had the time to enjoy BRABO once again. I have shared your praise about the facial you received, with Matthew our Spa Director.

We look forward to your 4th visit,

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed here for a 3 day visit to DC and it was a great decision. The price was very reasonable, especially compared to staying in DC proper.
Upon arrival, the staff was extremely friendly and attentive. We parked on the street nearby and I had a question about the street signs and they actually ran out of the hotel to check on my car.
The hotel and room were spotless. The room is very modern with comfy beds and a flat screen computer where you get all of your hotel info and can order room service.
We came back very late one night and there was no where to eat and they whipped us up some sandwiches and salads.
The only design detail I found strange was the sliding bathroom door. If you are staying with friends, not family, you have to warn them not to burst in on you.
The neighborhood was quaint and historic, with cute shops, old pubs and good restaurants all around. I am so glad I stayed because I would never have seen Alexandria otherwise. It was a great contrast to the cold, touristy, metropolitan feel of DC.
Based on the recommendation of the staff we left our car at the hotel and took the metro to DC. It was close by and an easy trip.
In the afternoons there is a free wine tasting with gourmet snacks, which was a very welcome treat.
The Lorien, like all Kimpton hotels are dog friendly and quite a few people had their furry friends with them. The staff was really good with everyone's pets.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone going to DC. It's clean, friendly and easily accessible in a great neighborhood. Plus, the price is right!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear NYCjetsetter-girl,

Thanks for choosing the Lorien for your 3 day getaway, which gave you the opportunity to experience Alexandria, which is especially wonderful this time of year. I was pleased to note you enjoyed your comfortable and clean room, and I am sorry if the bathroom door was a little too modern. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our close proximity to the Metro station to head into DC.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Sterling, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Excellent Boutique Hotel in the middle of beautiful Old Town Alexandria. the Staff couldn't do enough to make sure that I had an excellent visit. The room was very modern but comfortable, meticulous and relaxing. Between the staff, the hotel, the location and the relaxed atmosphere - I almost didn't want to go home. For those of you who travel for work, I know you know what I mean!!

Be sure to visit the Lorien; they have really thought of everything. The gym is great, they provide jogging maps if you want to go for a run (I used it). They probably would have sent someone to jog with me, if I asked :). They have internet access in room (monitor, usb hookups, mini-frig (not overpriced). If you forgot something, they have everything right there for you to use (for free). They have a wine and appetizer event every evening at 5, they have a nice fire pit in the back courtyard. Seriously, they have thought of everything...

With the price of my hotel room I was able to add $1 for parking. If I wanted I could have added $1 for breakfast. Really worth the value...just great!

Room Tip: Ask the staff, I'm sure they'll tell you...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hello andil64,

Yes, I could have gone jogging with you, seriously! I love to run, and especially in Old Town where you can exercise and sight see simultaneously. I am glad you enjoyed all the amenities the hotel has to offer, especially the relaxed atmosphere that is created.

We look forward to your next visit,

Jacksonville, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Well of course the Smithsonian and White House rank up there but this place is an oasis unto itself. The people have always been (4th time here) super and so very gracious and accomodating. I love the hotel - the rooms - the fire pit - the staff - the wine tasting room - everything about it! Haven't done the spa yet but that's for girls weekend in a few months here!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Lisa P,

I like the oasis comparison. Thanks! I am thrilled you enjoy so many aspects of our hotel, but most importantly, that you receive such wonderful service from our staff. Our Spa is ready whenever you are.

See you soon,

Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

On a recent trip to Washington, DC, for a training course, I sustained an eye injury. My husband remembered reading that the hotel had a doctor on call. He contacted the front desk and told them the situation, and the staff immediately went to work in locating an ophthalmologist. As a result, we were able to see an eye specialist that morning who informed me that I had a very “nasty abrasion”. As a result of the hotel's quick response, I was able to get back to class by mid-day allowing me to finish the course without having to return at a later time. That was, of course, secondary to my health and well-being which, thanks to the hotel staff, resulted in my complete recovery by week’s end. I cannot thank the Lorien enough for their quick intervention. Yes, the amenities are great and can't be beat. What I will remember, though, is the staff's quick response to my emergency. Again, thank you Lorien and staff.

Room Tip: I've stayed towards the middle of the hallway and then two end rooms. I prefer the end rooms as...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear CBofNC,

I am relieved your eye has fully recovered from the abrasion you sustained, and that our staff reacted quickly enough to make a difference. As much as we would like to see you again soon, I am glad you were able to complete your training course during this visit.

We hope to see you again soon,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!