“Great rooms, staff, location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Vancouver, Canada
“Great rooms, staff, location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The rooms in this hotel are amazing. Full kitchens, great heating and ventilation system. The hotel is very close to the train tracks but the soundproofing is excellent so we could not hear any noise from outside or within the hotel.
They offer complimentary breakfast every day and social nights Monday to Thursday.
The location is perfect for visiting Washington DC as well as Old Town Alexandria. The hotel offers a shuttle to the nearest train stations, but you can walk to them in less than 10 minutes.
Parking is $18/night, but there are parking lots nearby for $7/night and on the weekend parking is free on the street.
We loved our stay here and would return any time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you very much for your amazing compliments regarding your experience at my property. We are extremely fortunate to be so centrally located to the train stations and popular destination spots. Our Chef works very hard to deliver the best breakfast and dinner meal periods in the area, and I will be certain to pass on your sentiments to her. We loved having you as a guest here and we look forward to seeing you again when you return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

THIS IS MY FAVORITE HOTEL IN DC - PERIOD!!!!!!! I love everything about this hotel, from location, to the service, the parking, all the way to the Manager's Social in the evenings.

I'll start with the location, its right off of I-95 at the Telegraph/Eisenhower exit. The hotel sits in between the Yellow Line Eisenhower Metro Station and the Blue Line/Yellow Line King Street Station. Its a 15-20 walk to center of King Street but the shuttle will gladly take you there in 5 mins depending on traffic.

The Hoffman Plaza is about a 5 min walk and has an AMC Movie Theater, Starbucks, Subway, Ted's Buffalo Burger, Stone Cold Creamery and a few other restaurants.

The hotel itself is relatively new. All the rooms are in excellent condition and the gym is one of the best I have ever seen in a hotel, resorts are a different story.

The staff are fantastic and always are helpful and have smiles on their faces.

The food here is better than average for a hotel and I have never had anything bad.

If you have never stayed here before give this hotel a good look and you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: There is not a bad room in this hotel, I prefer a high room just so I can see more of the area.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Wow! Thank you so much for such a fabulous review of my hotel and staff. Every single detail that you outlined is precisely the message we strive to deliver to every prospecting traveler that visits the Washington DC area, I couldn’t have phrased it any better myself. I am extremely proud of my staff for being as fantastic as you described them to be and I look forward to sharing your comments with them. Once again thank you for such a terrific endorsement and for making my hotel your “Go To” hotel in the Washington DC area.
Pacifica, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I come to Alexandria 3 times a year for work and typically stay at the Westin. Although the quality of the Westin seems to have gone down it definitely knows how to make you feel pampered. As a result, this review is definitely a comparison of my experiences at the Westin and here. The first thing I notice when I walked into my room is a fuse panel right in the middle of the wall. Functionally, no problem but aesthetically, not so nice. The room is tastefully decorated and it came with a kitchenette, which I didn't need. The only reason I stayed here instead of the Westin is that there was no availability at the Westin. The price was $289 per night which seems high but I did have a king suite with both living room and bedroom which was laid out nice and was spacious. The internet was really slow - but free. The free buffet was pretty awful - mostly heavy processed foods although they did have yogurt and oatmeal. There was no hand lotion or water glass in the bathroom. In short, they fell short of those little extras that make you feel pampered - yet the price would suggest that they provide those little extras. The place was clean and run efficiently. The room was quite and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for your comparison of my hotel, I truly appreciate the valuable information that you have provided. We are currently in the process of increasing our internet bandwidth and look forward to offering all of our customers faster internet service in just one more week. In our everyday breakfast we have a wide variety of light non-processed foods such as freshly cut fruits, USDA whole eggs, turkey canadian breakfast meat, healthy choice cereals, low fat and skim milk, low fat granola, assorted yogurt flavors, oatmeal, assorted flavors of baked bagels, and whole wheat bread for those who want toast. I very much welcome a follow up review after you have tried our new internet upgrade, and please ask for me at the front desk when you do. Once again thank you, and I look forward to meeting you.
Peckville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My husband and I spent 4 nights at this hotel while visiting DC, The hotel staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and spacious, the hotel is super close to the Eisenhower Metro which takes you into DC, the metros are safe and very easy to use the hotel does offer shuttle service which we did use once but had to wait almost an hour for a pick up and I had to call 3 times to see where the driver was at, other then that the hotel stay was great and I would definatly stay again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for sharing your hotel stay, I am glad that you enjoyed our clean and spacious accommodations. People love our close walking distance to the metro and many of the other popular destination spots we are in walking distance to. Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.
bay area, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I was very disappointed with my experience at this Residence Inn. I think that the room lay out and kitchens in room are great for families, but the service and experience is not good for any regular traveler.

