“Fantastic Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Fantastic Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

My husband and I met friends of ours at this hotel for a weekend in Alexandria and DC. The couple we stayed with had a young son and we were able to get adjoining rooms so once the kid went to sleep, we could still hang out in the next room without leaving him unattended. The hotel staff was very accommodating with any request. Our room was spacious and had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in at a hotel! The location was perfect as well. It was within walking distance of all the shops and scenery of Alexandria but also close to the Metro station for easy access into DC. Overall, great stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

This past weekend we had a Couples Retreat at the Lorien and what a treat!! The beauty of this hotel was breathtaking. The staff was absolutely helpful and caring. I bumped into one of the Lorien Maintenance men on the elevator and he said if there is ANYTHING you need call me. I thought that was really nice. The location of this hotel has to be the best location in Alexandria. All the ladies got top notch massages, facials and some got scrubs, they were all exceptional. I had the chance to visit a few of the other Kimpton Hotels on King street and they all were immaculent. I am always afraid when a hotel says they allow animals that there will be some sort of smell. All of the Kimpton line hotels I have visted have been an absolute pleasure, very clean and I would pick them over any line of hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Lorien-FOM, Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2011
Dear veden94,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us at the Lorien hotel and Spa! All of us here are so thrilled that your stay was a successful one. Our hotel is designed for all of our guests to experience the finest in spa services and have an amazing relaxing stay where all of us truly want your experience to be phenomenal! I will definitely share your thoughts with the team! Thanks again for the nice words and we hope to see you again very soon at the Lorien or at any of our wonderful Kimpton properties!

Warm regards,

USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

Rounding up to 5 stars (without rounding I would give it a 4.5). We (husband and wife) stayed here for a romantic overnight in December 2010. Service was excellent, and we had delightful pre-dinner massages in the spa. The front desk upgraded us to a junior suite, which was a lovely surprise, and the staff was solicitous. Wine tasting hour pre-dinner was charming. The only negatives are that the rooms are a tad sterile-- the clean lines and gray-themed color palette are fine, but would benefit by being softened/warmed up a bit by some judicious artwork. As well, lighting was a bit dim (eco-friendly, yes-- but it exaggerated the abundance of gray).

The location, on Alexandria's King Street, is excellent. There are numerous excellent restaurants (try Vermillion) nearby, and the fine dining restaurant onsite, Brabo, has excellent food-- although service is bumpy during peak hours.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Greetings!

Thank you so much for telling us about your stay with us at the Lorien Hotel and Spa! I am elated to hear that your spa experience was wonderful and that our team provided you with wonderful accommodations! I am glad you had a chance to experience Brabo as well, the food is superb! Great feedback, thank you so much for sharing. I will most certainly share with our team. I look forward to hosting you again when you return to Old Town Alexandria!

