“Oasis away from the Hustle and Bustle of DC” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Houston, Texas
“Oasis away from the Hustle and Bustle of DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We picked the Lorien because it was so much cheaper than the hotels in DC. Then, after reading a lot of the opinions on staying in Alexandra vs Washington, I began to regret our decision.

However, once we arrived I was very happy with our choice. The hotel is very nice and looks and feels brand new. The rooms are clean and bright and extremely comfortable.

The hotel is just 2 short blocks from the King Street metro station which makes it very easy to get to DC. You can take the Yellow or Blue lines into DC and the trip takes about 15-25 min depending on the line. Towards the end of our staty we looked foward to the Metro ride to Alexandria because our feet hurt from walking all day and we knew we could sit and relax on the ride to the hotel. At the Metro Station we took the free Kings Street Trolly to our hotel.

There are many places to eat within easy walking distance from the Hotel. The hotel itself has a very nice, although expensive, resturant. A Subway directly next door was nice, we got bottles of cokes and fruit for snacks there often. Five Guys is a few blocks down the street as well. We also took the trolly to the Brick Oven further down King Street and it is very good.

I am very happy that we decided to stay in Alexandria and stay at the Lorien, when we go back we plan on staying at the Lorien again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
LorienHotelManager, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Dear Texaschick7,

We are very happy you chose Alexandria over Washington D.C. as well! Thank you very much for staying with us and I hope the next time you visit area the choice is very clear!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Nice hotel, but apparently caters to escorts. A gentleman mistook me for a young lady named Katherine that was his "date". I was surprised he was so bold as to admit he was meeting an escort. The place was nice but I was grossed out as to what happens here!

• Stayed October 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

I meant to write this review upon completion of my trip last year but now that I am researching taking another trip figured better late than never. I decided to book a local trip in order to stay close in case family needed me and was very excited to get away with relaxation being the main focus. I chose Lorien because of there being a spa right on site. I will start with the good, the hotel itself was WONDERFUL. Very clean, very comfortable and I found the front desk staff to be VERY accommodating but if you are booking this property for use of the spa I would perhaps try another property and take your spa services elsewhere.

I booked a massage well in advance of my visit and paid quite a bit of money only to be very disappointed. I found the steam room to be dirty and my massage (if you can call it that) to be one of the worst I've ever had. The woman who provided the massage decided to focus heavily on sacrocranial massage (something that was not even written in the description of services, let alone told to me before starting). Basically it consisted of her holding her hands over various parts of my body to transmit energy. While I believe very much in alternative methods of therapy, I was looking for a good old massage and did not get what I paid a very expensive price for.

I told the front desk upon check out and they told me they would have a spa manager call me. Good news - she did, within an hour of check out. Bad news - when I tried to return her call that was the last I heard of my complaint even though she mentioned in her previous message wanting to provide me with a free massage in the future to keep me as a return customer of Lorien.

Now that a year has gone by and the situation was not rectified, it looks like eventhough I'm making this an annual trip, I will not be staying at the Lorien and will take my spa business elsewhere.

Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

My husband and I have stayed here on three separate occasions (one of which was our wedding night) and can't say enough in support of the Lorien. This hotel is spotless and beautiful, has a great location, excellent food at Brabo and the Brabo Tasting Room, and best of all provides personalized, unpretentious, responsive service for a price that is reasonable for this class of establishment. The Lorien is a five minute walk from the Metro, and King Street has an impressive variety of restaurants and activities. We once brought our dog and, as with all Kimptons, he received a lovely reception. Unlike many hotels, the "dog" room was of the same quality as its non-pet counterparts, and actually larger. Plus, no one can argue with a free happy hour. Great place, will keep going back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
LorienHotelManager, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Dear Puresummerhouse,

Thank you so much for staying with us three times and considering us your second home. We look forward to seeing you again soon and of course your dog is always welcome as well.

Until the next visit!
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

When travelling in/around DC, I will never stay anywhere else (and I have stayed in many places!!) I just wish my trip had been longer, so that I could have enjoyed the spa!! Everything was perfect - the room was gorgeous (spacious, luxurious, clean - even an excellent selection in the mini-bar, e.g. La Crema Pinot Noir!), fantastic, friendly customer service (e.g. free upgrade on arrival), excellent food (both Brabo and the tasting room next door), and an ideal location (heart of Old Town) - I LOVED it!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Dear Jen w,

We are so glad you enjoyed your visit to the Lorien Hotel and Spa. It was great to read that you enjoyed almost all we have to offer. Next time, you definitely should work in a spa appointment if time permits, you will not be dissapointed.

Hope to see you again soon!
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Late in posting.

I booked the Lorien for August 29th to September 5th. I travelled with my teenage son.

Room was amazing and modern - everything is thought of! Nice bathroom no tub in our room :(

I was worried about location - turned out to be perfect for getting in/out of Washington for sightseeing!

I liked the good quality coffee served for free from 6-9AM - helps get your day off to a good start!

Only drawback was the common areas were small!

Lots of restaurants nearby and a whole foods.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear TorontoTravelgirl23,

I am so glad we could be a part of your trip to Washington D.C. with your teenage son. I am very glad you had an "amazing" time and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I love stayuing at this hotel. It is small enough that getting to hte room is easy. The beds are wonderful. So cozy that it's hard to get up. the hotel is located near all kinds of restaurants and near the Metro. Hotel staff surpass all expectations. It is a great place to stay in the DC area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear trip0128,

So glad to read "Another great stay!". Thank you very much for your continued support and loyalty to the Lorien Hotel and Spa. We try to exceed all expectations daily and we are glad to see we are exceeding yours!

Looking forward to seeing again soon!

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!