“Convenient and Comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
New Hyde Park, New York
“Convenient and Comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Generous rooms, exceptionally priced in a a convenient location with a courteous, helpful,and friendly staff. Convenient to both public transportation as well as major highways. Easy access to both King Street and DC.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for writing this generous review of our hotel. We are extremely fortunate to be centrally located to public transportation, major highways, and popular destination venues. Combining this with our helpful and friendly staff it creates a tremendous value for the exceptional prices we offer. Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.

279 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I love this hotel and it's location. I stayed for 10 nights and you only can do Old Town so much. The hotel has a free shuttle to and from Old Town which I used three or four times. The best part of the location was close to the PTO and the AMC Movie Theater Complex. This complex has a Ted's Grill, a great Thai restaurant, shops and more. I saw two movies during my stay. This complex is next to the Eisenhower Metro Station.
The hotel is clean and the people are great!
I will be back with my family to explore DC.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing how much you love my hotel! Our hotel location is so highly regarded because of the walking distance to so many places and the close proximity to all of the metropolitan DC venues. We are also close to the metro and easy to get to from the nearby DCA airport. When you combine the newness of the condition of our hotel, the excellent job my staff does keeping the hotel clean, and the exceptional high levels of helpfulness and customer service consistently delivered from my team, it results in satisfied repeat customers such as yourself and makes our hotel the first choice for so many DC travelers. Once again thank you and I look forward to accommodating you again on your next visit.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

My wife and I won this hotel on Priceline. You never know what to expect, as some hotels give you a lousy room or service because you dared to submit a low bid. But this place treated us very well, we got a great room and I would stay here again on future D.C. travels.

When we got there, I told Jose at the front desk (who was very helpful the whole time) that I was a very light sleeper and concerned how close the Metro train was - it runs right behind the building. He moved us up to a big room near the top of the hotel, and with the triple-plated glass I never heard the train.

This hotel is in the Carlyle section of Alexandria, largely a corporate office center with little personality and nightlife if that's what you want. There is little to see except the impressive George Washington Masonic National Memorial nearby, and it's well worth going to the top for stunning views of the area.

Old Town Alexandria is a brisk walk or shuttle ride away. Personally I was happy to be away from the Old Town crowds. It's hard to imagine a hotel more convenient to general transportation - as mentioned, the Metro runs right behind it, with two stations nearby, and the Capital Beltway is on the other side. Easy access to D.C. and other areas, no matter how you travel.

Our room was very spacious, comfortable and quiet - really made use of the full kitchen. The hotel has regular social activities, and a big (free) breakfast in the morning.

Hotel parking is a bit of a challenge. When we came in at night the drop-off area was very hard to spot, and we had to go straight to the underground parking for $18 a night. Here's a tip - there are plenty of other parking options unless you have to be on site. On weekends, parking is free on Carlyle streets if you can find it (all the other hotel visitors are doing the same thing). Or, there's a huge parking garage on the other side of the Metro tracks off Mill Road next to the AMC Theater. They charge $5-7 for overnight parking, have a guard on duty and it's largely empty after the movies let out. From there you can walk just a block or two to the hotel. The garage is very visible from the hotel's front door.

The only other negative was housekeeping, which could be improved. But when we needed things we got them quickly.

Highly recommend this place, especially for business travelers or those who want a comfortable place to drop your bags so you can see the sights!

Room Tip: Rooms on the Metro side had insulated glass, didn't hear a thing. Was told rooms on the downtow...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you very much for such an outstanding review of my hotel. We are extremely fortunate to be located in a hybrid area that is conducive to both the corporate and the leisure travelers. Our state of the art sound proofing glass provides the quiet that guests are looking for while also being in close walking distances to both offices and tourist activities. We have the best free breakfast in the area (both in scope and in quality), and the best free dinner prepared delectably by our special culinary expert. To offer this value in a location that has easy access to all of the DC area destinations makes our hotel the first choice for so many DC visitors such as yourself. Once again thank you for taking the time to share your excellent experience with us and I look forward to seeing you again on your return visit.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

A small group of us (3 people) went to this location and it did it's job. Had the 1 bedrm suite with fold out sofa bed in the living room area. Two large screen tvs in each room, plenty of space, very clean, close enough to two things: Amtrak station and Metro. The only downside was that it would have been good to have more towels readily available, but that was easily requested. No real complaints

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing how good your stay was at my hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our spacious and luxurious accommodations. I am extremely proud of my staff for the superb consistency in cleanliness that you experienced. Combining that with a centralized location that is walking distance to everything (including major transportation stations) creates a tremendous amount of value. I look forward to sharing your experience with my staff. Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.
Woodbridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We booked a one bedroom suite and a two bedroom suite. Both rooms were very clean, with a great layout and very nice overall. The free breakfast is very good. The free shuttles to Old Town make this hotel the best value in the area to enjoy what the area has to offer. Highly recommend. We will definitely return.

Stayed October 2013
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for expressing how very nice our hotel is. It is always very pleasing to see how we have earned another repeat loyal customer through our very clean rooms, elaborate free breakfast, convenient walking distance location, and free shuttle van services. I am extremely proud of my staff for maintaining the consistency of high service levels that makes our hotel the first choice for so many travelers such as yourself. I look forward to sharing your comments with my team. Once again thank you and I look forward to accommodating you again on your return visit.
Richmond, Virginia, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is a fairly new Residence Inn and offers what most of them do. I find the stock furniture uncomfortable and ugly. Our room had a sofa, but no easy chair. Breakfast very nice-- varied and ample. Not located close to Old Town Alexandria, but there is a shuttle that will take you to nearby restaurants and probably (although I did not ask) a nearby Metro Station. There is no street parking unless you are very, very lucky, so add $18 for that. Staff nice and tries to please. Pretty plain vanilla, overall.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with us. Our complimentary breakfast and evening social meals offers the best variety and quality in the area, I am glad you enjoyed them! Combining this with our close walking distance location to an abundant array of attractions (and the metro); and the convenience of our complimentary shuttle service provides a tremendous value that makes our hotel the first choice for so many Alexandria travelers such as yourself. Thank you very much for being one of the many loyal repeat Marriott customers that enjoys our top notch customer service and Residence Inn’s highly acclaimed nouveau décor. I look forward to seeing you again when you return to the area.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this Residence Inn one year ago and while we were satisfied overall it seems there has been a slight lessening in service. Specifically the room cleaning was not up to the expectations we had set from our last visit. We were required to request additonal towels that were not replenished, same with soap and exhausted in room shampoos. Some small trash items were left on the floor (just a couple of water bottle caps inadvertenly dropped). This sounds pretty petty but frankly our last experience was superior and we thought it was worth mentioning some of the minor pitfalls to management.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share with me the experience you had at my hotel. I find it to be the most generous of deeds because it enables me the ability to sustain the highest level of customer service we are accustomed to providing as demonstrated by the remainder of these tripadvisor postings. To prove my commitment, I welcome you to contact me personally the next time you visit and I will make it right for you. Once again thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle? Share your experiences!