“Definitely a Go!” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
“Definitely a Go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The hotel was awesome with the exception of the receptionist who was not very friendly at all. I was greated with a barely audible "Hey" No, "How may I help you" or "What can I do for you today." She prejudged me based on my outfit, but when she saw me suited in my Doctorate cap and gown the next day, it was a different story. Nevertheless, I did not allow her to spoil my moment. I loved the hotel and it was in walking distance to eateries and AMC movie theater. I checked in on July 11, 2014 and checked out on July 13, 2014

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Tamieka G, congratulations on your doctorate! Thank you for your very valuable feedback and the opportunity for me to make the necessary corrections to my staff’s greeting skills. Please accept my apologies for your encounter and my assurances that I will remedy that behavior immediately. I am grateful that the remainder of your stay was positive and I appreciate you sharing both the opportunity and the compliments with me. Once again thank you and congratulations again on your impressive achievement … "Doctor"!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

So about a year ago this hotel switched from being a corporate-owned hotel to being a franchise-hotel. Some of the team members that wanted to stay in the promotion and retirement system for Marriott corporate switched to work and/or manage at other Marriott hotels nearby. However, many of the staff stayed on to work with the franchise team. The new manager (well, I guess after a year Cory is no longer new), is excellent in his customer service. He has done his best to hire people that are of good quality, but if anyone falls short, he is on it immediately. I have a previous review in the queue below, but I wanted to let you know that this is STILL my favorite hotel in the DC area. In fact, I had a bunch of work meetings that were up at Ft. Meade in Maryland (about 30 miles away) and I still stayed here since I have everything I need and it's hard to find places that are as consistent with their customer service as this hotel has been and continues to be. One last word...in June I was trying to get my usual reservation for the 3rd week of the month and they were BOOKED UP. I did what anyone else would do, I booked at another hotel (but then I called the R.I. Alexandria/Carlyle) and asked them to put me on the list if there was a cancellation. They were able to get me in and I was able to cancel the reservation at another nearby Residence Inn. So thanks Old Town Carlyle team. You guys are doing great!!

Room Tip: Fitness center is on the second floor. Old Town Alexandria is about 10 minutes away. Whole Foods i...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Anonymous196307, thank you very much for this wonderful praise of my hotel and my staff. I am particularly humbled for your compliments of me personally … you are very gracious … and I thank you kindly. The entire team of us here strive every day to deliver the experiences that you receive, and there is no greater satisfaction than to see those efforts successfully accomplished as they have with you. Thank you very much for being such a loyal repeat customer, and as you remain “anonymous” here, I look forward to further expressing my gratitude to you in person the next time you are here.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The rooms in this hotel are amazing. Full kitchens, great heating and ventilation system. The hotel is very close to the train tracks but the soundproofing is excellent so we could not hear any noise from outside or within the hotel.
They offer complimentary breakfast every day and social nights Monday to Thursday.
The location is perfect for visiting Washington DC as well as Old Town Alexandria. The hotel offers a shuttle to the nearest train stations, but you can walk to them in less than 10 minutes.
Parking is $18/night, but there are parking lots nearby for $7/night and on the weekend parking is free on the street.
We loved our stay here and would return any time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your amazing compliments regarding your experience at my property. We are extremely fortunate to be so centrally located to the train stations and popular destination spots. Our Chef works very hard to deliver the best breakfast and dinner meal periods in the area, and I will be certain to pass on your sentiments to her. We loved having you as a guest here and we look forward to seeing you again when you return.
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

THIS IS MY FAVORITE HOTEL IN DC - PERIOD!!!!!!! I love everything about this hotel, from location, to the service, the parking, all the way to the Manager's Social in the evenings.

I'll start with the location, its right off of I-95 at the Telegraph/Eisenhower exit. The hotel sits in between the Yellow Line Eisenhower Metro Station and the Blue Line/Yellow Line King Street Station. Its a 15-20 walk to center of King Street but the shuttle will gladly take you there in 5 mins depending on traffic.

The Hoffman Plaza is about a 5 min walk and has an AMC Movie Theater, Starbucks, Subway, Ted's Buffalo Burger, Stone Cold Creamery and a few other restaurants.

The hotel itself is relatively new. All the rooms are in excellent condition and the gym is one of the best I have ever seen in a hotel, resorts are a different story.

The staff are fantastic and always are helpful and have smiles on their faces.

The food here is better than average for a hotel and I have never had anything bad.

