“Some Slippage Since Last Year” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #10 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
New York City, New York
“Some Slippage Since Last Year”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this Residence Inn one year ago and while we were satisfied overall it seems there has been a slight lessening in service. Specifically the room cleaning was not up to the expectations we had set from our last visit. We were required to request additonal towels that were not replenished, same with soap and exhausted in room shampoos. Some small trash items were left on the floor (just a couple of water bottle caps inadvertenly dropped). This sounds pretty petty but frankly our last experience was superior and we thought it was worth mentioning some of the minor pitfalls to management.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share with me the experience you had at my hotel. I find it to be the most generous of deeds because it enables me the ability to sustain the highest level of customer service we are accustomed to providing as demonstrated by the remainder of these tripadvisor postings. To prove my commitment, I welcome you to contact me personally the next time you visit and I will make it right for you. Once again thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Recently spent 4 nights at the Residence Inn while in Alexandria for a long weekend. Very nice place. (Wish I had thought to stay here when last visiting DC. Close to Metro & much cheaper than staying in DC) We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite. King bed is always comfy. Room was immaculate. This hotel was within a 4 hour drive from home so it was easy to load up the car with all those extras we'd need for a 5 day visit. We've been staying in a lot of Residence Inns in the last 4 years & I feel we're "hooked" on the extra room & full kitchen. Also, free breakfast each morning. Not necessarily a huge selection to choose from but perfect for us.
Parking was $18 daily. But you can always park on the street for free on weekends. We paid the $18. Very secure & worth it.
They also have a free shuttle service to get around town, within a 3 mile radius, which can pretty much get you to any place you plan to go or to a Metro station. We didn't use it because we had our car but, it we didn't, it would've been very convenient.
We will be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing how “hooked” you are on my hotel. It is always so rewarding to see how our winning recipe of clean comfy rooms, free breakfast and dinner, friendly helpful service, and extremely convenient location is resulting in a growing following of satisfied guests (just like yourself) that “Will definitely stay here again”. Once again thank you and I look forward to accommodating you again on your next visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was very nice. Stayed in a one bedroom suite. King sized bed was very comfortable. Continental breakfast was good with lots of choices - eggs, cereal, waffles. Wish the fruit choices were better. The apples looked like they had been there for days.

• Stayed September 2013
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you very much for such a wonderful rating of my hotel. We pride ourselves on having the most elaborate choices of complimentary breakfast items, and I am very pleased that you enjoyed them. Combined with comfortable beds, clean rooms, and a friendly staff, equates to a "Nice Hotel"! Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.
Taylorsville, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

First off I will admit that I chose this property as I was able to get my Marriott employee rate here, but boy was I pleased with this decision! We came for my brothers wedding so I had some family with me, the staff was very accomodating with everyone's needs! Every morning at breakfast my grandma would need water and Jenny would make sure my grandma had it by either getting it for her, or checking to make sure my grandma had gotten it herself, as it wasn't in the eating area. Unfortunately I don't remember too many of the front desk agents but they were always so helpful and even got us the shuttle to take us to the metro on the day we decided not to drive into the city. Our driver there was Barry and he was so friendly and made us laugh! We had to iron a lot of wedding chair covers for my brothers wedding and when we started, one of the irons was not working properly, so they were prompt in bringing us up a new one.
The breakfast each day was really good and I have to say I miss it now that I am home!
I really have so many good things to say about this place and will definitely consider staying there in my future stays, and will recommend it when I am booking people to stay in the area.
The only one thing that happened was when we were packing up to leave, my husband checked under the bed and found an old orange juice container, it wasn't ours so I don't know how long it had been there, we were surprised as the rest if the room was so nice and clean!
Also I was worried we would have a noisy room as our bedroom window looked out in the metro tracks(my little brother slept in the living room and had a view if the Masonic temple, which he was really excited about). The noise level was very minimal and didn't bother us at all!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you very much for such a wonderful review of my hotel. I am extremely proud of my employees particularly when guests compliment so many of them in various different departments. I am glad that you got to experience the culmination of superb customer service when it is combined with a state of the art sound proof facility conveniently positioned in a great location that is walking distance to everything. It is due to so many customer lodging experiences just like yours which is the reason why our hotel is the first choice for so many travelers when they visit the Washington DC area. Once again thank you, and I look forward to seeing you again when you return for your next visit here.
Piscataway, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This place is outstanding. I have no complaints. It was perfect. So clean you could eat off the floor.
I will stay here every time I'm in the area. You cannot go wrong with this place. I can't not say enough about this place. I was there on business.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for the outstanding review you gave of my property. I too cannot get enough of this exceptional staff that consistently does a remarkable job with the cleanliness of the hotel along with friendly and helpful customer service too. It also helps that we are conveniently located in the heart of walking distance to both local shops and the metro station. Thank you for being a loyal repeat customer and making our hotel your first choice when you come to the DC area. I look forward to seeing you again upon your next visit.
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have been staying at the Residence Inn at Carlyle since November, 2008 when they opened. They have done a good job at keeping the property up. The rooms are clean (really clean...and I'm a clean freak) and very roomy. Even the studio rooms are good sized. I saw an earlier review about the rooms being small and I can't say I've experienced that before. Granted, I haven't stayed in every room at this hotel, but overall the rooms are good-sized and clean. They are a pet-friendly hotel and there is a dog park just up the road about a half-block away. Whole foods is 5 minutes away by car or about a 10 minute walk. Metro is nearby too. They have a full-gym, not one of those faux-gyms that some hotels have. And the staff here is the nicest ever. They have had minimal turn-over in the 5 years I've been staying here. Recently this hotel went from a corporate Marriott location over to a franchise, so some of those staff members that were trying to keep seniority at Marriott did leave, but the replacement team is just as nice as the original group. You won't regret staying here...it's in a good location and is fairly priced. You can walk to King street in about 10 minutes or less (King street is the main thoroughfare for Old Town Alexandria and has cute shops and restaurants there).

Room Tip: The fitness room is on the second floor. Sometimes you can hear people dropping the weights if you...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you very much for being such a long term 5 year loyal repeat customer. It is always gratifying to see the expansion of our customer base becoming long term loyalists such as yourself. I am extremely proud of my staff for maintaining the consistency of cleanliness and friendly service throughout the years. The combination of our cleanliness, state of the art facility, and close walking distance to local shops (and the metro) has made our hotel the preferred choice for those seeking a home away from home. Once again thank you for being a part of our family and I look forward to seeing you again upon your next visit.
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Although I am late writing this review, I felt is necessary to say this is one of the best Residence Inn's we have ever stayed at! We were in town celebrating our 25th year anniversary. The staff made us feel so welcome and one day after touring the DC area wearing matching shirts that told we were celebrating our anniversary, Meaghan and Ann surprised us and brought a basket of goodies for us to celebrate! We were so touched by this gesture. The hotel was beautiful and the van shuttle guys were very informative. We had an exclellant stay and the room, breakfast and all the amenities were great! Thanks for making our anniversary extra special!

Room Tip: Any room is great
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thank you very much for writing such a high compliment of expressing our hotel as one of the best Residence Inn's you have ever stayed at! We are always striving to separate ourselves from the competition with our personalized customer service, elaborate breakfast, and abundance of amenities. I am proud of our staff for successfully achieving that goal. I look forward to sharing your compliments with the rest of the team. Happy anniversary and we look forward to seeing you for the 26th celebration!

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle? Share your experiences!