“Good value” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Minneapolis, United States
“Good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

For the value, this hotel is fine, but the rooms are small. Double beds, small vanity area. Breakfast is fine. Wifi did not work while we were there. The free parking is great, and certainly helpful in that area.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
canton, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

It is close to DC and reasonable priced but the rooms have probably not been updated for about 15 yrs. Very big crack in the ceiling and more than a steady drip from the bathtub faucet that couldn't be shut off.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Shelby C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
David W,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feed back regarding your stay with us. We are an older hotel and we are working on renovations right now. Again thank you for your comments.
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Our family of 4 was visiting Washington DC and we wanted to stay close, but not in DC. We found the hotel to be a nice and clean place to stay. The metro station was a bit far, but the shuttle took us there and came quickly when we called for a return ride. We had no problem finding the hotel as other reviewers wrote and there were 2 small flights of stairs to the second floor. Also not a problem. The beds were VERY comfortable, good room and bathroom size, nice size breakfast room and a good selection for breakfast including a waffle maker and a different hot entry each morning. We were only able to stay 2 nights since they were sold out the rest of the week. Overall it was a nice place to stay and much more economical than staying in DC. I'd recommend it.

Pembroke Pines, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Our recent stay at Best Western Old Country Inn in Alexandria was not an over all pleasant experience and has caused me to write a bad review for the first time. We consider ourselves well traveled and have stayed in many hotels owned by many different corporations across the country but have never had an experience like this one.
We had driven down to DC from a few days in Baltimore at a competitors hotel and using GPS supposedly arrived at the hotel which was no where to be found. We were in the right place but due to no signage at the street and many trees in front of the hotel we, and as it turns out, every other guest there, could not see the hotel. Even our taxi drivers had trouble finding it!
When I checked in the evening front desk clerk was very nonchalant and when I mentioned the sign issue he only said “I know” and also said the Innkeeper was aware of it as well. Apparently the sign issue has been that way for years.
Upon entering our room, we found that the air conditioner, located in the ceiling, was very noisy. I again went to the evening clerk and he decided that the cover plate must be loose and so tried to tighten with a butter knife (We found out the next day that the entire hotel staff was aware of the problem with this room but no one had made any attempt to fix it). We asked for a new room but were told the hotel was sold out. The next morning (with a pounding headache from the a/c) I went to the day clerk about it who only said that the maintenance man was out due to an appointment (he never did come in) but she would talk to the manager about it. This was around 8am. Upon our return at 6 still nothing had been done about repairs or changing rooms and in fact they had not spoken to the manager about it either. The manager was in her office but never came upstairs to see us instead calling our room and telling us they would move us to the handicapped room next door (this was satisfactory to us as our other family members were across the hall) however there was little closet space. I guess they think the handicapped don’t use them? We never did meet the manager but she did comp that first night.
This hotel also has no ice machine available to guests. Instead there is a commercial ice maker in their basement where they fill hotel type ice bucket liner bags with ice then put them in a standup glass fronted freezer in the hallway. Of course by the time they put these bags in the freezer, the ice has melted then solidifies back into a nice ice block which in that state is virtually unusable. This also calls into question as to how sanitary this is as well. How many hands have touched my ice? I shudder to think about it.
Also, they have the idea that the in room ice buckets should be stored on the upper closet shelf in the bathroom along with the accompanying cups. Again, sanitary? We also found multiple extension cords not only in both rooms we had but in my brothers room as well. His ran under the carpet. A clear fire code and life safety violation (can you guess what I do for a living?) We checked previous entries on Trip Advisor and saw all these same issues.
The evening desk clerk was less than helpful and seemed more interested in talking to his significant other than helping guests. Unless of course those guests were women and he became more than helpful. The toilets were commercial power flush type toilets with open fronted seats (none of us had ever seen this in any hotel we stayed in), the bathroom towel racks were rusty as were the bathroom door hinges. There was free wi-fi but we had to call the front desk to get the password.

I will say that the day clerk was very nice and made every attempt to help us, even calling a cab for us when our hired ride didn’t show. The shuttle drivers were the best and were always on time and available to take us to the train station, Reagan Airport, and even came to pick us up after dinner at the restaurant when a severe rainstorm hit the area. The housekeeping staff was very friendly too and kept the rooms very clean. There was also an excellent breakfast provided each day with bagel, waffles, fruit, juice, eggs, and biscuits and gravy. The business center was also top notch.

Over all I would tell you that if you are going to Washington DC and are thinking about staying in Alexandria, don’t stay at the Best Western Old Country Inn.

Room Tip: All the front rooms face the main street (Washington Avenue) and can be noisy so if you do happen to...
Dear CVT59,
First of all I would like to apologize for the experience you had at our hotel. I do understand that coming from the south direction it is a little to hard to see our sign and I am working on putting up a new one out on that corner. I also understand that you had issues with the air conditioner being noisy. Yes I knew of a small hum caused by some vibrations and we were waiting for a specialist to come in and look at it because no one could find anything wrong. So it must have gotten louder then I realized and again I am sorry. I do not know who called and talked to you but I will look into it. I am glad to hear that your room was given to you complimentary for the troubles you had while staying here. Again I apologize and want you to know we take your comments to heart and we are working on making everything better for our guest.
Flemington, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Clean, friendly, and a good value. Free breakfast was satisfying and varied. The shuttle was very convenient and the driver had helpful suggestions. Easy shuttle to Metro station to DC. Service was excellent. Giant grocery store, restaurants within easy walk/shuttle ride. Would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: No elevator to 2nd floor, so specify 1st floor if this would be a problem.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
richmond, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Price wasn't bad for mid-July and the fact that parking, in room Wifi and breakfast were all free! Staff was friendly and helpful. The shuttle to King Street was quick & convenient. Traveling alone with the kids I doubt I'll come back to this hotel. No elevator to the 2nd floor, no pool and it was a little tricky to find. Wouldn't be bad for business travel or a couple who wants a clean place to stay while vacationing.

Dear Kimberly S,
I am glad to hear you had a nice time at our hotel. I see you also enjoyed the Shuttle to King Street where I am sure you had a nice time. Thank you for taking the time to review us and for giving us your opinion.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We enjoyed the decor, and charm of this "Old style" Alexandria hotel. The service and the amenities make it appealing. The information& map we received upon leaving were excellent. I would definitely recommend Old Colony Inn.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn? Share your experiences!