If you have never stayed here before give this hotel a good look and you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: There is not a bad room in this hotel, I prefer a high room just so I can see more of the area.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Wow! Thank you so much for such a fabulous review of my hotel and staff. Every single detail that you outlined is precisely the message we strive to deliver to every prospecting traveler that visits the Washington DC area, I couldn’t have phrased it any better myself. I am extremely proud of my staff for being as fantastic as you described them to be and I look forward to sharing your comments with them. Once again thank you for such a terrific endorsement and for making my hotel your “Go To” hotel in the Washington DC area.
Pacifica, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I come to Alexandria 3 times a year for work and typically stay at the Westin. Although the quality of the Westin seems to have gone down it definitely knows how to make you feel pampered. As a result, this review is definitely a comparison of my experiences at the Westin and here. The first thing I notice when I walked into my room is a fuse panel right in the middle of the wall. Functionally, no problem but aesthetically, not so nice. The room is tastefully decorated and it came with a kitchenette, which I didn't need. The only reason I stayed here instead of the Westin is that there was no availability at the Westin. The price was $289 per night which seems high but I did have a king suite with both living room and bedroom which was laid out nice and was spacious. The internet was really slow - but free. The free buffet was pretty awful - mostly heavy processed foods although they did have yogurt and oatmeal. There was no hand lotion or water glass in the bathroom. In short, they fell short of those little extras that make you feel pampered - yet the price would suggest that they provide those little extras. The place was clean and run efficiently. The room was quite and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for your comparison of my hotel, I truly appreciate the valuable information that you have provided. We are currently in the process of increasing our internet bandwidth and look forward to offering all of our customers faster internet service in just one more week. In our everyday breakfast we have a wide variety of light non-processed foods such as freshly cut fruits, USDA whole eggs, turkey canadian breakfast meat, healthy choice cereals, low fat and skim milk, low fat granola, assorted yogurt flavors, oatmeal, assorted flavors of baked bagels, and whole wheat bread for those who want toast. I very much welcome a follow up review after you have tried our new internet upgrade, and please ask for me at the front desk when you do. Once again thank you, and I look forward to meeting you.
Peckville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My husband and I spent 4 nights at this hotel while visiting DC, The hotel staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and spacious, the hotel is super close to the Eisenhower Metro which takes you into DC, the metros are safe and very easy to use the hotel does offer shuttle service which we did use once but had to wait almost an hour for a pick up and I had to call 3 times to see where the driver was at, other then that the hotel stay was great and I would definatly stay again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for sharing your hotel stay, I am glad that you enjoyed our clean and spacious accommodations. People love our close walking distance to the metro and many of the other popular destination spots we are in walking distance to. Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.
bay area, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I was very disappointed with my experience at this Residence Inn. I think that the room lay out and kitchens in room are great for families, but the service and experience is not good for any regular traveler.

I arrived late, around midnight. Went to the parking garage and pushed the entry button 3-4 times. no response. Had to back up and go illegally park on the street. Got to the front door, it required a key or a button, pushed it a few times before someone came and finally opened the door. He was abrupt and didn't seem to like that I was checking in.

Rooms are nice and laid out in a way that is good for families and easy to spread out for work. Rooms are very clean.

Went to breakfast (an important part of the RI value offering), they were out of everything. no scrambled eggs, no potatoes, no canadian bacon, no waffle mix, no whip cream - it was a joke. The only thing left were oatmeal and bagels. And I didn't see anyone trying to fix any of it. Kids were milling around looking for something to eat, but everything was empty. I tried to find someone to see if/when they were going to replenish, no one was around.

Finally, when I tried to call downstairs to ask a question about how to best get to the metro, no one answered the phone (6-8 rings). So I hung up and called again, again no one answered. So no one there ever knew that I was upset or had problems because I could never find anyone or get anyone to answer the phone.

Property is pretty nice, service stinks.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Calbearfan, thank you very much for taking the time to inform me about the experience you had at my hotel; and more importantly please accept my sincerest apologies for all of the short comings you encountered. I am particularly grateful to you because the information you have provided enables me the opportunity of obtaining knowledge so that I can take corrective action. I have already moved swiftly in making the necessary changes so that this aberration in service doesn’t repeat itself again; and thanks to you I have that opportunity to do so. Once again I am sorry for your experience, and thank you very much for providing me with this generous opportunity.

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle? Share your experiences!