“Hidden Gem!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan
“Hidden Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We felt like we stumbled upon a hidden gem when we walked into the Best Western Colony Inn on Washington Street in Alexandria, VA. It was our first time to the area and the staff was unbelievably helpful in getting us around in the right direction. They explained the public transportation and suggested the best way to get around. Best thing...free parking and free shuttle. We quickly found out how rare that was. The colonial style was present in the hotel and it has a welcoming porch and office. Plus complimentary coffee and snacks. The rooms had free Wifi and comfy triple sheeted beds. Breakfast was included and was different each day. Both warm and cold selections were included. I can't say enough about this motel! It's 8 miles from DC and 8 miles from Mt Vernon. About five blocks from the Potomac and Old Town Alexandria.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Hampshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

An mid-level motel, it provides a clean and quiet room, easy and free parking, a good breakfast, and a good location for the metro to Washington and walk to the town center of Alexandria and the promenade along the Potomac. I have marked it 4* as it is not that expensive for access to Washington. Outside the metro area it would rate as 3*.

A shuttle to the metro is provided, but it is only 10 minutes walk, and it is also a pleasant 10 minute walk to King St restaurants and shops through the old town. The desk is friendly, but insist on a second floor room if you don't mind carrying your cases up the stairs and perhaps waiting for a room to be made ready. The rooms do not have much daylight, and imho, the second floor rooms are a tiny bit lighter and homelier.

Room Tip: Second floor is lighter and airier, I think.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sparta, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We received a favorable rate for the stay and we received a nice comfortable stay. The hotel is clean, the staff is pleasant and helpful. The location and access to the hotel are excellent. There was always ample parking. The room was pleasant although some areas could have been updated as the tub area and the air conditioner/heater was a little noisy and limited in range (cooler-warmer) even though it did work. Our room did not come with a refrigerator which would have been a nice option. I also felt that the maid staff was sometimes skimping on the amenities.... we got soap and shampoo but nothing else. Breakfast was good with ample amounts of food and one hot dish every day. It was a very good basic breakfast. All in all I think this was a good place to stay aside from the items I mentioned before. The hotel is within a ten minute walk from King Street and about the same to the Braddock Rd. Metro station. There are many restaurants and a supermarket close by. The neighborhood was quiet and felt very safe when we walked out at night. They offer a shuttle service to/and from the airport and local areas which is fine (but it does stop at about 8:30 at night). I would probably stay here again as it was a nice setting with only some minor issues.

Room Tip: I liked the room facing Washington St.. Rooms on the other side look at the parking area.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Pros- very good value for the area. They run a free shuttle to a metro station and to old town Alexandria every 30 minutes. The front desk was very helpful and the breakfast was outstanding, they changed the hot food menu every day. We walked several nights to have dinner about 3-4 blocks away and felt very safe.
Cons- bed and pillows were not very comfortable, room was nice and clean but the air conditioner for a central unit was noisy. The bathroom was clean but needs to be updated and exhaust fan is noisy. Some things need to be updated

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Shelby C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate hearing from our guest so that we know what areas we need to work on and what areas we are doing ok. We appreciate your comments and will take a look at that noisy exhaust fan.
Sacramento, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The Old Colony room was basic, but updated with new furnishings and a very comfotable bed. The main amenity is the complimentary shuttle service is convenient in getting to local restaurants, Metro and airport; but it is available only to 9:00 p.m. The neighborhood seems safe, but is not well lit in Old Colony's vicinity. Overall, we believe the Trip Advisor rating is reflective of the very good value we received.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Louisa, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in September of 2012 and was very pleased, so pleased that I went directly back to this hotel when I needed to stay in Alexandria in Sept of 2013. It is not the same. Apparently it is under new management. There were other small indications but it would have been okay except for a 3AM phone call on Sunday morning checking to see if I was in the hotel. There is NO excuse for a 3AM phone call especially when there were already charges on my bill for a refrigerator and candy bought from the store at the hotel. The front desk person who called offered to remove the refrigerator charge from the bill to make up for the 3AM call. When I returned home I called and requested the whole second night be removed from the bill since we were unable to get back to sleep and had only 4 hours sleep. When I called I asked to speak to the manager and was told she was not in. The next time I called I asked to speak to the manager and was told I was speaking to the manager. I swear it was the same voice I had spoken to earlier. I was offered $70 off of the bill which included removing the refrigerator charge. To date I have not seen the $70 off of my bill or a final bill. As near as I can tell I think the refrigerator charge was removed but not the additional $50. I seriously doubt management knows anything about what happened. This is not my first bad experience with a Best Western. I had started staying at Best Westerns again (I travel a lot) since my experience with Old Colony in 2012 but not anymore if I can help it and definitely never again at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Shelby C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear AlisonT874,
Thank you so much for your information regarding your stay and about that 3AM phone call. I am deeply sorry about this and I am going to find out what happened that would cause a call at that time of the morning. I will also make sure you do get your refund. This is not the way we normally run our hotel and I hope you will come back and give us a second chance to show what good customer service we can provide.
San Dimas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was very pleased with the Old Colony Inn. The staff was helpful, and the room was comfortable. A shuttle was available for transportation, but being from the LA area, I perferred having my own car to explore Alexandria and the surrounding areas. I found this historic city very easy to learn, and the restaurants were wonderful - great seafood and wine. The variety of boutiques and their merchandise was a delight to explore.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to BEST WESTERN Old Colony Inn? Share your experiences!