My wife and I won this hotel on Priceline. You never know what to expect, as some hotels give you a lousy room or service because you dared to submit a low bid. But this place treated us very well, we got a great room and I would stay here again on future D.C. travels.
When we got there, I told Jose at the front desk (who was very helpful the whole time) that I was a very light sleeper and concerned how close the Metro train was - it runs right behind the building. He moved us up to a big room near the top of the hotel, and with the triple-plated glass I never heard the train.
This hotel is in the Carlyle section of Alexandria, largely a corporate office center with little personality and nightlife if that's what you want. There is little to see except the impressive George Washington Masonic National Memorial nearby, and it's well worth going to the top for stunning views of the area.
Old Town Alexandria is a brisk walk or shuttle ride away. Personally I was happy to be away from the Old Town crowds. It's hard to imagine a hotel more convenient to general transportation - as mentioned, the Metro runs right behind it, with two stations nearby, and the Capital Beltway is on the other side. Easy access to D.C. and other areas, no matter how you travel.
Our room was very spacious, comfortable and quiet - really made use of the full kitchen. The hotel has regular social activities, and a big (free) breakfast in the morning.
Hotel parking is a bit of a challenge. When we came in at night the drop-off area was very hard to spot, and we had to go straight to the underground parking for $18 a night. Here's a tip - there are plenty of other parking options unless you have to be on site. On weekends, parking is free on Carlyle streets if you can find it (all the other hotel visitors are doing the same thing). Or, there's a huge parking garage on the other side of the Metro tracks off Mill Road next to the AMC Theater. They charge $5-7 for overnight parking, have a guard on duty and it's largely empty after the movies let out. From there you can walk just a block or two to the hotel. The garage is very visible from the hotel's front door.
The only other negative was housekeeping, which could be improved. But when we needed things we got them quickly.
Highly recommend this place, especially for business travelers or those who want a comfortable place to drop your bags so you can see the sights!
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South At Carlyle Hotel Alexandria
- Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South At Carlyle Hotel
- Residence Inn Alexandria
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the growing Carlyle neighborhood just outside of historic Old Town Alexandria, Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle provides the perfect accommodations for corporate and leisure travelers visiting the Washington, D.C. area. This 15 floor hotel features 181 studio, one- and two- bedroom suites including complimentary Internet access and fully-equipped kitchens. Additional on-property amenities include 1,025 sq. ft. of meeting space, state-of-the-art fitness center, 24-hour market, and business center with print, copy, scan, and fax services. Along with well-appointed accommodations, guests enjoy complimentary daily hot breakfast and evening social hours (Monday-Thursday). Ideal for extended stays, guest laundry facilities and pet-friendly rooms are available. This Alexandria, VA hotel is conveniently located near two Metro stations, offering easy access to key area businesses and leading downtown Washington, DC destinations. The hotel provides complimentary shuttle service to the Metro and Old Town Alexandria. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Marriott, Booking.com, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Agoda, Venere and Fareportal so you can book your Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.