“great oysters” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hank's Oyster Bar

Hank's Oyster Bar
1026 King St, Ste 1, Alexandria, VA 22314-6710 (Old Town)
703-739-4265
Neighborhood: Old Town
Denver
“great oysters”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

this place was small, and not much bar seating, but the waitstaff was friendly (after a wierd miscommunication with the hoestess who didn't give me the option of sitting at the bar, and then someone scurried past me and took the last seat). The oysters were super fresh and a good deal for happy hour. However this is the first place I'd ever been where happy hour was just one hour! Could be a little longer. Steamed clams, while tasty, were not steamed clams that I grew up with in New England, and maybe should be advertised a little differently to keep people from the same dissappointment I experienced. They're tiny, and not the hand-dipped in butter experience I expected. But, all that said, if I lived here, I would be back at least once a week for a glass of wine and a few oysters during happy hour! (Provided my job and commute allowed me to make it during that ONE hour)

Visited March 2013

Falls Church, Virginia
“Great treat for a sea food Friday Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Friend of mine took me to this quality restaurant. Service was fine and surroundings were clean and the small lunch menu gave us excellent choices. I had the shrimp Poo Boy and my friend had the Oyster Poo Boy. Both batter fried. They came with Cajun fries and an accompanying Cajun dipping sauce (very smooth and spicy). Even lunch was a bit pricey but the food was worth it. Friendly staff and a nice walk in location off King Street.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
frederick, maryland
“Great Oysters and Excellent Salads!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We chose Hank's for oysters and weren't disppointed. That night they were serving 3 from the east coast and 3 from the west coast. A Maryland native, I'm particular and stuck with the local ones. At $2.25 per oyster, you can spend some ching before you know it!

I chose the Avacado and Romaine Hearts with Buttermilk Cilantro Dressing. This salad was delicious. The romaine was crisp, the dressing very tasty with just enough bite (heat.)

My wife chose Grilled Smoked Mozarella with Eggplant and Zuchinni. I'm not a big fan of eggplant but this grilled delight was unbelieveable.

We each enjoyed a glass of Cab-Sauv. Mine was from Uraguay - I've heard they are exporting some excellent wine. My wife's was from California. Both were crisp, light and noticably different. Would order either next time.

Our server was attentive and courteous; always available but didn't hover.

We chose Hank's the first time for oysters. Next time (and there will be a next time) it'll be for the wine and salads!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, VA
“Never had an oyster till I went to Hank's!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We have been regular visitors at Hank's for the last four years and apart from it being much too small for real comfort (soon to be fixed I believe as they expand next door), this is a great eating experience! Oysters had never appealed to me as they look 'shiny' and are raw, but when I finally tasted them at Hank's I wished I hadn't waited so long to do so!!! LOVE the tomato/horseradish dip! I am now a mollusc lady and regular have their mussels after the oysters!! Yes, they have some excellent desserts too, but the small pieces of dark chocolate served to finish the meal is perfect!

Visited February 2013
Clifton, NJ
“OK place, but poor service, poor value, will not return”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Food was just OK, but overpriced and way overrated. I had wanted to go there on one of my many trips to Alexandria, but never had the time. I didn't miss much.

Quality of dishes was erratic. Lobster bisque was blechh, but contained a few nice chunks of lobster. My sliced steak was also tasty, but the portion was unexpectedly small (as were the entrees of my dinner companions).

The Clam chowder was very good, and hot, which was important because apparently, I was seated in the "cold spot", as the staff told me at the end of the meal.

It was crowded this evening, and we were seated at the table closest to the bar on the left when you walk in. We were glad to be seated (after a reasonably short wait), as it was cold and windy outside. I sat closest to the bar, against the wall, and was freezing during the entire meal. Our waitress saw me wearing my coat and hat and volunteered to turn off the ceiling fan but it didn't help. Towards the end of the meal, I ordered clam chowder, to help warm me up.

Just before dessert she came over to say the bartender told her that I was sitting in the "COLD SPOT" (her words), and she moved me to the end of the table (a simple thing to do) - there was an immediate 15 degree difference!! Seriously. I was now comfortable. The person sitting next to me got colder since i was no longer serving to block her from the cold, and she was now UNcomfortably cold. I won't return.

I had a stiff neck and shoulder from the cold for the next few days.

If not for being seated in what the waitress said was "THE COLD SPOT" , I would have given it two and one-half if that was an option; but definitely not higher.

Suggestion: If you do dine there (and I have heard some of the dishes are well received), do not sit where I sat unless you want to feel cold, e.g., very hot weather - unless, of course, during the summer it becomes the "hot spot".

• Visited February 2013