“Very comfortable, boutique atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Upgrade Your Stay
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Beaumont, Texas
“Very comfortable, boutique atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Stayed at the Lorien with my adult son while visiting replative in Alexandria. What a bright clean hotel! The staff was very friendly and ready to help. Ice was delivered in less than 5 minutes each time we called (no noisy ice machines in halls). Carpets, bathrooms and public areas were shiny clean.
Restaurant in hotel, Brabo, was elegant and the food tremendous. They have a small courtyard off the library in the lobby with a firepit where we sat and enjoyed some scotch after days of visits with family and waking around Old Town.
The Masonic Temple up the street is visually stunning and the jog from the hotel to the top of the hill on which it sits is both invigorating and has an awesome panoramic view of the town below.
Valet parking is $20/night. King St Metro station is less than 1/3 mile walk.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Dear TaternPops,

I am pleased you and your son enjoyed your visit to Alexandria and the Lorien, and that you found the staff to be friendly and ready to serve your needs. I am glad you had a chance to experience the excellent cuisine and service in Brabo, our restaurant.

We hope you will return again soon.

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

One word..."polished". The modern decor is not my style but it is impeccably done. The staff members are absolutely some of the best I have ever encountered during my significant travels. From the valets to the front desk to the managers and all the staff at Brabo restaurant next door, absolutely world class. The setting for the hotel is outstanding and truly makes you feel like you are stepping out of the rat race for a bit. I have stayed here numerous times and never had a bad experience. The staff goes above and beyond every time. Kimpton definitely knows how to take care of people. Check out their exemplary sister hotel down the street...Morrison House.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear SCOTT B,

I am glad you enjoyed the wonderful service provided by our team members and that it has been consistent for you throughout your multiple visits. I was pleased to note the Lorien is like a little escape from the daily grind for you.

We await your return,

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I can't say enough positive things about the Lorien. I travel around 40 weeks a year, 4-6 in the DC area. I have stayed at the hotel twice, and will make an effort to get there each time I'm here in the future. The rooms are gorgerous, the spa is amazing, and the food and staff at the Brabo tasting room will make you question your decision if you don't eat every meal there. And Alexandria itself is a great destination.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are nice, but if you have a choice, book the suite with the claw foot bath tub!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Dear Tiffini J,

Thank you for all the amazing feedback about the Lorien Hotel, the Brabo Tasting Room and the spa. I am happy you enjoyed your visit to Alexandria, and your repeat stay at the Lorien.
We look forward to your next trip to the DC area.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

From the moment my son and i arrived, every member of the staff were genial and accommodating. Each employee at the Lorien, from the manager to the person cleaning the elevator with the delightful smelling orange oil greeted us with warm welcomes and offered assistance with everything from directions to taking advantage of the beverages at the lobby happy hour. We were offered a ride to the train station, given a late checkout --- all that we needed and more, and all with genuine concern and genuine smiles.
Our room smelled fresh and was clean and comfortable.
The whole experience was delightful, and we look forward to a return trip.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear ValCozy,

I was thrilled to read our entire staff provided you and your son with a wonderful welcome and many offers of assistance. I am glad we were able to provide you with a late check-out to end your delightful stay.

We look forward to your next visit.

WEST GROVE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We arrived Friday evening for a nice, quiet getaway and were greeted by all kinds of help and two glasses of the most wonderful merlot. After snagging a coveted table at the Tasting Room next door we had a wonderful meal, wine and some much needed time with one another.

We went to our room and to bed. Not everyone who arrives for an out of town visit is ready for an early night. Our neighbors next door arrived with loud talking and an repeated attempt to get through the door that would have made our rooms a suite. We called to the front desk and after continued noise I dressed and went downstairs and asked to be moved to a quieter room. In the wink of an eye, Jonita Allen and Maria Chillas, the manager on duty had us in a quiet corner room on another floor. It was just a flurry of activity, but we were back asleep in no time. What service.

The next afternoon after arriving back to the hotel from our visit to the Mt. Vernon estate we happened on the wine tasting and Peter Diorio. We had a fun exchange with him and went to our room only to find out that he was another manager and had left a message for us inquiring about our room change. What consideration.

Our room was smaller, but just fine. My only suggestion would be to have a stationary chair in even the smaller rooms. Doesn't have to be large. The computer chair is like an office chair (on a very giving spring) in that it went way back when I tried to put my shoes on. The bed caught me or I might have been on the floor. Also the Kimpton has a very nice fitness center. Just remember when you get on the elevator to turn around.

As in all of the Kimpton's our stays and rooms have been so nice and the staff wonderful. This hotel was a notch above. I should also mention that Brabo by Robert Wiedeman was very good and the service pleasant and well paced.

I will definitely show up here when I need a break again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear jana1954,

I am sorry about the lively Friday night guests, but was pleased to note Jonita and Maria quickly had you settled into a new quiet corner guest room. I am pleased you were able to enjoy our complimentary evening wine hour where you met Peter our Front Office Manager.

We look forward to your next stay.

Regards,

Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed at the Lorien to attend a meeting. The hotel is brick and is new, but fits in perfectly with the Old Town Alexandria colonial architecture. My room (303) was small, but lovely with a queen bed and two real windows out to the entrance courtyard. The bathroom was large and I think they could have made it a little smaller to make the living area a little bigger. This would be my only very small complaint.

I joined the Kimpton frequent stay club before this visit which allowed me free wi fi and a $10 mini bar credit. The hotel also offers a free wine reception every day at 5:00 with small bites to eat. The location is great - a 5-minute walk from the King Street Metro station and right on King Street which is the main drag of Old Town

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear K8TF,

I am glad you enjoyed the overall feel and architecture of the Lorien Hotel & Spa, as well as our convenient location to the Metro stop on King St. Thank you for joining Kimpton InTouch for the additional benefits.

See you soon,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

We stayed at the Lorien for one night. The staff were fantastic, Mitch especially. We were treated like royalty. The suite we stayed in was spotless, extremely well decorated and great location. We will definitely be staying there again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012
Dear Gussy43,

I was pleased to note you received the “royal” treatment from Mitch at the Front Desk, and that you really enjoyed your accommodations.

We look forward to welcoming you back.