“Classy hotel, exceptional staff” 5 of 5 stars

Sweet Suite Deal
Ranked #1 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Kingsport, Tennessee
“Classy hotel, exceptional staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

What a great place to stay! The hotel itself is elegant and well appointed, with clean rooms, comfortable beds and soft linens, but what really distinguishes the Lorien is its staff. They were friendly and helpful and treated us like royalty even though we arrived looking flustered and disheveled with multiple bags, baskets, and random items for my daughter's wedding. They patiently assisted us and were always pleasant and helpful. When we needed some special help on the morning of our departure, they went above and beyond to make it possible. I can't recommend this hotel highly enough. I've stayed in beautiful hotels all over the world, but it isn't easy to find the combination of class, luxury, courtesy, and attention that the Lorien offers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Dear Marie B,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during the very special occasion of your daughter’s wedding. I was pleased to note you enjoyed our décor and amenities, but especially that you found our staff to be most helpful during your no doubt action packed visit. I was thrilled to share your feedback with our staff.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon,

854 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

The Lorien was host to a number of locals during the mass power outages after “Derechonator” 2012, including my family. I’ve recommended this hotel to friends and family in the past, so I already knew that it was quite nice. It’s in a great location near the King Street Metro station, only two stops from National airport and an easy commute to Washington, DC. The hotel is very well maintained. It has all the gadgets, power outlets, USB connections and wireless connectivity a business traveler might want, as well as a quaint exterior, tasteful décor, good restaurants, on-premises spa, and good proximity to local attractions.

All of which is very nice, but for local refugees and our pets what counted most was the warm welcome the hotel gave us. They didn’t even comment on our early arrival (or disheveled appearance), and allowed us to extend our reservation without penalty for early checkout if our power was restored. They handed out drink and breakfast coupons, and provided dog beds and water bowls. And, when other hotels in the area raised their rates in response to the high demand, the Lorien kept their usual rates in place.

As it happened, the hotel itself lost power shortly after we checked in. All of the staff on duty (especially Tiffani, who checked us in and stayed past her shift to help out) did an amazing job making the guests as comfortable as possible, even if it wasn’t “their” job. The desk staff, the valets - even the spa manager - shuttled cool drinks and ice cream to guests congregating in the lobby and on the patio, kept everyone’s spirits up, and provided updates on the outage as soon as new information came in. Fortunately the outage only lasted a few hours.

This is a great place to stay under any circumstances, but the hotel really excelled in this less-than-ideal situation. I’d recommend the Lorien to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mary F,

I am pleased we could provide you with some relief from heat during the unfortunate power outages. Thank you for taking the time to recognize our staff, especially Tiffani, for their efforts to make everyone as comfortable as possible. I am glad you enjoy our location and all the amenities we have to offer.

We look forward to your next visit when it is under better circumstances,

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Great stay and under potentially bad circumstances.

The property is new, clean, and well-equipped with guest room amenities. What distinguished the Lorien, however, was the staff. At first, they were courteous and accommodating, and perhaps a tad too chipper when my family and many other local Dominion Power refugees checked in for a respite from record temps and no electricity at home. When the hotel itself lost power, however, they went into full on, bending over backwards mode to keep us happy and as comfortable as possible under the circumstances. The entire staff: front desk, valets, restaurant, and spa attendants, indulged us with patio F&B service, including for our pets, and added ice cream to the evening's wine bar happy hour.

Power came back on that evening, but they had me at, "May I bring some water for your dog?"

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear JimTwain,

Thank you so much for taking the time to recognize the efforts of our team members who provided you and so many others without a power, a place to cool down and an opportunity to relax. I am sorry our power went out, but this was a result of the power grid we sit on being taken off line so repairs could be made to bring power back to other customers. I am glad you enjoyed the “beefed up” wine hour and it was great to note that we didn’t forget about your dog.

We look forward to your next visit, and for all concerned, under better circumstances,

Little Silver, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Absolutely a great stay. The Lorien's staff is polite, respectful, and simply wonderful. I was there for business but my family also came. The hotel room was tastefully decorated and confortable however the bathroom sliding door did not close and the AC was constantly blowing on the bed. Despite this, the bed was confortable and the hotel was very quiet. the hotel staff went out of their way to accomodate my family and find a nearby pool for my daughter to swim. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear SunSonia,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our staff, which I was thrilled to share with the team. I am glad you enjoyed our décor and found the bed to be comfortable. I am sorry about the sliding bathroom door not operating properly and the AC keeping you too cool in this heat.

