“Thank you so much” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Columbus, Ohio
“Thank you so much”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I just wanted to say thank you for a great experience after coming to Virginia to lay my father to rest at Arlington Cemetery, the staff here was excellent and very accomodating. during this stressful time, we encountered that we had locked our suitcases and left the key at home, I had called down the night before and they said maintenance will be here at 6am, mike who was on that day was quick to respond with a hack saw which I then was able to retreive my dress cloths for that day, thanks again for being to fast and prompt to respond mike, we greatly appreciate you all!!!
I can't say enough about the staff from the arrival, to our departure, from front desk, maintenance, houskeeping, driver and breakfast attendant, you all did a remarkable job and were very friendly, and I wish you all the best in life, god bless and I hope to stay there again one day.
I hope I did not forget anyone to praise...great job everyone!!!

Sincerely

Brad Childers from Ohio

Room Tip: maybe get a room close to your parking but even on the second floor your still not much futher away...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Shelby C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Brad C,
Thank YOU so much for your kind words. We are happy we could be here for you when you needed us most. I am glad Mike could get your suitcase open with out any trouble and you could get to your close and had everything you needed. My staff and I again send our condolences to you and your family. We would be please to have you come stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Boynton Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Old Colony Inn is in an excellent location to the Smithsonian in DC & shuttle service is offered to the closest Metro Station. This was a huge plus instead of driving & finding parking. Some folks had to wait 30 minutes to be picked up at the Metro station but we didn't have that experience. The shuttle will also take you/pick up to & from Old Town Alexandria until 8:45 pm daily. The hotel itself is older with a quaint brick exterior to match the general building theme in Old Town but was updated & clean. Our double room was small with updated linens, shower & sink. Two queens would have been preferred. The staff were very accommodating, helpful & quick to respond to questions. We enjoyed free parking, a decent breakfast & could walk to the nearby Giant grocery as needed. The only downside was no elevator but someone is available to help with luggage. I would definitely stay here again.

BARRIE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

The hotel was comfortable and clean. It is close to Washington DC, Arlington National Cemetery and downtown Alexandria. The staff is helpful and courteous. The shuttle service is adequate and the driver courteous and helpful.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

839dennisV,
Hello I want to thank you for taking the time to give us your review of our hotel. I am glad to hear you had a good time and enjoyed our shuttle service. Hope to see you the next time you come to the area.
Minneapolis, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

For the value, this hotel is fine, but the rooms are small. Double beds, small vanity area. Breakfast is fine. Wifi did not work while we were there. The free parking is great, and certainly helpful in that area.

canton, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

It is close to DC and reasonable priced but the rooms have probably not been updated for about 15 yrs. Very big crack in the ceiling and more than a steady drip from the bathtub faucet that couldn't be shut off.

David W,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feed back regarding your stay with us. We are an older hotel and we are working on renovations right now. Again thank you for your comments.
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Our family of 4 was visiting Washington DC and we wanted to stay close, but not in DC. We found the hotel to be a nice and clean place to stay. The metro station was a bit far, but the shuttle took us there and came quickly when we called for a return ride. We had no problem finding the hotel as other reviewers wrote and there were 2 small flights of stairs to the second floor. Also not a problem. The beds were VERY comfortable, good room and bathroom size, nice size breakfast room and a good selection for breakfast including a waffle maker and a different hot entry each morning. We were only able to stay 2 nights since they were sold out the rest of the week. Overall it was a nice place to stay and much more economical than staying in DC. I'd recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Pembroke Pines, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Our recent stay at Best Western Old Country Inn in Alexandria was not an over all pleasant experience and has caused me to write a bad review for the first time. We consider ourselves well traveled and have stayed in many hotels owned by many different corporations across the country but have never had an experience like this one.
We had driven down to DC from a few days in Baltimore at a competitors hotel and using GPS supposedly arrived at the hotel which was no where to be found. We were in the right place but due to no signage at the street and many trees in front of the hotel we, and as it turns out, every other guest there, could not see the hotel. Even our taxi drivers had trouble finding it!
When I checked in the evening front desk clerk was very nonchalant and when I mentioned the sign issue he only said “I know” and also said the Innkeeper was aware of it as well. Apparently the sign issue has been that way for years.
Upon entering our room, we found that the air conditioner, located in the ceiling, was very noisy. I again went to the evening clerk and he decided that the cover plate must be loose and so tried to tighten with a butter knife (We found out the next day that the entire hotel staff was aware of the problem with this room but no one had made any attempt to fix it). We asked for a new room but were told the hotel was sold out. The next morning (with a pounding headache from the a/c) I went to the day clerk about it who only said that the maintenance man was out due to an appointment (he never did come in) but she would talk to the manager about it. This was around 8am. Upon our return at 6 still nothing had been done about repairs or changing rooms and in fact they had not spoken to the manager about it either. The manager was in her office but never came upstairs to see us instead calling our room and telling us they would move us to the handicapped room next door (this was satisfactory to us as our other family members were across the hall) however there was little closet space. I guess they think the handicapped don’t use them? We never did meet the manager but she did comp that first night.
This hotel also has no ice machine available to guests. Instead there is a commercial ice maker in their basement where they fill hotel type ice bucket liner bags with ice then put them in a standup glass fronted freezer in the hallway. Of course by the time they put these bags in the freezer, the ice has melted then solidifies back into a nice ice block which in that state is virtually unusable. This also calls into question as to how sanitary this is as well. How many hands have touched my ice? I shudder to think about it.
Also, they have the idea that the in room ice buckets should be stored on the upper closet shelf in the bathroom along with the accompanying cups. Again, sanitary? We also found multiple extension cords not only in both rooms we had but in my brothers room as well. His ran under the carpet. A clear fire code and life safety violation (can you guess what I do for a living?) We checked previous entries on Trip Advisor and saw all these same issues.
The evening desk clerk was less than helpful and seemed more interested in talking to his significant other than helping guests. Unless of course those guests were women and he became more than helpful. The toilets were commercial power flush type toilets with open fronted seats (none of us had ever seen this in any hotel we stayed in), the bathroom towel racks were rusty as were the bathroom door hinges. There was free wi-fi but we had to call the front desk to get the password.

I will say that the day clerk was very nice and made every attempt to help us, even calling a cab for us when our hired ride didn’t show. The shuttle drivers were the best and were always on time and available to take us to the train station, Reagan Airport, and even came to pick us up after dinner at the restaurant when a severe rainstorm hit the area. The housekeeping staff was very friendly too and kept the rooms very clean. There was also an excellent breakfast provided each day with bagel, waffles, fruit, juice, eggs, and biscuits and gravy. The business center was also top notch.

Over all I would tell you that if you are going to Washington DC and are thinking about staying in Alexandria, don’t stay at the Best Western Old Country Inn.

Room Tip: All the front rooms face the main street (Washington Avenue) and can be noisy so if you do happen to...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear CVT59,
First of all I would like to apologize for the experience you had at our hotel. I do understand that coming from the south direction it is a little to hard to see our sign and I am working on putting up a new one out on that corner. I also understand that you had issues with the air conditioner being noisy. Yes I knew of a small hum caused by some vibrations and we were waiting for a specialist to come in and look at it because no one could find anything wrong. So it must have gotten louder then I realized and again I am sorry. I do not know who called and talked to you but I will look into it. I am glad to hear that your room was given to you complimentary for the troubles you had while staying here. Again I apologize and want you to know we take your comments to heart and we are working on making everything better for our guest.

Been to BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn? Share your experiences!