“I will return because of her.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #9 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Atlanta, Georgia
“I will return because of her.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I have being a guest at numerous hotels and I expect good service. Yet a recent unpleasant experience at this hotel has shaken my belief in this hotel to provide great services. I was there with my husband in early April and stop by the front desk to get information about Washington DC. The blonde girl at the desk, I think her name is Pam was quite rude or others would say sarcastic, she did not no much of anything. She was more busy with the phone call that she was on than assisting me. I left and went to dinner, when I got back it was a different person at the desk. I ask the same questions I previously ask the other representative. Not only was she polite she gave us lots of information about DC. She also gave us tours information and which one picks up at the hotel. She even call and schedule a morning tour for us. Thanks to her I will visit your Hotel again. I did not get her name but I think she said she was from Jamaica. She even comp our parking for us.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for choosing to return, and more so for sharing your experience. I look forward to determining the staff member that saved your stay and sharing with her your compliments. I am also appreciative of your constructive feedback as that it enables me the opportunity to improve. It is due to our ongoing practice of striving to improve that led to your positive experience, and I am confident those same positive results will continue to translate to fruition again. I look forward to you seeing these improvements when you return. Once again thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We 've been to many luxury hotels, so our expectations are high to rate anything a 4 or 5 star, which is why this is rated average. The suite was large, the bed comfortable - which as someone who has had numerous spinal surgeries, is very important. However, I did overhear someone in the elevator complain about their bed and stating that they must have gotten a room that had yet to have the new replacement beds. If this is true, then we were grateful that our bed was good.
As noted in previous posts for this hotel, the furniture does have a worn look to it but for an overnight stay, it was fine. Some of the usual amenities were lacking and since this was a quick trip, I had decided not to bring any of my own. A call down to the front desk brought a quick response, but I shouldn't have needed to do that.

We were on our way to a restaurant for a party celebration about 1/2 mile away and were pleasantly surprised that free shuttle service was available. We were on it within 5 minutes of requesting the service. Not sure about the return service, since we walked back in the safe neighborhood.

Front desk personnel were warm and welcoming. The free breakfast offered the usual buffet fare but for the many families we saw there, it was a good deal.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for sharing with me the experience you had at my hotel. I always find it rewarding when people discover the “value” of lodging here. Many travelers enjoy the free breakfast and the close walking distance of the safe neighborhood. I am proud of my staff for being warm and welcoming to you and I look forward to sharing your compliments with them. Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing you again soon.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stayed here for the first time, traveled for the cherry blossom festival. They say first impressions mean a lot. Upon checking in we were not told about the shuttle for the hotel, found out about it the next day. Could have used it the night we checked in. Our reservations were made 2 and 1/2 months prior to our arrival. Parking was not available in the hotel, "all booked up". We had to park 2 blocks away. Every time we approached the staff at the front desk they were either on their cell phone or on a personal call on the hotel phone. We had to notify the front desk regarding a unusual stain that was on one of the so called clean pillow cases. I asked for a new pillow altogether. The breakfast was good, the nicest and most friendly employee was the gentleman that worked in the breakfast area putting out the food and clearing the tables, he should be commended! I probably would not stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a studio suite which consisted of a living area and a kitchen, equipped with a microwav...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Suzy844, I first and foremost want to apologize to you for the experience you encountered at my hotel. I am also very grateful to you for allowing me the opportunity to improve from your invaluable feedback. I have urgently deployed a wide breadth of corrective measures of which I am confident will result in a swift recovery back to the level of service that both you and I expect. I completely agree with the impact of first impressions, and I am equally adherent to the impressions of second chances. Soon in the mail you will receive a token of my apologies which will enable both of us to do just that. Once again thank you and I look forward to showing you our improvements on your next visit
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Marriott is doing a great job with the Residence Inn brand. I really enjoy staying with them. They are great value for money and this one is no exception. With very good proximity to Old Town and a quarter mile from the metro Yellow Line and a shuttle that runs 1 and a half mile radius you can get anywhere in DC and nearby. The breakfast here is very good and was included in the our rate. Fresh and tasty with very good variety. I will definitely stay here again. Only bugbear was that there was an automated ventilation fan in the bathroom that was a little noisy and some ambient plumbing noise but no biggie.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Thank you for the very nice review of my hotel. I am pleased that you received value as that is one of our many goals that we strive to achieve with all of our guests. The breakfast crew does a great job maintaining the variety of selections and they take a lot of pride into providing that to you. It also really helps that our hotel is located in such close proximity to popular destinations of which I am glad that was a convenience for you. Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing you again when you come back.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