We hope to see you back soon,

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I just checked in today after being without power in 100 degree heat, and, so far, this place has been amazing. I was frantically calling around trying to find a hotel with power that accepted pets - they were happy to welcome myself and my cat on short notice and even brought him his own litter box. The staff has been extremely nice and accommodating and the room itself is quite nice. The free Wifi is also most appreciated. I would definitely recommend this location. The parking is quite expensive, but it is so close to the King St metro and other Old Town shops/restaurants that you could easily come without a car.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you may want to request a non-adjoining room. I can hear my doggy neighb...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Steph L,

I am glad we were able to rescue you and your cat from the heat wave, and that you are enjoying your stay with us; not sure if your power is back on and if you were able to return home. I was very pleased to read your comments about our staff and have shared them with everyone. Our location is certainly convenient to the King St. Metro station, which is then a quick trip up to see the sites of DC.

We look forward to your next visit, but hopefully under better circumstances,

Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This hotel was not for me, but some guests might love it. Very clean, helpful and friendly staff. However, our room was tiny---similar to a room you'd find in a NYC boutique hotel. Huge sliding glass door on the bathroom was pretty, but did not provide much privacy if you wanted it. Lots of chrome and glass, decor in cool colors & blacks. Contemporary design.
Location is great for walking distance to shops and restaurants, trolley runs up and down King Street. Could not get a reservation in the spa, which is the main reason I booked this hotel.
$28.00 for two glasses of wine in the courtyard. It is a 100% non-smoking, even in the outdoor area, which might be a negative for smokers, but non smokers will love this policy.
Personally, the atmosphere was too cold for my taste. I did not find it to be comfortable lodging.

Room Tip: Room between dresser and foot of king bed (in our room) was only about 12". Very crowded. No co...
Dear LouisianaLady009,

I am sorry you did not find your room spacious enough; we do offer a variety of room types, some being larger than others. Please accept my apologies for the spa not being able to accommodate your request for an appointment. It does book up quickly, so advanced reservations are certainly recommended. I am glad you enjoyed our convenient location so you could make the most of King Street.

Cordially,

Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

My daughter and I had reservations for a spa weekend. We booked a double/double for our stay. A few weeks later, I recieved an e-mail offering a 20% birthday month discount. I went online to check availablity but decided to call and take advantage of the Kimpton offer. After holding for aout 10 minutes I reached an agent who readily made the room rate change. I recieved an e-mail a few minutes later but the rate stated on it was the original rate.
I immedietly called back, holding for 10 minutes, and reached an agent who told me that the discounted birthday rate was no longer available. I explained what had happened but to no avail. I asked to speak to someone in customer service and was put on hold again for 10 minutes only to have the agent come back on the phone to tell me that there was no customer service agent available but that she would send an e-mail describing the problem and that I should hear back either by phone or e-mail very shortly.
After waiting 30 minutes I called back, waitng 10 minutesagain, and finally reached an agent who put me in touch with a customer service agent, Samantha. Samantha read the e-mail and begrudgingly offered me the discounted birthday rate for the double/double stating that I had misunderstood the offer. I asked her what the misunderstanding was but she was unable to explain.
It seems to me that it was an error on Kimpton's part, number one for making an offer it couldn't provide, number two for keeping a customer on hold for an exorbatant amount of time and number three, not offering an apology for the agent's mistake.

I do love the Lorien and we did have a great stay. I did have to remind the front desk at check in that I was a Kimpton in Touch member but once reminded he did offer the 10 dollar mini bar card. There was no complimentary upgrade. I do love that perk when offered! Kimpton has changed their bathroom products. I can't remember the name of the new company, but it was not up to Kimpton standards at all. The spa is fantastic and Ludmilla always does such a nice facial. You can't beat the location with food and fun just down the street. Thanks, again for a fantastic stay and we look forward to returning.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear pbrenn,

Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced while modifying your guest room reservation. I am sorry this took much longer than it needed to, and that the rate you were requesting was not honored upon your first request. I am following up with our Reservations call center. I was pleased to note you enjoyed your stay and that Ludmilla provided you with an excellent facial in the Lorien Spa. We attempt to upgrade our Kimpton InTouch members whenever possible; I am sorry we were unable to do so this time around.

We hope to see you again soon,

Thomas

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!