“Nice break - good location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington, DC
“Nice break - good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The hotel is in a good location in the heart of Old Town. It's very close to the metro and right on the King St. trolly path. Our room was nice - a Lorien Terrace suite. Very contemporary design and soothing colors. Even though it was too cold to use the balcony, the doors let a lot of light into the rooms. In nice weather, I think these rooms would be worth the extra money. However, I'd be careful about which suite you book - our only disappointment was a very loud group in the suite next to us that was up until 3. Since the terrace space is essentially shared (low railing separating them), you could be sharing the space with a large/loud group. We had small children with us and they didn't end up sleeping very well due to the noise.
I'd go back to the hotel, but if I stayed in a suite again, I'd be sure to ask if there is a group next door.
Three notes with kids: unlike a few other kimpton properties, the Lorien didn't have the cute kids bags at check-in. Not a big deal, but they are a fun treat for the children. The hot chocolate in the lounge in the morning was a huge hit with the little ones! There is also an outstanding childrens book store directly across the street from the hotel.

Room Tip: 6th floor rooms offer a nice view. If you stay in a suite, inquire about groups that might be nearb...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear AGF11,

I am glad you enjoyed our ideal location on King Street just two blocks from the Metro stop. I am sorry about the late night noise from the connecting suite, and wish that your children could have had as good a night’s sleep as you did. Please accept my apologies for your children not receiving a kid’s bag at check-in, but hope they had fun choosing something from our kid’s treasure chest, which is what we do here instead. I am glad they enjoyed the morning hot chocolate, and of course we have hot cider in the evening as well.

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed for a weekend getaway and enjoyed the upscale, contemporary, and clean accommodations as well as the professional service and attention to detail. Location is walking distance to Old Town shops and restaurants, metro, and Amtrak. No car required. I usually stay at 5- star hotels when traveling so I was unsure what to expect. The Lorien exceeded all expectations!

• Stayed November 2012
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear SLW0815,

I am glad you had a 5-star visit and enjoyed the style and cleanliness of the hotel, in addition to the excellent service you received. I am pleased you were able to take advantage of our ideal location on King Street.

We await your next getaway,

US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I put my parents up at this hotel recently. There are so many things we were pleased with. First, the location is very near the King Street Metro. Also, on the weekend, there's a free King Street shuttle/trolley that takes you up and down King Street, which is loaded with shops and restaurants. Second, we arrived just in time to take advantage of the nightly happy hour. It's very classy and relaxing, wine and hot cider (which you could make into "adult" cider)...perfect for a chilly evening. Third, the decor is modern yet comfortable. The in-room computer, with internet access for In Touch members, is also great. They had breakfast included, which was minimal but tasty and sufficient if you don't need a huge breakfast. Finally, the staff was wonderful. We were greated by Shane/Showtime, who provided us with everything we needed to know in a welcoming, fun manner. I will definitely stay here again and would highly recommend this hotel. It'd be great for exploring DC in style without putting up with the congestion of downtown. Also a convenient stayover for DCA/Reagan airport. I look forward to trying out their spa!

Room Tip: The bathroom doors in the room are an awesome hung glass and they're not flush with the wall...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear dani42379,

I am so thrilled you and your parents enjoyed all that the Lorien has to offer, such as our evening wine hour, complete with “adult” cider, our modern décor, and our great location near the Metro. I have already shared your comments with “Showtime” from the Front Desk.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Was in Alexandria,VA., on a business trip and stayed at the Lorien hotel and spa for two nights and have to say the Kimpton group always get it right. Had an enjoyable stay with exempletory service. Looking forward to going back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear travegoddess21,

I am thrilled our service was the standout during your recent experience at the Lorien Hotel & Spa.

Stormstown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed at the Lorien earlier this year and had such a fabulous time that I didn't think about booking anywhere else for our return trip to DC. Everything about the hotel is superb - great vibe, excellent location, phenomenal staff and service, pristine room and most importantly - a lusciously snuggly bed.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have lovely light.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear sseybert,

I am glad we stayed top of mind when you booked your return visit to the DC area. I am glad you enjoyed the ambiance, our location near Metro, and our fabulously comfortable bed.

See you again soon,

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed here in August as a special weekend away with my wife before leaving on long business trip. I had called ahead of time and spoke with Mitch, he ensured that our arrvial was seamless and he went out of his way to ensure that our stay was comfortable and memorable. The front desk was helpful in local recommendations, the valet staff was professional and when I got a flat tire changed it for me and found a local shop where I was able to get it repaired. Again, I can't recommend this hotel highly enough, it is due to the great service of employees like Mitch that will make us repeat customers. We're planning on coming back for our anniversary - thank you for exceeding all expectations.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with the rooms here.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear PhilA6981,

I am so pleased that Mitch assisted you prior to your arrival to ensure you had a fabulous experience. I am glad you found our Front Desk staff to be helpful with recommendations for things in Alexandria, and that our team assisted you with repairing your unfortunate flat tire.

We look forward to your anniversary visit (or perhaps prior!),

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Wonderful Kimpton hotel just a few blocks away from the King St Metro station. Quiet clean, and great staff. Easy walking access to all that Old Town Alexandria has to offer, and just a short metro train ride to Reagan airport and DC! Tried the Brabo restaurant, bar and tasting room; all of which were excellent. Had a massage at the spa and again had an excellent experience. All staff were friendly professional and polite throughout the hotel. This place/staff has their game together! Try room 301 for lots of space and a private and relaxing experience.

Room Tip: Room 301 is an awesome space with a large private balcony and no common walls!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear kg90036,

Thank you for indulging in all we have to offer! I am glad you had a wonderful spa experience, and excellent cuisine and drinks in BRABO and our other food & beverage outlets. I was nice to note you made the most of our location just two blocks from the King Street Metro stop to pop into DC and to leave from Reagan.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!