I arrived late, around midnight. Went to the parking garage and pushed the entry button 3-4 times. no response. Had to back up and go illegally park on the street. Got to the front door, it required a key or a button, pushed it a few times before someone came and finally opened the door. He was abrupt and didn't seem to like that I was checking in.

Rooms are nice and laid out in a way that is good for families and easy to spread out for work. Rooms are very clean.

Went to breakfast (an important part of the RI value offering), they were out of everything. no scrambled eggs, no potatoes, no canadian bacon, no waffle mix, no whip cream - it was a joke. The only thing left were oatmeal and bagels. And I didn't see anyone trying to fix any of it. Kids were milling around looking for something to eat, but everything was empty. I tried to find someone to see if/when they were going to replenish, no one was around.

Finally, when I tried to call downstairs to ask a question about how to best get to the metro, no one answered the phone (6-8 rings). So I hung up and called again, again no one answered. So no one there ever knew that I was upset or had problems because I could never find anyone or get anyone to answer the phone.

Property is pretty nice, service stinks.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Calbearfan, thank you very much for taking the time to inform me about the experience you had at my hotel; and more importantly please accept my sincerest apologies for all of the short comings you encountered. I am particularly grateful to you because the information you have provided enables me the opportunity of obtaining knowledge so that I can take corrective action. I have already moved swiftly in making the necessary changes so that this aberration in service doesn’t repeat itself again; and thanks to you I have that opportunity to do so. Once again I am sorry for your experience, and thank you very much for providing me with this generous opportunity.
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I stayed at this hotel about 42 days. I loved it! The Staff from top to bottom were excellent! I even joined in on a focus group to help improve the hotel. I felt safe and secure in the hotel night and day. Everyone was courteous and helpful! My room was comfortable and relaxing. I really enjoyed the use of the gym. The gym is small but better than most hotels normally provide. I will definitely choose this hotel for any length of stay again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you very much for all of the great compliments you wrote about my hotel. I am extremely proud of my staff for delivering you the experience you encountered and I look forward to sharing with them your comments. I enjoyed speaking with you in the focus group and having you as a resident for such a long stay. Once again thank you for the compliments and for your patronage.
Taunton Ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We booked this hotel through AAA and got a great package deal for three nights. It also included two one day passes on the Metro. There are two Metro stations within walking distance. Also included was free parking.Our room was 1515 a king bedroom Suite. The room was very clean, modern and comfortable for my family. The pull out sofa was very comfy for our 15 yr. old . We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast every morning. Breakfast was better than the average with many choices. We ate the complimentary dinner only once and found it to be o.k. The staff at this hotel were friendly. We used the free shuttle once but found everything within walking distance after that. The problem we had began when we found a note slipped under our door explaining that some time during our stay they were going to enter our room and shampoo the carpets. I went to the front desk and asked the woman there if it was possible that they not do shampooing of our room until we checked out. The woman wrote our name and rm. # down on a piece of paper and assured us that they would not shampoo until we booked out. Two days later after a very long day and night of sightseeing in the city we arrive in our rm at 11:30 pm to find that our room had been entered [ even though we placed the do not disturb no housekeeping needed sign on our door] and the carpets had been shampooed!!!! It took us a while to locate where they had moved our personal belongings to, we felt violated that they had touched all of our belongings and moved them to other places in our room. If they had told us that they were going to do this we would of put our things away ourselves. I appreciate that they clean their carpets, but it should not be during a paying customers visit and without their permission!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Omydarlen, thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at my hotel. I am filled with contrition about my shampoo cleaners entering your room and hope that you accept my apologies. The note you received under your door was designed to prevent this type of occurrence and I take full responsibility for the failure of the hand written name and room number move from the front desk to reach the carpet cleaner so that to uphold your request. I have some coaching to do and I will certainly fix the breakdown. Once again please accept my apologies and thank you for letting me know about your stay.

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle? Share your experiences!