Best,

Fredericksburg, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

We chose the Lorien for a weekend getaway based on the reviews for the hotel and for Brabo, the restaurant on the property. We are Kimpton In-Touch members and always try to pick a Kimpton property when possible. I found this property to exude a serene and soothing feel which is the intended vibe. Even the standard leopard and animal print robes found in most Kimptons were replaced with white spa robes. I would love to report that the entire stay was serene and soothing but we did hit a few bumps on the road to relaxation. We checked in and were told that we should go have lunch and come back in an hour or so and our room would be ready. They recommended The Tasting Room which was a wonderful recommendation and located at the end of their courtyard on King Street. It is a small but open and airy space, the people were so friendly, and the food was incredible. I can’t recommend the mussels highly enough, they were prepared to perfection. The bread is baked on site and we added the beet and bibb salad. A great start. We went back to our room and it was ready, we were taken up and began to get settled when we noticed a constant humming sound and vibration. It grew lounder in the bathroom. We called down and were told they would send someone up to investigate but that we had been given one of their most quiet rooms. After no one came, I called down again and was told it was the wind. Finally on my third call, someone was sent up and it was confirmed to be machinery on the roof and would continue through our entire stay. So, we packed everything back up and were moved down a few floors to a room that was so much better and bigger; this room even had a chair. We were happy and glad that we had persisted. We got settled again and had a glass of wine while anticipating our reservation at Brabo that evening. We had to call for wine glasses and every time we needed ice, it required a call to the front desk. It is a nice service touch but inconvenient especially when you have to wait for ice, sometimes longer than expected (and, no we didn't need the ice for our wine :)). Now for Brabo. It was a disaster of the highest order and the first time I have ever asked that a waiter not be allowed to return to our table. I won’t go into detail because no purpose would be served. I decided to call the restaurant manager the next day and spoke to him of our disappointment regarding our service, food and experience. He candidly told me that it was one of the worst nights in his memory and the restaurant was overbooked with large parties and the kitchen and staff were stretched very thin. He invited us back as his guests so that we could have the true Brabo experience. It was pure bliss, and the experience was everything we were anticipating on our first night and lived up to the hype. The staff was so friendly and informative; and the food was sublime. We allowed Brabo to pair our wines and select our desserts and we couldn’t have been happier. Kudos to Sean and his staff at Brabo. The rest of our stay at the Lorien was very enjoyable. The beds are some of the best that I have ever slept in and the room was large enough for us. The bathrooms are beautiful but a bit quirky as the other reviews have stated and you should know your companion well because there will be very little privacy. We enjoyed the fitness center each day and would have enjoyed a massage as well but the Spa did not have any available until Wednesday, this was on a Saturday. I would suggest you plan well in advance if you think you will want a spa service while at the Lorien Hotel and Spa. The hotel sits right on King Street and we enjoyed walking to the Torpedo Factory (a collection of art studios) on the waterfront and sightseeing up and down Old Town Alexandria. All in all, the Lorien experience was a welcome respite from the daily grind. The bumpy start made it feel like we lost a day of our relaxing weekend but in the end, all is well that ends well. The corrective action taken both by the hotel and the restaurant to make things right were very much appreciated and make me feel that the problems that we experienced were aberrations and should be overlooked. I actually am looking forward to trying the Lorien again (without the bumpy start).
Lastly, I have to mention that navigating all the choices for “best rates” on their website can be a challenge. For example, an entire web page is devoted to raving about the AAA rate and free parking, with finer print that this only pertains to AAA1 rates not AAA rates. There are no AAA1 rates unless you book two weeks in advance on a non-refundable basis. The parking at the Lorien is valet only and is $25.00 + tax and tip. Worth noting.

St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

My husband and I just returned from spending 5 nights in Alexandria/DC area. I can't stop talking about the Lorien! From the moment that we entered and welcomed by your valet, to Peter at the front desk to the day we left we were treated as we were royalty (and believe me we're not). From the kind suggestions to where to eat, to the wine hour each evening, the wonderful spa treatment- everything was a "step more" than what we expected. Everyone that works there, appear to be proud to be affiliated with the Kimpton name. Thanks for making our time away from home such a nice one.

Hello dmfnole!

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. It appears your stay was wonderful so mission accomplished! I am so proud of the entire team here and I will definitely pass the great feedback along! It is great to hear that our suggestions for dining were appropriate for you and that our spa services were wonderful! Please know that we are always here for you and wine hour is everyday so when come stay with us whenever you can escape back to Old Town!

Thanks again,

England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

We have become frequent visitors to Alexandria. We first stayed in the Morrison House which was very good. The service there was excellent but the rooms were not as nice as in the Lorien. We also tried the Marriott suite hotel at Carlysle but were very disappointed and cannot understand the rave reviews it gets in Trip Advisor.

The Lorien is in a good position in King st and even though we are light sleepers and had a front room ovelooking the courtyard did not hear any traffic noise (with the windows closed).

When we return to Alexandria this is the hotel we will stay in.

Greetings DRMEngland!

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Lorien Hotel and Spa! I am so pleased that we were able to provide with an excellent stay and that your room was conducive for a peaceful night! We pride ourselves on the beauty of our hotel and it also helps that we are offset just a tad from King Street allowing for a great location while providing a comfortable stay. Thanks again from all of us at the Lorien Hotel and Spa and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Warm regards,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

In true Kimpton fashion, the Lorien did not disappoint! From the valet service to the check-in desk, from the wine hour to the fitness center, the Lorien provided a welcome and relaxing environment.

I was fortunate enough to have a corner room with lovey views of King Street. The amenities were excellent; the in-room computer was a nice bonus; the shower was divine.

Shopping and restaurants just blocks away. What a charming little town!

Next time I stay I think I'll try the spa.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!