The staff at this hotel is among the best of any Residence Inn that I've stayed at. The location is good for transportation needs - near the Metro, Amtrak station, and relatively close to the airport. There is a movie theater and a few restaurants within 5 minute walking distance and a few other restaurants about 10 minutes walking distance away.
The only downside that I can think of is the occasional train whistle from the Amtrak or freight trains. You can't really hear the train's noise much at all because of the special glass, but the train's horn does manage to get through the glass. One last note on noise - the A/C units make almost no noise!

Room Tip: If you have a kid that loves trains, stay on the west side of the hotel. If you have chemical alle...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Wow! "The Best of any Residence Inn"! Thank you so much. What an incredibly high compliment. I cannot wait to pass on your sentiments to my staff, I am so proud of them. We work hard every single day to satisfy the guests and there is no greater reward than seeing those efforts come to fruition as they did with your experience. Thank you for joining the growing club of repeat customers that make our hotel the first choice to stay, and I look forward to repeating this experience for you again.
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We stayed here over a weekend in March.The hotel is about 5 minutes walk from Eisenhower Ave Metro Station making it very convenient for visiting DC. It is also close to Old Town Alexandria main attraction, King Street (about 25-30 minutes walk or 5 min short ride in the complementary hotel shuttle van).
The room was very clean and spacious. Breakfast was the usual fare of Residence Inn hotels. Overall we had a great stay at this property and will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the "Excellent" compliments regarding your stay at my hotel. The word is spreading rapidly about our great location where guests can either walk, shuttle, or metro conveniently to their destinations. Our goal is to leave you with an experience great enough to want to stay here again, I am appreciative that we have met that goal. Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing you again upon your return.
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in mid-March at the Residence Inn South at Carlyle while visiting family. This is also a good location for trips into DC, about a 30 minute metro ride. (Be aware that there are 2 Residence Inns in Alexandria). We had a cozy, one-bedroom king with a separate living room. The rooms were very clean and the bed was especially comfortable. Even though we were right by the Amtrack tracks, the triple-paned windows blocked all the noise and we never heard noise from the trains. The kitchen was well stocked as Residence Inns usually are. The two-room suite was big enough for 2 adults, but would have been tight quarters for more than 2. The way our rooms were layed out, there was no privacy between the bath, sink and living room.

This is a pet friendly hotel, and there is a large dog park immediately behind the hotel.

The breakfast was very good, and seemed to be a bit more hearty than other locations. Every morning there was scrambled eggs, a breakfast meat, fruit, yogurt, breads, etc., and a really nice waffle bar with lots of toppings to add in. The evening reception, served Monday-Thursday, was good, and there was enough food to make a full meal.

Staff was also very nice. The only concern was the shuttle that wasn't available as often as we needed it. This is a big hotel and lots of guests use the shuttle, which is just a 10-12 seat van. One night, a large wedding party was in line for the shuttle before us, and after waiting for a while, we finally made other transportation arrangements. Allow lots of extra time if you plan to use the shuttle.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor overlooking the Masonic Temple. You can see the Capitol in the far distance.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
I am delighted that you enjoyed a comfortable stay at my hotel. So many people are amazed of the effectiveness of our sound proof windows, they truly are amazing! I love how our good location satisfies and I am even further passionate about how my staff delivered superior service and that wonderful breakfast that you enjoyed. Thank you very much for sharing your experience and I look forward to passing on your compliments to my staff.

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle? Share your experiences!