“Great treat for a sea food Friday Lunch” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hank's Oyster Bar

Hank's Oyster Bar
1026 King St, Ste 1, Alexandria, VA 22314-6710 (Old Town)
703-739-4265
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Old Town
Falls Church, Virginia
“Great treat for a sea food Friday Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Friend of mine took me to this quality restaurant. Service was fine and surroundings were clean and the small lunch menu gave us excellent choices. I had the shrimp Poo Boy and my friend had the Oyster Poo Boy. Both batter fried. They came with Cajun fries and an accompanying Cajun dipping sauce (very smooth and spicy). Even lunch was a bit pricey but the food was worth it. Friendly staff and a nice walk in location off King Street.

• Visited March 2013

frederick, maryland
“Great Oysters and Excellent Salads!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We chose Hank's for oysters and weren't disppointed. That night they were serving 3 from the east coast and 3 from the west coast. A Maryland native, I'm particular and stuck with the local ones. At $2.25 per oyster, you can spend some ching before you know it!

I chose the Avacado and Romaine Hearts with Buttermilk Cilantro Dressing. This salad was delicious. The romaine was crisp, the dressing very tasty with just enough bite (heat.)

My wife chose Grilled Smoked Mozarella with Eggplant and Zuchinni. I'm not a big fan of eggplant but this grilled delight was unbelieveable.

We each enjoyed a glass of Cab-Sauv. Mine was from Uraguay - I've heard they are exporting some excellent wine. My wife's was from California. Both were crisp, light and noticably different. Would order either next time.

Our server was attentive and courteous; always available but didn't hover.

We chose Hank's the first time for oysters. Next time (and there will be a next time) it'll be for the wine and salads!

• Visited February 2013
Alexandria, VA
“Never had an oyster till I went to Hank's!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We have been regular visitors at Hank's for the last four years and apart from it being much too small for real comfort (soon to be fixed I believe as they expand next door), this is a great eating experience! Oysters had never appealed to me as they look 'shiny' and are raw, but when I finally tasted them at Hank's I wished I hadn't waited so long to do so!!! LOVE the tomato/horseradish dip! I am now a mollusc lady and regular have their mussels after the oysters!! Yes, they have some excellent desserts too, but the small pieces of dark chocolate served to finish the meal is perfect!

Visited February 2013
Clifton, NJ
“OK place, but poor service, poor value, will not return”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Food was just OK, but overpriced and way overrated. I had wanted to go there on one of my many trips to Alexandria, but never had the time. I didn't miss much.

Quality of dishes was erratic. Lobster bisque was blechh, but contained a few nice chunks of lobster. My sliced steak was also tasty, but the portion was unexpectedly small (as were the entrees of my dinner companions).

The Clam chowder was very good, and hot, which was important because apparently, I was seated in the "cold spot", as the staff told me at the end of the meal.

It was crowded this evening, and we were seated at the table closest to the bar on the left when you walk in. We were glad to be seated (after a reasonably short wait), as it was cold and windy outside. I sat closest to the bar, against the wall, and was freezing during the entire meal. Our waitress saw me wearing my coat and hat and volunteered to turn off the ceiling fan but it didn't help. Towards the end of the meal, I ordered clam chowder, to help warm me up.

Just before dessert she came over to say the bartender told her that I was sitting in the "COLD SPOT" (her words), and she moved me to the end of the table (a simple thing to do) - there was an immediate 15 degree difference!! Seriously. I was now comfortable. The person sitting next to me got colder since i was no longer serving to block her from the cold, and she was now UNcomfortably cold. I won't return.

I had a stiff neck and shoulder from the cold for the next few days.

If not for being seated in what the waitress said was "THE COLD SPOT" , I would have given it two and one-half if that was an option; but definitely not higher.

Suggestion: If you do dine there (and I have heard some of the dishes are well received), do not sit where I sat unless you want to feel cold, e.g., very hot weather - unless, of course, during the summer it becomes the "hot spot".

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jacksonville, Florida
“Fun ambiance, great flavors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I went on a Sunday early afternoon with a friend who is a regular. While the restaurant was very busy, sort of a relaxed but bustling atmosphere, tables were turning over. the wait staff is especially accomodating and friendly and seemed to be this way with folks at tables around us. The restaurant/bar (very few seats at the bar) is located in an old town house on King St. between Rt. 1 N and Rt. 2. S. However, don't let its location deter you from trying it...Everyone around us was ordering oysters, but we ordered popcorn shrimp, mussels, fries, and lobster bisque soup. Everything was delicious. No bread was served w/ my mussels, but when I but asked, it appeared. The fries were extra crispy as I had requested.
I would definitely send friends in the area...note: there are two other locations for Hank's Oyster Bar one on Capital Hill and another in Dupont Circle.
Ordered a great sauvignon blanc...other wines also sounded good and the waiter was familar with their small but interesting selection

• Visited January 2013